Kareem leading rookie CB's in tackles

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by beerlover, Oct 4, 2010.

1. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Kareem Jackson has taken a lot of heat but there is no doubt he is working hard to improve & HAS HAD A POSITIVE START TO HIS CAREER. He leads all CB's in tackles & is ranked 7th overall for rookies (20). just wanted to give him some positive rep :fingergun:

2. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

:handshake: agreed, he's doing well in that department, now to see if he can eliminate a few mistakes and get on with the coverage. He looked pretty good this week, but then again we had good pass rush and the raiders, well they really don't have great receivers. #88 from the giants should be an interesting matchup.

3. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Actually, any CB getting a lot of tackles isn't a good thing because that means that his guy probably caught the ball and he had to tackle him. I'd prefer him to lead the league in passes defensed or interceptions.

4. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Kareem improved a lot this past week vs. the Raiders. He was the best out of all the CBs and overall was avoided. I thought his best play was when McFadden broke lose on a catch and it was him and Kareem one on one in the open field. Instead of Kareem taking a hard straight line to him he slowed down and kept containment and forced him out of bounds. If he had taken the hard straight line McFadden would've beaten him on the angle and had a 60+ yard TD. It was a really heady play on Kareem's part.

5. beerlover

maybe it's not his man? the Texans really value ability to run support, confirmation, just one reason why Rick Smith drafted him. He is improving mirroring the WR once he feels more comfortable sitting on recivers hip he can turn & locate the ball, you can see him progress, its exciting to watch.

6. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

It's easy to make a lot of tackles when the guy you're covering always catches the ball. Silver lining to a dark cloud that is our secondary.

wagonhed likes this.
  7. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Yes, KJ has looked better and better with every game.

8. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Great job Kareem! I'll second the thoughts on CBs getting tackles in general AND that Kareem needs to continue improving in his pass coverage.

With that said, Kareem has been very good in run support. It's not just his man, it's running backs that get to the edge and TEs/WRs that catch the ball too. For me it's not just him helping out in run support... but that often times he gets off the WRs block and makes the tackle. Now THAT is impressive.

9. beerlover

maybe it's not his man? the Texans really value ability to run support, confirmation, just one reason why Rick Smith drafted him. He is improving mirroring the WR once he feels more comfortable sitting on recivers hip he can turn & locate the ball, you can see him progress, its exciting to watch.

10. beerlover

should also mention he leds all Texan CB's (Glover is next with 18) & KJ is fourth overall on the team.

11. silvrhand

he also had a one on one tackle in the open field on mcfadden as well as he was coming around the corner, very nice tackle.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I did this on the other board..... sounds relevant here.

Also, we played a lot of Zone, so even though we see him tackling WRs, they might not have been his responsibility. But the number of TEs & RBs on that list leads me to believe his high number of tackles isn't because WRs are catching balls on him all day.

13. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Jackson laid the wood a few times on guys yesterday. At one point I asked my buddy who that LB was because Kareem leaned so hard into him, and was shocked when I realized it was the rookie corner who had laid the hit.

Other than that though, like some people have mentioned having the most tackles for a CB is usually because he's been getting thrown on all day. It's not really a good sign in this case.

Who was Kareem shadowing throughout most of the game? Was it Murphy? If so he did a great job, because Murphy had been playing really well until yesterday.

14. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

That's not always true. If we are playing zone and he has to come up to make a tackle from a deep position on a short pass and makes the tackle, that's a positive play. He's been doing that type of thing pretty well. He's had his problems covering though, so I do think part of what your are saying is correct.

15. Rey

Rey Guest

Kjax makes a lot of tackles on guys that he's not covering....One thing is for sure...He is a ver, very good tackler...

He tackles better than some LB's and safeties that have been through here...

Rarely gets juked, and he has delivered some very big blows....

16. Rey

Rey Guest

Texans mostly played Zone yesterday...

17. Rey

Rey Guest

That's pretty good evidence right there...

18. mokalus

mokalus Rookie

Just out of curiosity, has anybody been seeing how Kyle Wilson is doing with the Jets? I know KJ fits our system better since he was said to be a better tackler, but other than the first game of the year with the Jets vs Ravens, I haven't seen any Jets games.

And in that game, Wilson got burned a few times and had at least a couple pass interference calls.

19. silvrhand

Yes he is struggling as well..

20. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

What about haden in CLeveland/