KFFL: K. Wong could be a June 1 cut

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans34Life, May 30, 2006.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

Texans | K. Wong could be a June 1 cut; injury may not permit it
    Tue, 30 May 2006 10:26:51 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports Houston Texans LB Kailee Wong could become a June 1 cut. Houston signed Wong to a four-year contract extension last summer and his total deal was worth $17.65 million. Wong did suffer a season-ending patella tendon injury after just five games in 2005, and, for grievance reasons, the Texans might have to wait until he is fully rehabilitated if they choose to release him.

2. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Well that sucks. I mean now we can't let this guy go. CASSERLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Does not surprise me at all. Unfortunately nice, loyal, experienced guys do get released when you add into the equation injuries, cap, competition and new staff putting together a new team that they can coach for one full off season.

4. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

Wong was good for us... dont be mad at casserly

5. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I remember after getting him from the Vikings, they said he was a potential Pro-Bowler. So much for that prediction.

6. CoastalTexan

CoastalTexan Veteran

How much would he cost to cut? With a contract that big it's gotta be a hefty fee.

7. HeartofHouston

HeartofHouston Veteran

I hate to say it but I'm not dissapointed or happy about this move.. mix feelings is more along the line of what I'm aiming at here..

If we do Cut Wong it will help with the salary cap down the line if we dont have to feed him all that money. (Waiting For June 1st is the best move here).. As that frees up money for us to pull in bigger FAs later down the line in a year or 2.

However.. He is a Veteran one of the original Houston Texans, he's a great guy and could teach all this young talent a thing or 2 on the field. Ryans and Mario could really learn from him..

I'm leaning more towards keep Wong.. if he returns to form.. he could be a pro-bowler..

8. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

It's likely he'll never play near the level he played at prior to his injury, and its even possible he may not play again. He will not have much of an impact on Mario, seeing as they play different positions.

9. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Maybe this could be the reason for drafting DeMeco. Our LB's could be DeMeco, Orr, and Greenwood this season if Wong has any problems with that knee or if he is released.

10. YoungTexanFan

True, but none of those guys mentioned are MLB's. Cowart will probally start at MLB, flanked by Greenwood and Ryans. Orr will be the back up.

11. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

You're right I didn't think about that.

12. cincyTEXAN

cincyTEXAN Rookie

its the nfl , i doubt much if any is guaranteed.might take a cap penalty of a million, probably less

13. wicked_wayz

wicked_wayz all blacks

i hate to see him go, hes a great guy but he takes up too much space

its going to be dymeco, cowart, and orr/greenwood

14. YoungTexanFan

I agree. I think Greenwood will start mainly due to his contract, but he should do better in a system he's used to which is the 4-3.

Also, if not for the lack of depth, I wouldn't be surprised to see Greenwood be a June 1st casuality.

15. YoungTexanFan

The cap hit should be more than pocket change. There is absolutely no way we pro-rated his contract until the last 2 years.

16. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

Wong has a good head on him and a great sense of the game (my impression through interviews). I would rather we not drop him; I think he can still add something to the team by way of veteran leadership, the loss of which caused the Houston D to be so pathetic last year. However, sometimes, those injuries are not something you can overcome. I don't want another Joppru waiting for years on end to get better, especially at Kailee's paygrade.

Speaking of Joppru - I see by the Bullpen pics that he is on the practice field. I"m really happy to see that and hope he can give the Texans some return on the dollar. This could be a good year for him.

17. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

There is no way they did not. They paid him a signing bonus rather than a roster bonus. As such it is pro-rated over the term of the contract, i.e. thru 2009. His pro-rated signing bonus for each season is $1.171 mil. Cut him as a June 1st cut and you will save $2 mil on this year's cap (with $1.171 of dead money this year) at the expense of $3.5 mil next year.

Folks are way too fascinated with June 1st cuts. They should only be a mechanism of desparation and sparse use (most teams have recognized this which is why this last few years commentators have mentioned not to expect much in the way of June 1st cuts). Combine the June 1st cuts folks have advocated around here--Payne, Walker, Wade, Wong, Babin, Bruener, etc. and you have around $20 mil of dead cap space next year. Not a good plan.

18. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Veteran leadership? Hmmm.

With today's salary cap NFL, you'd better bring more to the table than 'veteran leadership' . . . like being able to make plays, or not being on the decline talent-wise to go with that back loaded salary. Just ask Jamie Sharper and Aaron Glenn. They had 'veteran leadership', but as you can tell from their on-field production on the teams they went to . . . that's all they had.

It simply isn't enough.

19. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

For the Texans D, it has been enough. The dearth in the Texans defense that both those players left had a lasting effect on the Texans. To some extent, it could have cost Capers his job, IMO. The Texans defense buckled under pressure during the later games last year (Rams, Titans, 49ers, Ravens). Those were the times when the Sharpers and Glenns could have come in handy. A young team did what it should have done, which is buckled.

This year the Texans will be much more capable on the defense because Houston has added veterans like Weaver and Cowhart. I don't know that it will be enough, though.

20. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

AT MOST you will see one more guy cut with a large cap figure after June 1.