Key Texan against Saints

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Sep 23, 2011.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Which player or coach will be biggest factor in a Texans win?

2. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I would say our QB Matt schaub :kitten:

3. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Ben Tate. Just pounding the ball effectively and running the clock will help neutralize the Saints offense. The longer they're off the field the better.

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

first real test for the secondary. Wade won't be able to flood the gaps and zone up the back end against the Saints high powered attack. It wouldn't shock me to see us give up some points, but it also wouldn't shock me to see us keep them under 20 since the defense looks so disciplined and active so far. Teams start breaking down film and exploiting holes as the defense accumulates snaps. The Saints have two good games to look at while the Dolphins and the Colts only really had old Cowboy film to watch. Manning overplays his coverage responsibility at times. Brees can exploit this.

5. TheGoldenGreek

TheGoldenGreek Rookie

Wade Phillips vs Drew Brees is the key IMO. It all depends on if Wade is able to disguise the blitzes well enough to pressure Brees and make him uncomfortable.

6. Rey

Rey Guest

I agree to a certain extent. This isn't exactly like chess where pieces are just moved into position. . .guys still have to make plays once they are put into position.

Personally, I think the biggest match up will be our entire defense vs drew brees and Darren sproles. Those are the two guys who can consistently change a game in the blink of and eye. Get pressure on brees, disguise your coverages and keep sproles from making big plays on screen and special teams and I think we win.

7. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

Comes down to our Pressure on Brees and our running game. Not sure if a single player is the key, but I'll go Mario.

8. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

One of the keys, IMO, is how well Schaub and Tate (if he plays nearly as much as last game) pick up the blitz.

I hope they don't get to Schaub early and caused him to be off him normal game.

I hope that Kubiak game-plan to account for the blitz early on so that our offense can establish a rythm, especially that the game will be played on their turf.

9. HOUFan

HOUFan Rookie

I have to agree, it comes down to our defense putting pressure and what Wade draws up for our defense. If we can pressure Brees and take the crowd out of the game early then I like our chances to get an early lead.

10. False Start

False Start On # 69

As others have said, its Wade. I would like to see his history vs the current Saints roster, with Brees etc.

11. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

And have the DL sWATTing at balls if they aren't getting to the QB. Brees is short for a QB and maybe we can change his throwing lanes enough to mess his timing and accuracy up.

12. SaintRusty

SaintRusty Rookie

He has had trouble with this in the past, although it hasn't really been a problem since 09. Not a bad idea though.

13. 2slik4u

2slik4u Hall of Fame

I would say its Jonathan Joseph....

OR

Mario Willams.

Either one effects the other....you know, that whole chicken or the egg arguement.

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

The entire Oline.

I have little doubt the Saints are going to score points. We just need to score more and our Oline must keep Schaub somewhat clean and give Tate/Foster some seams.

thunderkyss likes this.
  15. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I think that's why he tends to throw longer passes. It gives him a higher launch angle to compensate for his height. I'm looking for any advantage the Texans DL can get.

16. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I don't agree that it's Phillips vs Brees because I think Sean Payton plays just as big of a role with what the offense does, as Brees does.

And honestly, I think our offense getting points on what I consider an overrated Saints defense is key to me. I can't point to one player or coach (I guess Kubiak/Dennison), because I think the entire offense needs to play a really solid game to give us the best shot of winning. While our defense is good, I don't think we're going to be winning this game 10 - 7 or 16 - 13.

17. False Start

False Start On # 69

Yeah, lets hope Winston has a better game than he did vs Miami.

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

True, he definitely needs to. Wade Smith had a bit of a rough outing too. I thought Wade was awesome last season and expect him to rebound.

19. TexansForTheW

TexansForTheW Veteran

I think Mario will have a huge game. Just one of those feelings.

20. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Quick passes to whomever is playing TE.

:coffee: