Kevin Walter??

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HOU-TEX, Feb 24, 2010.

1. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Soo, I guess we're going to let him test the FA waters? With all the rumblings on Dunta, I haven't heard anything about K-dub. I like him and hopefully he'll allow us to match whatever he's offered.

Are we satisfied with JJ's progress enough to let him walk? Will we grab a Shipley type WR mid to late rounds of the draft?

Thoughts?

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Wouldn't at all be surprised to have an announcement come out before March 5th. But for reference here is the WR FA market:

Terrell Owens 36
    Antonio Bryant 29
    Derrick Mason 36
    Kevin Walter 29

According to Football's Future.

3. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I thougt it was Kevin Walters?

:jk:

4. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Isn't tomorrow the last day to tag a player? I'm not saying we should or shouldn't tag him, it's just my thinking that if he isn't tagged or given a new deal he's destined for FA. I suppose there's a chance we could re-sign him in a weeks time, but I would assuume a deal would've been done by now if that was the direction we wanted to go?

5. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Antonio Bryant would be scary on this team, but he's too me-first to play second fiddle. Walter is still the best fit and best value for us at that position, so we'll probably lock him up.

6. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

Maybe ditching Dunta is a way to help keep Kevin here????

7. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

I'm certain that money will be used to resign players but I don't expect anything like that this year. McNair is a pretty savvy businessman and I think there are many teams sitting this one out until they know what's going to happen in 2011. Normally you would be hearing about all the new deals players are getting at this time of year but if you've noticed, it's not happening this year.

I think everyone is on board with them resigning all these guys but I expect everything to just sit until the CBA is worked out.

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

That's not really what I've heard. I might be wrong, but it's my understanding that players that have, or will, sign new deals that go through 2011 will just have it temporarily suspended. In other words, if no deal has been made by the end of the 2010 NFL season (early March?), then players who are under contract will have their contracts put on hold until the new deal is struck. They would resume as if nothing happened once a new CBA is in place

I'll try to find a link, but I've yet to remember where I'd heard/read it from.

9. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

Never really thought about that. Man, Bryant and Dre on the outside... That would be killer.

10. mike moffat

mike moffat Hall of Fame

We better not lose him.
    I'll have to change my signature line.:gun:

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

That's correct from what I have seen. No 2011 season then it doesn't count against the contract term. Now of course the player gets older and may not have the same dedication but a 5 year deal is supposed to be a 5 years playing deal.

12. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Anybody got a link? I'm surprised that I haven't heard anything like that.

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I tried to find a link for a few minutes. I'll see if I can find one some time throughout the day. At least I'm educating myself on the CBA (or lack thereof) by having to read through all the articles. :)

14. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

Rick Smith is too busy looking for a 3rd string QB to throw $10 million bucks at to worry about resigning our own players.

15. Section516

Section516 Warrior

I actually wrote a paper on the CBA last semester..Was good stuff.

I'm more worried as to what the year off would do to some of our more..ah..not motivated players

16. Blake

Blake MMQB

Lol QFT!

Seriously resign the man. He is a solid WR and can fill the #2 while Jones keeps the competition up.

17. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Yep I've got myself braced for this. Walter is a front line , clutch receiving, good blocking, great hands #2 wide receiver. Maybe one of the best in the league. I was really surprised the Giants didn't trade for him last year before the draft. I thought after the ricochet off the hands interception last year...(Miami game?) that Gary Kubiak threw Jacoby Jones in to the middle of the pound and said to him OK J.J. swim or drown. His targets went way up. Every time he screwed up they kept going back to Jacoby. What I read was at that moment in time, either Jacoby was going to make it or he was going to be gone. So if J.J. is not exposed now....somebody has gotta go.

What I'm hoping is that the loss of Daunta will free up enough money to make several of the other players happy with a due bump up.

18. JayCee

JayCee Veteran

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...d-optimistic-about-retaining-walter/#comments

Time to get consistent Jacoby.

19. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

I like walters alot and he's a good redzone threat, but jones has explosion. Jones has they type of explosion to take the top off the defense and give dre more room. He does need refinement, but getting a guy like Parrish to handle special teams stuff and allowing jones to just focus on wr would benefit the team more. Anderson is the slot guy and with daniels coming back, the middle of the field stuff should be ok. If they don't feel jones is ready, they should get a guy like bryant opposite of dre.

20. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I hate to lose KW, but he was under-utilized last year. He saw little action until OD went down. Only one ball for so many receivers.

I'm not sold on JJ...think he's got big play potential, but he's too loose with the ball and seems to be running before he secures the catch...but at least we've got him if KW ends up on another team.