KC Joyner on the Texans Defense

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans_Chick, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Hey, I know the offseason is long, so I put this post together over at the Chron blog:

Interview with ESPN's KC Joyner primarily about the Texans secondary

I thought his answers were pretty interesting. I'd put an excerpt of the most interesting parts, but really, I found it interesting throughout.

If you like this post, I would welcome you to leave a brief comment over there commenting on the interview. By doing so, you are demonstrating that there is a market for substantive football talk about the Texans. Nothing combative, but just talking about the substance of the post.

SeƱor Stan likes this.
  2. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Interesting thoughts on Dunta. Kinda where I'm at with him.

PS. If I haven't said it before Steph, thanks for the great job that you do.

3. Texans_Chick

Oh, and unlike commenting to Chron.com articles, you do not have to register to leave a comment. Just leave a name and email addy (they don't collect those or do anything with them). It takes no time at all.

4. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

if the only thing he brought to the table was his cover skills, i would be with you. but he does a lot more for this team than just cover wide recievers.

5. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Exactly. YPA is a very limited stat, because it does not provide any indication for run support. CBs nowadays are being asked to do more than just play pass defense. His leadership role, tackling, and run support make him more valueable to this team than numbers alone can indicate

6. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

This is what I've felt for a long time. I don't know if our players aren't "ballhawks" or if they are being coached not to make plays on the ball. Its difficult to discern coaching from natural ability

7. Texan_Bill

That's why I still do like him - because he does bring more to the table. I just have a problem when people think he's among the elite shut-down corners in the league.

8. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Dunta is a tough one to figure out. His on-field production is good, but not great. He makes a few plays, and seems to get beat on a few plays every game. That being said, how much of that can be attributed to the 10 yard cushion that Smith/Hoke seemed to adore? Either way, stats don't tell the whole tale on him. He plays very well in run support and brings a fire to this team that was desperately lacking without him. I don't think he's worth elite CB money, but I wouldn't be outraged if that's what he ended up getting when it's all said and done.

9. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

I think it shows pretty much what we all already know....that we have to get to the QB next year. At the top of our needs is obviously a DE pass rushing threat opposite Mario as well as a big fat DT to absorb double teams and free up Okoye. A fierce DL will only make our current stable of CBs that much better. I think we can definitely get by with what we have currently (Molden should hopefully be a stud in the making). I mean when has our secondary ever had the luxury of a legit DL causing havoc and forcing multiple bad decisions? Throw in the ball hawking safety and its the two main issues he brings up that will hopefully be addressed heading into next year.

10. Texans_Chick

Hard to say.

I attended a high school coaching clinic in 2006 taught by the Texans coaching staff. I made a point of going to the session taught by Jon Hoke because I knew a lot of people were high on him but I wasn't seeing it.

He spent a lot of time talking about coverage techniques and gave us a handout about drills he did. I really didn't have a sense that he focused much on ballhawking skills with his drills or teachings. But maybe that was just to the audience that we were.

11. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Joyner's stuff usually leads to some good discussion but this bothered me.

Even though I agree that the Texans D-line has yet to play up to it's talent, I just cannot accept that it was the primary issue with this D. I think the bright spots we saw towards the end of the season were more about adjustments in scheme and playcalling, then players suddenly playing up to their talents levels.

12. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Good job TC, good read. I don't listen to 1560 too often, but that's hilarious about the "Petey's".

13. Texan_Bill

I always laugh when they joke about the "Peteys" and LZ yells.. "Oh Petey"

14. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

That whole sentence doesn't make any sense.

15. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

The Texans were 2-3 when he did not start, in the games that he actually played. We were 1-4 when he was inactive.

11 Games Played, 6 Starts.

16. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

First stat is Dunta playing period. The second is him STARTING. Remember, he came of the bench the first couple of games back.

Is that right, TC?

17. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Theres a difference between playing and starting

18. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Ya I re-read the sentence again. It was poorly worded but now that I read it again I follow what she is saying.

Good read and thanks as always TC!

19. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

Not only do the players have to get better but the scheme must be better as well. Frank Bush stated that they will attack on defense he has to have the right players for that type of scheme plus the coaching must be on point.

20. Texans_Chick

Haha.

Given when and where I write a lot of these posts, it is amazing that they are comprehensible at all.

I have to sneak time to work on this stuff so sometimes they are written in a bunch of different times-late at night, early in the morning, some random place here or there.

I got a laptop for my birthday last year and that helped out some, along with more places having wireless. But it also means that I often am writing things with a bunch of other stuff going on around me.