Keys to winning against the Steelers

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HardKnockTexan, Sep 13, 2005.

1. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

1. Controlling the line of scrimage on both sides of the ball
    -- They are great at running the ball. We MUST push the LOS back and give our linebackers space to make plays. On offense, our line needs to be patient and maintain their assignments. WE HAVE TO ESTABLISH THE RUN TO WIN

2. Get Andre the ball.
    -- He is the best player on the team and if isnt given the oportunity to make plays this week, we will not win. He will be double and tripled teamed so Gaffney, Bradford and Mathis need to find a way to take a little preasure off of AJ.

3. A leader on both sides of the ball must emerge.
    -- We need a leader. Someone needs to take this bull by the horns! On offense we lack confidence. A leader needs to step up this week and show them how to be successfull. On defense we need to get mean. INTESITY IS NEEDED!

4. Cant let Big Ben get comfortable.
    -- A pass rush has to happen. If we somehow shut down their running game and force them into passing situations then Big Ben cant feel like he has all day to throw to Ward or Randal El.

This is a winnable game... our players just have to believe that they can DO IT!

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  2. LBC_Justin

LBC_Justin All Pro

I agree that is what we need to do to win.

Steelers are the masters of controling both the O-line and D-line. So we will need to play great and play with emotion and some desperation.

Also if you watched the Steelers game on sunday their LBs made big plays, cause fumbles, INTs, and generally cause havok all over the Titans Offense. Ours need to do the same thing.

3. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

I was gonna say right before the game go into the locker room and switch out the jerseys so the Steelers will be unexpectingly scoring for the Texans.

4. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

One key point you didn't mention:

Hide the Steelers uniforms say they can't play

LOL, I'm just kidding....I am looking foward to rebounding back and shocking the NFL this week.

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

JMO, but what needs to happen (one of them) is for Capers/Palmer/Carr to act as if AJ is a bonus guy out there--you only get to use him once you have earned the bonus by completely 5 passes to other players. Come out with a game plan of hitting passes against single coverage to Gaffney, Bradford, Armstrong and Murphy. In other words, make them the 1st read for Carr rather than AJ and attack the single coverage directly instead of read AJ, think about reading #2, oh crud, turf or sideline.

jr0ck likes this.
  6. texans coach

texans coach Rookie

Those guys can take pressure off 80, if given the opportunity. No balls no yards!!!!!

7. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

When I watched MNF last night. I noticed how pumped those players were (John Kerney) we need that. I know it is just emotion after one play but someone has got to give us something to look forward too so when he does it the crowd and team can get into it. I know everyone hates endzone dancing but this team needs anything they can get.

8. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

1 Minute Ago 01:50 PM
    El Tejano When I watched MNF last night. I noticed how pumped those players were (John Kerney) we need that. I know it is just emotion after one play but someone has got to give us something to look forward too so when he does it the crowd and team can get into it. I know everyone hates endzone dancing but this team needs anything they can get.

I agree! Also I loved how pumped up both teams were before the game. The pregame fight was dumb, but how about both teams yelling and jumping and just getting ready for the game right after the fight? We are lacking that kind of intensity and need to find it somewhere... somehow...

9. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Block and Tackle. Thats all thats required.

10. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

I think the most important thing for the Texans to do in the game is:

A. Win the coin toss.
    B. Elect to receive.
    C. Run play action Carr roll out to a TE or other receiver besides AJ.

D1. If play 1 is complete, then sweep Davis.
    D2. If play 1 is incomplete, three step drop, hit AJ on a short slant.

If we run Davis up the middle on play 1 of the offensive series, I am going to impale myself on Toro's horns. So predictable.

We have to do everything we can on the first series of the game to wipe the cobwebs from Buffalo.

If we lose the coin toss, I get the sense that the defense will give up at least 3 and the offernse will feel too much pressure to get in a rhythm.

11. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

To much team speed for sweeps. The weakness of a 3-4 is smashmouth. Get big OL on line backers. You have to make them hurt for making tackles. The good backs delever the blow, and thats important in establishing the run game.

12. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Protect the ball and keep your head in the game (dumb penalties)

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

You may have hit upon something here .... By Carr willingly throwing to the other recievers it SHOULD open up the running game and later leave single coverage on AJ. Sounds good in theory ..... but Can / Will they execute ?

14. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Gaff should draw pressure from AJ. mathis should too. mathis has a slight advantage because there is no film of him in a real game.

15. titan hater

titan hater Veteran

How can anyone be optiistic after Sunday...I am afraid we are turning into the browns...nothing but "next year"...constant rebuilding...new coaches....new GM....Damn, the Buff game has ruined my entire week!!!!

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Keys to winning against the Steelers: Magic Football Pixie Dust.

“It's Magic Football Pixie Dust.”

“What's it do?”

“Your team crashes and burns on the road. Sprinkle on the Pixie Dust. The team comes home and wins against a legitimate playoff team! Sprinkle it on regularly and your team becomes a playoff contender too!.”

“Is it biodegradable?”

“Sure.” ...

17. scorpio76

scorpio76 Rookie

Three Step Drop!!!!!!!

18. scorpio76

scorpio76 Rookie

It is clear that we lost the team leader when Shaper left. Babin for D-Rob and even Buc need to step up and take this def on their backs. They are young yes but if not them who? If not now when? We need some aggresive players AND COACHES. That is the whole deal with Houston. All our pro teams are too passive. WE NEED TO BE AGRESIVE! This is football not Fotball.

19. scorpio76

scorpio76 Rookie

Keep in mind after all the horror the off. did the D did keep them out of the endzone on 5 of so occassions.

20. JmikeT

JmikeT Rookie

I like the keys in concept, however, unless the game plan includes blitzs that are not obvious, and an offense that shows up then the defense will lay down.
    I thought it was a bend don't break defense, unfortunately the offense has taken the same approach - bend don't score!