Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Key to success

Against New England Monday night something stood out to me in the middle of the fireworks display.

3rd down.

Miami's 3rd down offense converted a pathetic 14.3% of 3rd downs. That is abysmal.

Miami's 3rd down defense allowed a 1st down conversion on 61.5% of all attempts.

Compare that to the Texans offense (45.5% very good) and defense (11.1% Epic)

If the Texans can win on first down this game should be theirs for the taking.

What is your key to victory this Sunday?

Key is to contain & frustrate Henne into making bad decisions :firehair: then capitalizing on them, executing effiecent & time cosmuming scoring drives :)

Pass rush and the auxiliaries (those not wearing 80 8or 23) stepping up and making plays. I thiNK OD will have a good game I.e . 80+ and 2 td's to go with one from dre and one from foster. And 2 fg ... we match our 34 pts from last week ... and D holds em to 21....

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

1. Establish the run, to set up play action
2. Get constant pressure on Henne (see colts game)
3. Protect the football

On defense- constant pressure , collapsing the pocket while not leaving running lanes for Henne to escape. Dont make the secondary cover too long. Do that and Henne will make a few mistakes.

The weather could be bad if so stopping the run on early downs is key. Force them into passing situations where its much more difficult in the rain.

Offensively - establish the run and play action. Protect Schaub.

I get the idea that the only way Miami wins this game is if the Texans beat themselves - Dont turn the ball over !

The way I see it we have 5 main keys to success

1)Our DT's in the 4-3 (Watt and Smith most likely) need to realize that Henne is not your typical pocket passer. He is a very mobile QB with underrated speed. We need this guys to stay disciplined and not allow a huge crease for Henne to run in.

2)Like always this offense needs to establish the run to be as dominant as they can be. Like we all know Schaub is one of the best play-action qbs in the league if not the best. By establishing the run it will set up our deadly play-action allowing AJ to get one-on-one action which he will dominate.

3)We also need production from everyone on this team not just the main three. We need Jacoby to step up at that #2 slot and block effectively when asked to. We need Cody/Mitchell to dominate the LOS. We need effective tackling when going up against Reggie Bush, Brandon Marshall, Davone Bess especially in the open field.

4)Win the turnover battle. We need this secondary to make some plays and get some interceptions. We need our pass rushers to get to the QB and if they can not sack him get enough pressure on him to mess him him.

5)Win ST. We had a really solid ST last week with the Jacoby PR TD and Mannings KR to start the game off. Big ST plays can reverse the field and turn what seems to be a daunting task be way more manageable.

If we have these 5 aspects, I see it very hard for the Dolphins to keep up

The defense needs to get after Henne and frustrate him with alot of different looks. That will keep the ball out of Brandon Marshall's hands. Contain Bush and make him have to run between the tackles. Hopefully Daniel Thomas doesn't figure out how to run in the NFL in our game.

On offense the Texans need to score early and often so our defense can get after the QB. Pound the rock! Play action to AJ and JJ and Daniels.

I think the Eric Winston/Cameron Wake match-up will be the key. If Wake is effective putting pressure on Schaub, if he has multiple sacks, our offense is going to go South.

We also bootleg to Wakes side a lot, if he key's in on the boot, that will nullify much of our passing game, & Winston has nothing to do with that.

I think the Eric Winston/Cameron Wake match-up will be the key. If Wake is effective putting pressure on Schaub, if he has multiple sacks, our offense is going to go South.

We also bootleg to Wakes side a lot, if he key's in on the boot, that will nullify much of our passing game, & Winston has nothing to do with that.

Last week Winston got a healthy dose of Mathis .... and handled him most of the day. Better player , Mathis or Wake ?

To the bold - Wake figuring out the boot does have a lot to do with the OT on the roll side of the play ..... He's got to make sure to turn the guy inside and at the very least keep him occupied. No missing cut blocks ....

And keep the guy occupied when its a screen type play ..... like the first play in SF. Im still having nightmares wondering how he could miss that assignment.

What they will do with wake on bootlegs:

If he is head up or outside of the offensive tackle they will basically leave him free. The offensive tackle has to sell the run when he takes his zone step. Selling the run starts with the oline, literally and figuratively.

If he's playing it correctly and Matt can't find open receivers then they will likely go away from it and try something else.

If wake is not even honoring the possibility that it could be a run, the cut back lane could lead to huge rushing yards.

What they will do with wake on bootlegs:

If he is head up or outside of the offensive tackle they will basically leave him free. The offensive tackle has to sell the run when he takes his zone step. Selling the run starts with the oline, literally and figuratively.

If he's playing it correctly and Matt can't find open receivers then they will likely go away from it and try something else.

If wake is not even honoring the possibility that it could be a run, the cut back lane could lead to huge rushing yards.

Foster will exploit that and have a huge day if thats the case.

Im a bit concerned with the weather and field conditions ....

Foster will exploit that and have a huge day if thats the case.

Im a bit concerned with the weather and field conditions ....
On another thread I noted Foster to run for almost 200 yds. He will be eager to show he has it just like his first game last year. He has added incentative with Tate looking good last week.

On another thread I noted Foster to run for almost 200 yds. He will be eager to show he has it just like his first game last year. He has added incentative with Tate looking good last week.

He has a few million incentives ..... he's looking to get paid after this season.

I applaud the guy for playing under his current terms when so many others piss and moan about it.

He has a few million incentives ..... he's looking to get paid after this season.

I applaud the guy
for playing under his current terms when so many others piss and moan about it.
Foster has the quiet resolve of Earl Campbell and the quirkiness of Ricky Williams. He could be a better NFl back than either of them. Wouldn't that be something?

I'm hoping we do bootleg to Wake's side quite a bit early on. That will wear him down fast. I would really like to see the offense use a fast tempo like NE did, also. It's easier for OL to pass pro than it is for DL to pass rush and the DL get's worn out. I think that was a key to NE's success last week and we should emulate it if we can.

I'd like to see what Wade's blitzes look like. We dialed it down a little in the Colts in the 2nd half.
Henne had a lot of yards last week and our pass defense has still to be tested.

IMHO, Schaub is the biggest key. If he's on with his throws and makes good decisions, no way we lose this game.

Back