KFFL Notes on Quin, Barwin & Cody

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nero THE zero, Feb 9, 2013.

1. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

http://www.kffl.com/

2. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

If we played a drinking game involving the word "impending" in that article I would be drunk after reading it!

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

What?!?! The franchise tag for safeties is tentatively set at $6.8 million. On what planet is Quin worth $6.8 million/year?

And didn't the Texans say last year that they were going to do everything they could to re-sign Mario? If Barwin can get $20 million guaranteed from another team, I say forget it.

Not re-upping Cody seems inevitable. Damaged goods.

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

ProFootballWeekly reporting that they would not be surprised if the Texans receive a 3rd round compensatory draft pick this year for Mario and Dreesen.

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Here's that comment from PFW.
    The Texans will certainly receive the top compensatory pick (#95 overall). But that is based solely on losing Mario. The compensation for Dreessen will be a late round pick (likely a 6th).

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  6. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Wait a minute Doc. Are saying a 3rd round pick for each? How in the world does Dreesen get us a 3rd round pick? I know he's good, but a 3rd round good! We'll take it! :shades:

7. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Christmas in April. I'll take it.

8. CloakNNNdagger

See Lucky's post above to clarify.

9. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

Quin is the one player I want the Texans to re-sign this off-season but I don't think he's worth the franchise tag. Barwin at 4M+ a year is way too expensive for his three sacks last year. I would rather save that extra money for Cushing next year. Cody can easily be replaced by drafting a DT in the draft.

10. CloakNNNdagger

Could be closer to Christmas than you think.

Here is a projected list of Compensatory Picks for the upcoming draft (all teams included in link).

11. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I thought Donnie Jones would be excluded because of his low level of salary, but I know Lawrence Vickers won't help us as he was not an expiring contract - he was released.

12. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

I'm also interested to see how the impending draft plays out. Along with the impending roster cuts. Hopefully the impending release of Antonio Smith to save some impending cap space doesn't set us back any. It would only be an impending assumption to think that way.

13. CloakNNNdagger

It could be because Vickers Texans 2012 salary was bought out.

14. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

We have no one on our roster that can do what Quinn does for us. We need him under contract ASAP. No point in making more holes.

15. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I'm guessing that was the unamortized portion of the $500,000 signing bonus he received, but even if it was a straight buy-out, it wouldn't make any difference, as he was gone completely at the Texans discretion.

16. CloakNNNdagger

Offseason Forecast: Houston Texans

Don't know that I agree with all the other "key" players.

Wonder how much of our remaining cap space will have to go to "peripheral costs" like IR, PS, etc. Seems like, as things stand, we are going into this season with virtually no money without "creative" budgeting and heavy duty arm twisting. With what the appearance of our cap is, unless we hit it right on almost every Draft pick (ones that are close to "game ready"), we're going to have a real hard time of going into the season as good let alone better than the team we had last year. I just hope we don't get so "creative" with back-loaded renegotiated contracts that we go into a Cap Hell worse in 2014 and 2015, than we have experienced in 2011 and 2012. Though, I haven't appreciated any Cap geniuses on this team yet. :chef:

17. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

come on combine, at least we'll know Texan compensatory picks

18. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

regarding players future contracts, Texans will not franchise a player. It's not in their nature unless he is named Cushing or Watt. I think they would like to resign Barwin, but will be unable & pay a little over to keep Quin while Cody has retreats to his island paradise.

19. JimBaker488

JimBaker488 Veteran

???

20. tru80texan

tru80texan Veteran

Quin is the only one of real importance imo. He has played well since he was drafted & has the potential to get better having only played S the last 2 seasons.

I'm a Barwin fan, but I think his price tag will be too much for the Texans to take a risk on. So ultimately I think Barwin is a goner.

Cody is the defenses version of Walter, likable guy but not a starter. Time for him to move on.

Quin is the only one that can't be easily replaced imo. Mitchell has been slowly overtaking Cody & there are cheaper options that could replace Barwin. We all know Wade loves his ex-cowturds & one players name I believe that could possibly pop up is Victor Butler. Never got chance behind Spencer & Ware, but when Wade was there he was talked about a bit. Time will tell.