Kasey Studdard to start

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texan JBZ, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

Kubes is starting Kasey Studdard against the Cowpatties this Friday. Uh, that kind of worries me a little. I really like Studdard as a player. He's tough as nails and nasty to boot, but I think this is a bad week to start him. Personally, I don't care about the outcome of this game. All I want is for all our starters to make it out of this game without any significant injury, especially Matt Schaub. We all know that none of them will play against Tampa, so this is their last significant playing time of the preseason. KS starting worries me a little only because I feel that the Cowchokes are going to come out and play like they have something to prove against our Texans because of all the negative flack they've been getting lately. Hopefully, Studdard does a good job. What do you think?

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I saw a good moment for Kasey when I was reviewing the line blocking on dvr this week. I noticed that Studdard destroyed his man on that Slaton TD run. Take your DVR back to 12:15 of the 4th quarter and keep an eye on Kasey Studdard on the Slaton TD run. Studdard not only gets his block but finishes his man by punishing him into the turf. Blocking like that tends to wear out those big 300 lb linemen over the course of a game and sometimes it goes unnoticed by the fans as our eye tends to follow the ball. Coach Gibbs loves this kind of effort and is a good example of finishing your block.

The nice part of this play in general is that everyone did their job. Left Guard Greg White pulls and clears out his man with Brandon Frye and J Cook easily pushing the Saints soft second team linebackers 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. Joel Dreessen standing up DE Josh Savage creating a lane for Slaton to bolt through is another very important part of that run so I need to mention him if I'm giving blocking props on that play.

Señor Stan and Vinnie like this.
  3. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I think Pitts has a "minor" problem, so we MIGHT see him again in about a year or so. :sarcasm:

On the Studdard playing thing, I'd rather rest Pitts than take a chance.

4. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

So he's replacing Pitts at LG and not Briesel as the starter Friday ?

5. Texan JBZ

Right

6. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Studdard sure looks like "Tuna" from the movie Blow...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Texan JBZ

:spit: GOOD ONE!

8. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Is Pitts injured, or is he just wanting to protect Pitts. No way Studdard starts ahead of Pitts.

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

All I know is Pitts has some "temporary" health issue and Kubiak doesn't want to play him against the Cowboys. He's only supposed to be out for one preseason game.

10. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

White playing Guard with the 2nd team brings up an interesting question. I noticed Eslinger playing Center with the 2nd team, and most people seem to have White penciled in as the backup Center. With Eslinger playing Center and White playing Guard during the preseason, will Eslinger be the backup Center during the season and White a backup guard? :thinking: Thoughts?

Vinny likes this.
  11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4537

12. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I saw Studdard's uncle at the wing bar tonight, wish I would have saw this thread first I could have asked him about it.

13. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I guess they're swingers. :smiliedance:

14. Texan JBZ

Kubes says that Chester has a sore ankle. Sounds like nothing serious though.

15. CT CSTM

CT CSTM Rookie

Talked to Pitts this evening,,,he didn't mention it so it must be nothing big,,,in fact,,,we didn't even talk about football,,,

16. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Believe it or not, this guy's Dad is a painter in LA. He painted our house. He's a really nice guy.

The Dad. I don't know about the son.

17. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

The thing that is most bothersome to me about Studdard starting is that he will be on the left side. I doubt he has spent much time practicing there AND he will be next to the rookie D. Brown. I suspect that Schaub isn't comfortable with it either as the heat will come from that side and that is the one with the least experience.

18. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

I'm not too worried about it.

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

nobody mentioned Duane Brown, have they taken reps together other than this week? Pitts has been a key factor in Browns quick development I just hope he can pick up things fast with Kasey, there's so much timing stuff with picking up stunts & reading different blitz packages.

20. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I'll be excited to see how Studdard fares as a starter. Having two young guys on the left side doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but it will certainly be a good gauge to see how far Studdard has come & to see how Brown plays without Chester next to him.