Khalil Mack, OLB/DE, Buffalo

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by kiwitexansfan, Jan 30, 2014.

1. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Since so many other players have threads dedicated to them, I wanted to create one for Mack. If we do trade down I really hope that this is a guy we take a long hard look at.

One of the things that OB and Crennel have talked about is being multiple and flexible, Mack is all that in spades. He is a great athlete, relentless and a gifted rusher.

We need someone other than Watt in the front 7 for offenses to worry about and I think he has that same motor that Watt has.

Thoughts?

LINK to scouting report

2. bhsman

bhsman All Pro

I'd love to get Mack if we trade down; great strength and hand usage, looks natural in coverage, good instincts, etc. He wasn't also just a big fish in a small pond, as he played up to his competition against Ohio State where he had a pick six and multiple sacks against a very athletic dual-threat QB in Braxton Miller.

3. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

The more I watch him the higher he climbs on my board. #2 behind Clowney now. Great athlete, playmaking ability, and has scheme versatility.

He'll be a stud. For our defense, I might even take him before Clowney. He can play SAM in a 43, OLB in a 34, and can spin down to DE in a nickel.

4. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

If we were to trade down and depending on how far down, I'd love to have Mack as a Texan.

5. TexansFTW

TexansFTW All Pro

This guy has been the biggest gainer across many draft "experts" boards.

My question, why wasn't he rated this high after the season?

6. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Buffalo

TexansFTW likes this.
  7. bhsman

bhsman All Pro

Pretty much. He could be a big riser a lá Eric Fisher last year.

8. Blake

Blake MMQB

Hate to say I dont know squat about this kid. Can we draft him and call him Big Mac?

9. aussie_texan

aussie_texan Hall of Fame

this guy as soared up my figurative board. certainly is rated higher the barr who for me has fallen to the bottom of the top 10.

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Mack has been well known in draft circles for awhile, this strikes me more as the flavor of the week. He could have solidified his stock by competing in the Senior Bowl against better talent, but why risk that when media pushes him higher for doing nothing? Even mocked him to Texans mid season, when there still was hope, at least was trying to stay optimistic, looks pretty weakl now I'll admit but **** happens, now some people think he is a top 5 pick, possibly #1? :polevault:

11. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

More goodness from Stephen White...

The Notebook: Khalil Mack is smooth, polished and ready to wreak havoc

His ceiling might not be as high as Jadeveon Clowney's, but Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack is one of the most polished pass rushers in the 2014 NFL Draft. Retired NFL defensive end Stephen White put Mack under the microscope for his latest Notebook.

12. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

If his motor is anywhere near Watt's and Cushing's, then we need look into getting him.

I don't want any more lazy ****s. And I don't want to waste a high pick on a lazy ****.

13. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Agree or not, these are the types of opinions you pretty much ignore. Hoge is the equivalent of Craig James... headline seeker.

NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL
    Hoge said Mack was better than Clowney "by a hundred miles."

14. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    So are over or under? :kitten:

15. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

I mocked him at 1-1. He's the most pro-ready defensive prospect and he doesn't have the Haynesworth bust potential of Clowney. LB is our biggest need after qb, why not take him when QB is so underwhelming at 1-1 this year? Garropolo fills the need in 2nd round...

16. _King_

_King_ Guest

I'd draft Khalil Mack and Kyle van noy.

:drool:

17. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Hoge has turned into one of these guys that just says ridiculous comments for the sake of it sometimes. Just said Mack is the best defensive player he's EVER seen going into the draft....... Mack is a good player, but really Merril? Ever? C'mon now I get it you like him, but geez he makes it hard to take him serious when he says stuff like this.

18. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I do like this guys versatility and sounds like he could fit nicely into Crennel's defense, or anybodys for that matter since he would seem to be able to play OLB in the 4-3 or 3-4. It would also enable us to move Reed inside with Cushing and play Khalil on the outside along with Mercilus.

19. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Mack could be everything these internet scouts say he is. But, he won't make as big an impact as a QB, a true pass rusher like Clowney, or even a franchise LT. Really good LBs without a true impact skill are not selected #1 overall. To me, it's silly to suggest taking a guy like Mack at 1-1. And that's not even taking into consideration his level of competition.

Had the Texans decided to work a deal with New England for Mallett, trading out of 1-1 would have made a lot of sense. At the 5th, 6th, or 7th spot, Mack may have made a lot of sense. But, the Texans still need a QB. And to pass over a QB for a LB, even a very good LB, doesn't add up.

20. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I won't argue your point about QB, but there is an argument to be made that there isn't a franchise QB at #1. I don't necessarily agree with that, but our front office may see it that way.

We already have a franchise LT.

Many don't believe that Clowney is a great fit for Crennel's style of defense, and most agree that Mack is. Plus, Clowney has injury concerns and will be having surgery after the draft. Clowney may be the best 43 DE in this draft but he isn't regarded as the best 34 OLB, which is the position he would be playing.

Mack has a lot of impact skills. He's widely regarded as one of the elite talents in this draft. You can knock him for his level of competition but there was no drop off in his level of play against the good teams that he played.

I'm glad we didn't make a move for Mallett. I think it would have been a big time mistake.

I agree that this team needs a QB. But you don't force one at #1 just because you need one. How many times have we seen this play out and the guy busts? If there is a QB that you like at #1, you take him #1. If there isn't then you move on.

And it seems silly to me that Mack makes a lot of sense at #5, but isn't an option at #1. The days of crazy rookie salaries are over, so you don't have to worry about paying a LB insane money because you took him #1. Take the player that will add the biggest positive impact to your team, regardless of what position he plays.

dc_txtech likes this.