KC writers are crying about the Mario fumble return

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DiehardChris, Sep 10, 2007.

1. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

WAAAAHHHH!!!!!

You know what? I don't even disagree with the guy. I don't think the receiver made 'a football move' or whatever - so it's fine to complain about the call - but this guy is saying that it changed the complexion of the game, and that the running game was rendered useless because of it since KC had to try and catch up... and of course ZERO credit is given to the Texans defense. How about "it was a bad call, but the Texans flat out, out-played the Chiefs.

Oh well, whatever. I'm not going to stoop low enough to go to their site and post about it. We won. Let them cry, change their diapers, and show no class like this guy and LJ did. Herm Edwards was clearly not happy about the call, but he has way too much class to cry about it. He just said 'that was the call and there's nothing we can do'.

It just goes to show you what a complete laughing stock the Texans have been nationally. Even the local honk reporters don't want to imagine that their bad football team is worse than our formally terrible team.

Sigh.

Whatever - with winning comes respect, and we're on our way.

BSofA04 likes this.
  2. MissouriTexan

MissouriTexan Veteran

Thanks for the link. I really did think that was a fumble, not an incomplete pass, but what do the rest of you out there think?

3. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

I think the title to the article was "Things That Losers Say"

They would be singing a different tune if Wilson had caught the ball in the end zone and then got it blasted loose. Somehow I think they would be screaming "TOUCHDOWN"!

4. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Is there a replay of that particular play? I was too busy celebrating the TD to look at the replay on the big screen.

5. CTWade

CTWade Quack Attack

I've read Whitlock's article earlier today, linked over from ESPN's Hashmark's guy. Also read another article by him on FoxSports, trying to explain why he choose the Saints to win in an upset over the Colts and bemoan his past failed relationships with females.

Later I've read from Ric or Roy over on HPF that for 2007 the NFL changed the rules so that this year you no longer need to make a football move for it to be called a catch, only that you have possession and have two feet on the ground. So I guess they can't call bad refereeing for losing this one.

6. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

The "football move" thing is definitely a strange rule. It's hard to interpret... basically everything depends on what the call on the field is. Had that not been the call on the field, it would have gone KC's way.

Also - RE: "Things That Losers Say" - that is absolutely dead on. LOL

7. JohnsonFan

JohnsonFan All Pro

lol, thanks for the link, it was a fumble

8. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

I heard about that too.

You'd think an NFL beat writer would know that before crying about the call in his column.

And he does a lot of national stuff too. For shame.

9. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

It was a fumble. You either hang onto the ball or you don't. He caught the ball, tucked it, and turned. The hit knocked it loose. To say it wasn't a "football move" is BS, because in reality, if you catch the ball and tuck it away, you're making a football move - rules lawyers be damned.

Some of the rules lawyering that goes on in football retards the progress of the game. Sometimes, it's really that simple - he caught it, he got hit, he lost it. Done.

OD's catch last year was a catch as well. If he had lost it to a hit, it would have been a fumble. It's really not that hard to see or figure out, unless they make it that way.

10. pappy

pappy Veteran

The new nfl rule says its a completion if a receiver has possession with two feet down . sorry ! football move not needed this year .

11. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

It was a fumble. Not even close. First off, the rule changed. Just need to get two feet planted. Second, even under the old rule, that was a fumble. CLEARLY. It was a desperation move on Herm's part to throw the flag.

12. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Not debating the fumble ruling, or the rule change regarding a reception, but does anyone have a link to the new rule? None of the articles I saw mentioned that rule change.

13. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I'm pretty sure if the roles were reversed, Texans fans would be complaining about the same thing.

For instance, this thread is instructional. The "complaining" about this play actually evolved as different aspects of the complaints were debunked. Very nice.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31142

14. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Er, whatever. I'm saying regardless of it being a bad call or not - the writer gave Houston ZERO credit.

15. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I thought it was close enough to go either way and personally, I felt like it was probably closer to being an incomplete pass than a catch-turn-fumble.

I'm glad I was wrong but that's the game of football and there have been plenty of times when I felt the exact opposite about a play and believed that we got screwed on the call. It goes both ways and if you watch the game then you know that.

16. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I thought he made a football move when he slammed to the turf on his back. :d: Seems like a typical football move to me.

17. Bob McNair

Bob McNair Veteran

I was at the game and thought it was an incomplete pass. I thought they would overturn it on the appeal. Of course: 1. I did not know about the rule change and 2. I'm sitting in the upper deck...err... Gridiron Texas and 3. I have not seen any slow-motion hi-def replays and 4. I might have already enjoyed some adult beverages by the time the play occurred.

Me: "Ha Ha, alright they blew that call."
    Wife: "But they upheld it on the review."
    Me: "Yeah, but maybe the ref has had more margaritas than I have.."
    Wife: "I don't think that's possible."

All that foolishness said, wasn't it 3rd down? So the Chiefs would have had to punt the next play anyway. Heck, even if it was 1st down, they would have had to punt two plays later. They were already being dominated (even I was sober enough to see that). That one play did not change the outcome of the game, it just defined the whole game.

In Herm Edwards defense, he had to throw the flag. If there is the slightest possibility of a reversal, you have to throw the flag to overturn the defense picking up a fumble and running it in for a TD. What bigger play can you be saving the red flag for?

18. real

real Guest

The Chiefs just got beat...

We were the better team last Sunday....the end.

19. hookinreds

hookinreds Hall of Fame

So you're both wrong.:d:

20. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Exactly. The guy wasn't hit from behind, he caught it, tucked, and turned. When I was watching I told my buddies that exact same thing. I say "It is close, but the fact that he turned around could be interpreted as a football move."

Also, with what LJ said and now the media acting as if the Texans defense just got lucky...

I like how Herm when asked about these things laughs first and says "If...you can make a lot of if's, but the reality is out on the field."

Of course as a above average coach he isn't going to make excuses for his team. I bet the players that come up and whine to him he would tell them to shut up and play football. You think the play was incomplete, well hold onto the ball and there wouldn't be a fumble in the first place.