Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kevin Walter??

Beau Texan

Practice Squad
u can kiss demeco ryans good bye too! the leading tackler on the team and they won't pay him. well at least we'll get a 1 & a 3rd round pick for him.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
u can kiss demeco ryans good bye too! the leading tackler on the team and they won't pay him. well at least we'll get a 1 & a 3rd round pick for him.
This is a pretty worthless comment. Do you have any facts do base this on?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
This is a pretty worthless comment. Do you have any facts do base this on?
Yep, pretty much. According to everything put out so far, negoations are under way. And that can mean a lot of different things as we all know by now.

HuttoKarl

Veteran
One thing to note on this situation is that remember Kevin Walter is facing the one time in his career where he can potentially cash in for that one huge payday. He was a low round draft pick, and did not get silly money from the Texans when he signed here. Even if the Texans have offer a good contract, my guess is that Walter feels (I don't know him obviously) that he owes it to himself and his family to see what is out there especially in a thin FA WR market.
I definitely couldn't fault him for taking the biggest payday he can get. I would hope it would be from us, but I'm not really holding out hope at this point.

Mike Kerns

LYSB Podcast
Texans are trying to re-sign Kevin Walter. If he gets a better offer somewhere else, Jacoby Jones will be elevated. That's scary.
Per McClain.

I guess I'm the only one who actually likes Jacoby.

m5kwatts

Veteran
Per McClain.

I guess I'm the only one who actually likes Jacoby.
I think whats "scary" about it is his work ethic and dedication... although with a potential starting gig as the carrot dangled in front of your face, I'd think he'd sack up and put in the work. The benching at the end of the season was disturbing for a guy who seemed to have turned a corner.

I don't think anyones questioning his ability if his minds right. He could have a huge year.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
I think whats "scary" about it is his work ethic and dedication... although with a potential starting gig as the carrot dangled in front of your face, I'd think he'd sack up and put in the work. The benching at the end of the season was disturbing for a guy who seemed to have turned a corner.

I don't think anyones questioning his ability if his minds right. He could have a huge year.
I think we need to resign Walter, but JJ has to get more PT. If you don't trust him enough to use him more this year, cut bait and go after a small school speed guy in the later rounds. Time to **** or get off the pot, IMO.

Cjeremy635

Overtraining

This. :cutthroat:

Cjeremy635

Overtraining
EH....I would like to have walter but its not gonna break my heart if he leaves. I think Jacoby would taken over the #2 spot anyways. Hes a great player but I think the Texans will move on and find someone to take his spot.
I keep reading that from posters on here, but I just don't get the warm and fuzzies for the guy. I think he's got great speed and makes a few good plays for you, but I don't have confidence in him like I do for Kevin. I think that Jacoby scared the crap out of me with the muffed punts and I've never gotten over that.....makes me hold my breath when he runs with the ball too. I also got really disappointed when he got left at home for a game due to his actions. The more I think about it, maybe it's his maturity issues that bother me more than anything else. Bad thing about it though, his maturity will directly impact his growth as a player. I just feel that it's a step backwards with him as our main #2 instead of a step forward. If Kevin ends up leaving, I hope to hell that I'm wrong.

J_R

Veteran
All the signs,reports,etc point to Kevin leaving. Hate to see him go. I'm not one who is comfortable with JJ as the #2. Him, DA, and AD are suited just fine in the roles they are in with this team imo. He has some maturing to do [as the poster above pointed out] before I'd be comfortable giving him the starting job.

2slik4u

Veteran
I keep reading that from posters on here, but I just don't get the warm and fuzzies for the guy. I think he's got great speed and makes a few good plays for you, but I don't have confidence in him like I do for Kevin. I think that Jacoby scared the crap out of me with the muffed punts and I've never gotten over that.....makes me hold my breath when he runs with the ball too. I also got really disappointed when he got left at home for a game due to his actions. The more I think about it, maybe it's his maturity issues that bother me more than anything else. Bad thing about it though, his maturity will directly impact his growth as a player. I just feel that it's a step backwards with him as our main #2 instead of a step forward. If Kevin ends up leaving, I hope to hell that I'm wrong.
Im not saying Jacoby is already there. The guy showed great progress last year with his route running, pass catching, and of course big play abilities. I think the fact that Kubes left his ass home was one of the best things to happen to him. I think that was some sort of wake up call for the guy. I too hold my breathe every time he returns punts but he has fielded many punts since his last muffed one. That shows a lot to me that he is working on his faults and he wants to get better. Im just saying, Kevin Walter never had that big play ability, he was always just a solid possesion guy. dont get me wrong, i like that stability but the upside on Jacoby is very exciting. I think AJ and Jacoby next year will turn heads as one of the premiere WR duos in the league.

You heard it here first.

If we can somehow field AJ as #1, Jacoby as #2 on the other side and K-dub as our slot WR, that would be ideal and dangerous at the same time.

Cjeremy635

Overtraining
Im not saying Jacoby is already there. The guy showed great progress last year with his route running, pass catching, and of course big play abilities. I think the fact that Kubes left his ass home was one of the best things to happen to him. I think that was some sort of wake up call for the guy. I too hold my breathe every time he returns punts but he has fielded many punts since his last muffed one. That shows a lot to me that he is working on his faults and he wants to get better. Im just saying, Kevin Walter never had that big play ability, he was always just a solid possesion guy. dont get me wrong, i like that stability but the upside on Jacoby is very exciting. I think AJ and Jacoby next year will turn heads as one of the premiere WR duos in the league.

You heard it here first.

If we can somehow field AJ as #1, Jacoby as #2 on the other side and K-dub as our slot WR, that would be ideal and dangerous at the same time.
That's what I admire about Kevin. His ability to go across the middle and make the tough catch. I'm hoping JJ proves me wrong, I just think it's still a year early in his development for him to be the solid #2. If he could step up big this year (play and maturity), then I may feel more at ease with him taking on that role in the 2011 season.

2slik4u

Veteran
That's what I admire about Kevin. His ability to go across the middle and make the tough catch. I'm hoping JJ proves me wrong, I just think it's still a year early in his development for him to be the solid #2. If he could step up big this year (play and maturity), then I may feel more at ease with him taking on that role in the 2011 season.
Only time will tell my friend.....only time. For my prides sake (and the team of course), I hope Im right.

Cjeremy635

Overtraining
Only time will tell my friend.....only time. For my prides sake (and the team of course), I hope Im right.
For our team's sake, I hope you're right too. I'd love to have my concerns lifted on this issue. If JJ can get it all to come together, he'll be really successful for us. I just see him as his own worst enemy though.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
If KW leaves, that elevates WR on our list of needs to bring in some competition for JJ and take over JJ's return duties if they don't beat him out in camp.

I'd love to see Jordan Shipley in a Texan uniform if KW signs elsewhere. If we don't find a replacement atleast at JJ's position the passing offense will suffer which we certainly cannot afford.

Cjeremy635

Overtraining
My biggest question is what are they (the powers that be) planning? I could only see letting him walk if we have plans to upgrade at the position. It would aggrevate me to slide sideways and really piss me off to take a step backwards at the position. I'm trying to keep faith until proven wrong though. It's still early and I can't afford to start having anxiety attacks at this point in the offseason! :hairpull:

2slik4u

Veteran
If KW leaves, that elevates WR on our list of needs to bring in some competition for JJ and take over JJ's return duties if they don't beat him out in camp.

I'd love to see Jordan Shipley in a Texan uniform if KW signs elsewhere. If we don't find a replacement atleast at JJ's position the passing offense will suffer which we certainly cannot afford.
jeez, if we could see shipley in a texan jersey.....they might as well give us the damn lombardi trophy.:sarcasm:

but seriously, that would be friggin awesome. out goes KW and in comes shipley? fuhgetta about it.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
My biggest question is what are they (the powers that be) planning? I could only see letting him walk if we have plans to upgrade at the position. It would aggrevate me to slide sideways and really piss me off to take a step backwards at the position. I'm trying to keep faith until proven wrong though. It's still early and I can't afford to start having anxiety attacks at this point in the offseason! :hairpull:
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they use a 2nd round pick on a WR if KW leaves. I would be a bit perturbed if they used a 1st but I wouldn't be opposed to a 2nd. You've gotta make sure the strength of your team keeps on moving like a well oiled machine.

That's why the Colts are always contenders (other than Seyton of course) they are always looking to find # 18 weapons to make sure he can do his job well. Remember when they drafted Gonzo in the 1st round after already having Harrison/Wayne at WR and Dallas Clark at TE? You've gotta keep the strength of your team in optimal condition if you want to win games.

We need to get stronger in the trenches on both sides of the ball but we also need to realize that we aren't gonna be developing gameplans to beat teams at the point of attack running the ball 40+ times in a game. We're a passing team, our HC is a former QB, we have weak but fast OL. If we want to win we've gotta play to our strengths.

If KW walks, WR is just as important as all our other needs imo. If JJ doesn't work out we've gotta have somebody who can step up to the plate and take pressure off of AJ/OD. On the other hand, if JJ shines we've gotta have somebody who can take PRs to JJ's momma on gameday.

Cjeremy635

Overtraining
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they use a 2nd round pick on a WR if KW leaves. I would be a bit perturbed if they used a 1st but I wouldn't be opposed to a 2nd. You've gotta make sure the strength of your team keeps on moving like a well oiled machine.

That's why the Colts are always contenders (other than Seyton of course) they are always looking to find # 18 weapons to make sure he can do his job well. Remember when they drafted Gonzo in the 1st round after already having Harrison/Wayne at WR and Dallas Clark at TE? You've gotta keep the strength of your team in optimal condition if you want to win games.

We need to get stronger in the trenches on both sides of the ball but we also need to realize that we aren't gonna be developing gameplans to beat teams at the point of attack running the ball 40+ times in a game. We're a passing team, our HC is a former QB, we have weak but fast OL. If we want to win we've gotta play to our strengths.

If KW walks, WR is just as important as all our other needs imo. If JJ doesn't work out we've gotta have somebody who can step up to the plate and take pressure off of AJ/OD. On the other hand, if JJ shines we've gotta have somebody who can take PRs to JJ's momma on gameday.
I see what you're saying. My main problem with the situtation, atleast how I see it, is that we have too many positions of NEED to fill instead of spending high draft picks on WANTS. Does that make sense? What I'm referring to are CB, Safety, DT, etc. If we are planning a FA move to upgrade those positions,that's one thing, but I'd hate to see us let KW walk and have to use a 2nd round draft pick on a receiver. It would be one thing if we were one solid #2 away from a super bowl run, but we have higher priorities, IMHO, for us to become a legit playoff team.

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
If Walter leaves (hopefully not), I could see the Texans spending a higher pick on a wideout. Anybody else see Arrelious Benn being a good fit in Walter's role?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If Walter leaves (hopefully not), I could see the Texans spending a higher pick on a wideout. Anybody else see Arrelious Benn being a good fit in Walter's role?
I would love to see Benn drafted in the 2nd rd.

It could happen if the Texans can fill 3 needs in FA.

Probably not gonna happen.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I see what you're saying. My main problem with the situtation, atleast how I see it, is that we have too many positions of NEED to fill instead of spending high draft picks on WANTS. Does that make sense? What I'm referring to are CB, Safety, DT, etc. If we are planning a FA move to upgrade those positions,that's one thing, but I'd hate to see us let KW walk and have to use a 2nd round draft pick on a receiver. It would be one thing if we were one solid #2 away from a super bowl run, but we have higher priorities, IMHO, for us to become a legit playoff team.
Plenty of playoff teams that had holes this past season. There's not a single team out there that doesn't have a noticeable weakness at a position on the roster. The key is to minimize the weaknesses while maximizing the strengths.

Say we find a DT in the 2nd round. We "banged the hole" as threetoedpete puts it but we passed up a replacement for either KW's # 2 WR position or JJ's production at WR/PR unless we nail a pick in the later rounds. Plus DTs normally take a couple years to be productive (we're still waiting on our top 10 DT to be less baby and more Sapp).

If KW leaves, WR is just as high a priority. We need to make sure Schaub maintains high quality targets, especially if OD doesn't come return 100% or football gods forbid AJ gets hurt.

J_R

Veteran
Ravens beat writer Jamison Hensley reiterates that there is "strong talk" linking free agent Kevin Walter to the Ravens as the open market approaches.

It's notable that both of the Ravens' top two reporters -- Hensley and Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times -- are picking up very positive vibes about Walter. Baltimore currently appears the clear-cut favorite to sign him.

Hello Jacoby?

Shipley gets mentioned in a lot of articles about the types of players that aren't real flashy but end up having solid NFL careers. He could probably fit the KW role just fine. It won't take a high draft pick to get him either.

My belief is the Texans should do what it takes to keep KW.
Because defenses paid more attention to KW last year is a big reason OD went off.
Also, (and follow me here), the reason Rich Gannon had such great years in Oakland was because he could trust his WR's to run the right routes every time. He had J Rice and T Brown.
One of the reasons Schaub had such a good year last year was he could trust AJ, Walter and OD to most always run the right route.
Can the same be said of Jacoby Jones? I highly doubt it. If KW walks, watch Schaub's INT's go up next year.
In an uncapped year, there is no excuse to let KW sign with another team.

....and that's all I got to say about that.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
Shipley gets mentioned in a lot of articles about the types of players that aren't real flashy but end up having solid NFL careers. He could probably fit the KW role just fine. It won't take a high draft pick to get him either.
I love me some Jordan Shipley, and would love him in a Texans uniform, but he needs about 4" in height and 15 to 20 pounds of mass to be K-Dub. I'm sure he can get the weight, but I don't know if he can be stretched to 6' 3" or so. Height can be important for a pocession type reciever, expecially in the end zone.

I think that Safety and Weak Side LB's will have thier way with Shipley in the NFL. But hey I could be wrong, and I hope I am, because as I said I like the guy.....

infantrycak

Hall of Fame

Folks keep saying things like this and it is unrealistic. The players aren't wanting one year contracts that will only apply in the uncapped year. They are wanting 5-7 year deals and so the teams have to plan for more than just this uncapped year.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
My belief is the Texans should do what it takes to keep KW.
Because defenses paid more attention to KW last year is a big reason OD went off.
Also, (and follow me here), the reason Rich Gannon had such great years in Oakland was because he could trust his WR's to run the right routes every time. He had J Rice and T Brown.
One of the reasons Schaub had such a good year last year was he could trust AJ, Walter and OD to most always run the right route.
Can the same be said of Jacoby Jones? I highly doubt it. If KW walks, watch Schaub's INT's go up next year.

You are dead on BFR. I think a lot of folks are underestimating the impact KW has on this offense. I think the system helps him a lot too, but if he's gone I have a bad feeling........

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Wide receiver Kevin Walter is the most in-demand. According to this note that appeared early this morning in the St. Petersburg Times, Walter has been linked to several teams including the Ravens, Bucs, Bears. Patriots, and Jaguars. Walter has also been mentioned along with Cleveland and Cincinnati. Any team needing a solid #2 wide out is probably interested.
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2010m3d5-Texans-unrestricted-free-agent-update--Walter-in-high-demand
Sounds like KW is drawing lots of interest.

J_R

Veteran
^^Yeah sounds like Kevin Walter is gone.

I'm somewhat surprised there has been no mention or talk of the Texans trying to work something out with him. Only "we want him back".

Wide receiver Kevin Walter is the most in-demand. According to this note that appeared early this morning in the St. Petersburg Times, Walter has been linked to several teams including the Ravens, Bucs, Bears. Patriots, and Jaguars. Walter has also been mentioned along with Cleveland and Cincinnati. Any team needing a solid #2 wide out is probably interested.
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2010m3d5-Texans-unrestricted-free-agent-update--Walter-in-high-demand
And it sucks the Texans aren't taking care of their own! KW should be here! Had a injury season last year but is a heck of a footbal player!

J_R

Veteran
LanceZierlein Texans losing Kevin Walter not the end of the world but he is a pro and a guy the texans could count on. They don't have that luxury now

jaayteetx

All Pro
I like KW and all, but something tells me his production is gonna go way down without the luxury of lining up opposite of the best WR in the game. JJ needs to see the field more anyway, he is a playmaker plain and simple.

TEXANS84

Staff member
I'd get pissed if KW signs with JAX.

False Start

On # 69
Yeah, this really sucks. Losing K Dub is going to really hurt this offense more than some folks think. I really hope we have a back up plan, that doesn't involve JJ. While JJ showed improvement last season, I still don't trust the guy to be our # 2 receiver.

LonerATO

All Pro
Something tells me that he goes for the cash and the Texans wont match the amount, but I would be ok with that as long as they pay Ryans, Daniels and Pollard.

TheCD

Rookie
Folks keep saying things like this and it is unrealistic. The players aren't wanting one year contracts that will only apply in the uncapped year. They are wanting 5-7 year deals and so the teams have to plan for more than just this uncapped year.
Because this year is uncapped, isn't it possible to give KW a frontloaded contract with most of the guaranteed money he's seeking this year, and thus reverting to a very manageable contract from there on if the cap returns? That seems like it would be doable if we really wanted him back.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Because this year is uncapped, isn't it possible to give KW a frontloaded contract with most of the guaranteed money he's seeking this year, and thus reverting to a very manageable contract from there on if the cap returns? That seems like it would be doable if we really wanted him back.
McNair could do this with any FA.

Dont look for this to happen though.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Something tells me that he goes for the cash and the Texans wont match the amount, but I would be ok with that as long as they pay Ryans, Daniels and Pollard.
I don't think the Texans get the opp to match any offer KW receives because
he's an Unrestricted FA.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Sure but that is just an accounting issue which doesn't really affect the underlying contract. Being an uncapped year doesn't mean a 5 year $25 mil player suddenly becomes worth 5 year $35 mil.

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
Sure but that is just an accounting issue which doesn't really affect the underlying contract. Being an uncapped year doesn't mean a 5 year $25 mil player suddenly becomes worth 5 year $35 mil.
if he ends up signing a $35 million dollar deal, then he is worth the money. Market dictates your salary, not solely your play. You can think he is only worth $25 million but if someone else pays him more that doesn't mean he isn't worth it, that just means you weren't willing to pony up the money.

Bottom line is that we are losing players left and right (perhaps one of the hardest hit of any team) while we are Top 5 Revenue team that is supposedly trying to take the next step and make the playoffs. Is this a great job? Are the Texans doing the right thing by getting worse? Really?

The Chargers could end up losing a lot of starters, but other than them I think the Texans could be the hardest hit of any team. Why is that? Why can't we keep our players.

Look at what Detroit, EVEN DETROIT, did with VandenBosch. They frontloaded his deal giving him $10 million in 2010 (the uncapped year). But you know what that takes? Cash. Money. McNair seems he loves money more than winning. $500 million increase in his franchise just isn't enough I guess. Raise Ticket Prices. Drop Payroll. :(

Go Texans?

TheCD

Rookie
What I'm getting at is this:

Say KW wants a $30 mil. contract for 5 years with $15 mil. guaranteed. That's a base salary of $3 mil. per year. Couldn't we frontload $10 mil. in the first year in guaranteed money so that we're only paying him a little over $4 mil. per year if the cap comes back so that we can keep him at a price that he wants?

Now this all presumes that we want him back. But I think that's the key to getting any FA this year that wants big money. A reasonable salary with a frontloaded contract that can be absorbed while there is no cap.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame

Say KW wants a $30 mil. contract for 5 years with $15 mil. guaranteed. That's a base salary of $3 mil. per year. Couldn't we frontload $10 mil. in the first year in guaranteed money so that we're only paying him a little over $4 mil. per year if the cap comes back so that we can keep him at a price that he wants?

Now this all presumes that we want him back. But I think that's the key to getting any FA this year that wants big money. A reasonable salary with a frontloaded contract that can be absorbed while there is no cap.
Yes, the Lions have done this with the KVB deal, apparently. What you do is split the guaranteed money into a signing bonus and a roster bonus. So, if $20 million is guaranteed, you give a $10 million signing bonus and $10 million roster bonus owed the player if he's on the roster in August of this year. The roster bonus only counts towards this season. Therefore, only the $10 million signing bonus is spread over the life of the contract if and when a new cap is set.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame

Sure you can do that and I hope they do take advantage of that mechanism but it doesn't change the underlying value of the player. That's what I was getting at. Whatever his market value is what it is. Folks are saying well uncapped year so pay him whatever to keep him. I don't think any of the owners are approaching this off-season that way.

Yes, the Lions have done this with the KVB deal, apparently. What you do is split the guaranteed money into a signing bonus and a roster bonus. So, if $20 million is guaranteed, you give a $10 million signing bonus and $10 million roster bonus owed the player if he's on the roster in August of this year. The roster bonus only counts towards this season. Therefore, only the $10 million signing bonus is spread over the life of the contract if and when a new cap is set.
Or no signing bonus at all and just a roster bonus due the day after the contract is signed. The Vikings did that with Antoine Winfield when they signed him.

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
Sure you can do that and I hope they do take advantage of that mechanism but it doesn't change the underlying value of the player. That's what I was getting at. Whatever his market value is what it is. Folks are saying well uncapped year so pay him whatever to keep him. I don't think any of the owners are approaching this off-season that way.

Or no signing bonus at all and just a roster bonus due the day after the contract is signed. The Vikings did that with Antoine Winfield when they signed him.
that takes cash up front and not chicken feed. mcnair won't do this because its too cost prohibitive and can be risky if the player is injured and/or ineffective. any owner using the cap as an excuse are lying to your face. there are risks in frontloading but that is how it is. seems like other teams are willing to spend money....sucks that our owner is in windfall profit mode.

plain and simple. if you want the player, you have to pay him. we want the player we just dont want to pay him.

current scoreboard = 3 starters lost, no starters gained

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
that takes cash up front and not chicken feed. mcnair won't do this because its too cost prohibitive and can be risky if the player is injured and/or ineffective. any owner using the cap as an excuse are lying to your face. there are risks in frontloading but that is how it is. seems like other teams are willing to spend money....sucks that our owner is in windfall profit mode.

plain and simple. if you want the player, you have to pay him. we want the player we just dont want to pay him.

current scoreboard = 3 starters lost, no starters gained
No starters lost until they sign with another team.