KFFL - Peek Re-signed

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by edo783, May 15, 2006.

1. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

They are reporting that Peek was signed today (RFA?). Might this be the part that was needed to make the Bennet trade? Suposedly he was offered, but they turned it down....might it be because of not being signed? Either way, good to get him signed.

2. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I hope that he sticks around here, but I think that he could fit in pretty well in NO.

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Sweet! :thumbup The more players they have signed and ready going into training camp, the better they can focus on what's most important: football!

4. wicked_wayz

wicked_wayz all blacks

yeeeeeeah peek is a machine on the field, we need him to stay in houston, id rather c wong or polk go altho they too are good players but they're getting old.....

5. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno.....but the way the new Texans coachs (including the HC), talked up
    Peek, I figured he'd be with the team longer than Babin, but maybe they were just trying to build him up as trade bait ? If this report is true about
    his resigning, he should be more marketable now as long as they got a reasonable good deal with him. And IMO they really are interested in the NOLA RB Bennent because DD is still laid up with his bum knee, according to reports.

6. Cincinnatikid

Cincinnatikid Veteran

He already was signed for his RFA year, but does this mean he signed a long term deal?

7. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

His RFA was tendered (offered) by the club, but as I read the KFFL thing, it sounds like he has just now signed it. Might be a longer deal, but doesn't sound that way.

8. David's Busted Carr

David's Busted Carr Veteran

I hope they don't give up Peek for Bennett!

9. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I agree with that. :whip:

10. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I've always felt he was overrated a bit around here. Excellent special team player, but not the dynamic edge rusher everyone thought he was going to be...still waiting on that one.

11. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

For me his pash rushing skills were "over-hyped" 2 years ago when he was a "situational" pash rusher (in between dog house trips) ..... he comes in fresh against tired OLinemen and makes a few sacks ... suddenly we're all (me included) thinking wow if Capers/Fangio would get this guy on the field more often ....

12. Cincinnatikid

Cincinnatikid Veteran

That is a flawed arguement. If the oline was that tired then why didnt the guy he was replacing get the sack the plays right before he came in? I dont think you can evaluate anyones skills on the defense the last couple of years because of how flawed the system was. He will be much better this season if he gets a chance to play.

13. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

I thought other posts suggested Babin was the offered player. Now it's Peek?

14. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

Because the guy he replaced was just as tired as the OL ....

and if that's true I'll be cheering right along with you ....

15. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

From what they have shown on the field, Peek and babin are two halves of an outstanding pass rusher. Peek has excellent speed, but does not show a variety of moves of techniques. Babin has good multiple moves, but does not have the pure edge speed to set-up his guy on a regular basis. Honestly, i think both will be more effective playing along a line with other good pass rushers versus either being counted on as the main guy.

chuckm likes this.
  16. Cincinnatikid

Cincinnatikid Veteran

I think they will both look better since you now have TJ playing his correct position as well. And I also wanted to point out that Peeks sack of Manning in Indy was on the first play of the game, so Im pretty sure his sacks arent all in garbage time. The real question is whether or not he will be on the field this season and at what position. Ive heard that he may still be at the strong side LB position as well as DE. If he does not get playing time this season he will be on another team next year where he will be playing, and playing in a better system that can show his talent.

17. U4ikrob

U4ikrob Guitar Junky

18. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Good I think he is going to be better with his hand in the ground the whole game.
    Or even as a sub, that is a pretty good back up in Peek.

19. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Babin has looked soft in his first two years and I'd guess carried more body fat than ideal. That either means his body is still changing or he is lazy. It could be a combination of both, but he didn’t appear strong enough to bull rush a good DT last year. I look for a guy around his same bodyweight this year but with more definition. If we don't see that in camp, and instead see the same soft-looking Babin, he probably isn't going to make it. He doesn’t have the frame to be a flabby DE.

imo Peek has to prove he can stop the run as a DE, because he wasn't good at it as 3-4 ROLB. I think he can be a good situational pass rusher, but I think we have a problem if he starts for us at RE.

20. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I wouldn't be surprised if Babin is an early cut if they can manage the dead money. He is what he is.