Keshawn Martin stepping up in wide-open WR group

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Playoffs, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

We may have found a winner in Key Mart...

Keshawn Martin stepping up in wide-open WR group

“I think he’s showing that he’s capable of doing it,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. “There are some growing pains, there are some things that he’s got to go through, but he’s very professional in his approach. Doesn’t say a word, just works, and he’s going against J-Joe (Pro Bowl cornerback Jonathan Joseph) every day. That’ll make you good real quick.”
    “He’s got great speed,” Kubiak said. “I think what you could see is he can catch some little ones and turn them into real big ones. That’s what you look for in the pass game. You don’t have time to sit back there and wait on things to get way down the field, but if you can throw a slant, a guy can make somebody miss and go to the house, that’s what you want.”
    “He’s a tremendous worker,” Matt Schaub said on Friday. “He’s done a great job just picking things up. You don’t see a lot of mental errors out of him. He really understands his role, really listens and takes in all the information he can. You can really see him working, and he just makes plays. He creates a lot of separation from corners to give you a chance to make a throw where he can catch it and make something happen. We like the potential he brings.”
    “I think he’s playing well,” Johnson said. “He just took advantage of an opportunity. He’s made a lot of plays, and, you know, he doesn’t say anything. I thought I was quiet – he’s quieter than me. I always ask him how he’s feeling, is he alright. He just is quiet, just goes out there and plays, and he’s been having a great camp so far.

“I never thought I’d see anybody that was less talkative than me, but he really doesn’t say anything. He comes in in the morning, he might give you a head nod and keep it moving. But he plays well, man. He’s been doing a great job.”

read the complete article from Nick Scurfield: http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...WR-group/480d5e4e-f9ad-4089-83fb-5162c9bda774

2. TejasTom

TejasTom Heisenwatt

That's funny.

The rest is good news.

3. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

I think he's gonna turn out to be great one day. Hopefully he can contribute right away this year.

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

5. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Perhaps he will contribute right away as a KR. I know he made some nice grabs today. I think it was he who caught a slant in front of Mercilus, kicked it into overdrive and went to the house
    Left Mercilus in the dust shaking his head..
    .....or was that Forsett?

:o)

6. 281

281 Hall of Fame

i really like this guy's potential... i think he's gonna make some serious noise out of the slot starting this year.

7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

He will contribute as a KR/PR and as a slot guy.

I have a feeling that he will turn out to be a better WR than Posey in the long run.

8. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I think he has a clearler path immediate playing time than any of the young WRs, since he is short area slot guy and PR. Just a different skill set than Posey, jean, jerrell, etc.

9. Rey

Rey Guest

Ive wanted Andre to take less snaps/gm in the regular season for a while now.

I know how important he is, but I'd like to see him get a few more plays off. Use some of these young bodies if they're going to be taking up roster spots.

10. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

The thing is, the defense called changes drastically depending on AJ being on the field. We need AJ out there.

And, I wouldn't want to be the guy to tell AJ to come off the field. We all saw him spit up blood and then finish the game.

KA4Texan likes this.
  11. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

We need for this guy to step up because I'm hearing the other rookie WR we drafted is dropping a lot of balls ?

12. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I can't wait for the 1st preseason game to get a look at this young man!!

13. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I believe that was in the OTAs. From what I've heard since TC started, Posey is looking good, making big plays, and in much better shape than he was when the OTA's started.

Remember that Posey had missed most of last season because of some silly NCAA suspensions and although he'd worked out with the team, he hadn't been able to get nearly as much work as he should have.

I can't wait to see the guys on the field.

15. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Yeah, next Saturday can't get here soon enough!

16. Rey

Rey Guest

I understand that, but he takes breaks occasionally anyways.

And the defensive calls don't really concern me as much as our ability to move the ball. We should be able to do that for a few plays a game without Andre.

Again, I'm not saying whole series. I'm saying a few more plays/gm.

17. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

He took a lot of time off last year. It's A.J. He's rested for life now. :)

18. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Encouraging to hear this.

This team NEEDS one of these rooks to step right in and make an impact at WR.

19. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A

Kubiak today on Martin:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...practice/cd3c5cba-f253-40bb-99f1-f442ceb9c47b

Keshawn Martin could very well make himself a star in this league. It sounds like he's blowing all the other rookie WRs away (including Lestar Jean).

20. GP

GP Go Texans!

Kubiak is in LOVE with Keyshawn Martin.

I know Kubiak praises guys, but he seriously has a man crush for Martin.

Keyshawn might become WR2 verrrry quickly if preseason matches what we're hearing about him in camp thus far. Sounds like he is very Andre Johnson'ish in the sense that he (a) listens, (b) does the things that are taught in the meetings, and (c) corrects things immediately. 100% professional.

Physical skills + Head-in-the-game mentality = Texans' best WR prospect.

Cannot wait to see this guy play Saturday night's game!!!!!!