Kenny Wright: Starting Jags CB?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by TEXANS84, Jun 8, 2005.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

So what do you guys think of Kenny possibly landing a starting Cornerback job with the Jaguars?
    Personally, I believed Kenny was a good nickel back, but not to the level of an every day starter.

This also goes to show you that what would have been the #4 Cornerback on our depth chart, is the #2 Cornerback on the Jags. I think we've been just a tad bit spoiled when it comes to our Defensive Backs.

2. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

I bet Andre is :drool: at the idea of going against Kenny. Good luck in Jax Kenny.

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I don't know if Wright could beat out Lewis Sanders for the #4 CB spot. I don't think the Texans thought so, or they would've kept Wright and not signed Sanders.

When the Jags lineup for their season opener, I think rookie Scott Starks out of Wisconsin will be the CB opposite Rashean Mathis. If the Jags are going to take their lumps at CB, I think they do it with a guy with some upside.

4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

The only difference is Jville's pass rush is so good that they really don't need very strong defensive backs because they make the QB get rid of the ball in a hurry.

5. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

Actually Jax's pass defense / rush isn't one of the better ones in the NFL. They ranked in the middle of the pack last season in sacks and YPG. If anything they were known for their run defense, which slipped a bit last year. I wonder if they wish they would have drafted D-Rob?

6. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I think EVERYONE wishes they had drafted DRob. What a great pick.

7. jagsfanincanada

jagsfanincanada Veteran

We've had a bunch of CBs rotating with the first team. Don't read anything into this.

http://www.jaguars.com/story/4398.asp

8. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

All I know is it really feels good to know we have now got this kind of talent at what is such an important position. And for a long time to if we play our cards right: we have talented starters who are very young and we're also deep at corner.

9. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Looks like Wright has officially won the starting job.

link

The guy would have likely been competing for the 4th CB spot on our squad.

10. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Doesn't say much for the jags corners. He doesn't have the speed to cover man deep and it's unlikely that he's gotten faster since he's left. The Texans liked Sanders better and let Kenny walk UFA.

This will be easy to exploit by teams who have really fast wideouts, e.g., AJ, Bradford, Mathis. He will need deep zone help like he always has. I recall his first start as a Texan in Tennessee in '03. That's the one where McNair passed for something like 520 yards and Mason had Kenny doing the Curly by halftime.

11. jags98

jags98 Veteran

Unforunitly David Richardson got hurt and could not compete in preseason with a hurt ankle. He probably would have won it if he didnt get hurt.