Kareem Jackson Safety

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by awtysst, May 9, 2011.

1. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Based on reading John McClain's interview with Phillips, I would not be surprised seeing Kareem Jackson getting moved to Safety. Here is why.

Wade has talked about Jackson's may problem being one of speed. Once he gets beat, he can't really recover. Tackling he is fine, mirroring receivers is fine. Other flaws can be smoothed out with coaching, but speed cannot be taught. Jackson has average speed.

Now, consider who the Texans drafted this year at CB. Brandon Harris and Rashad Carmichael who are both praised for their closing speed, ability to stay with wide receivers down the field, and being able to play the ball in the air (either knock it away or INT).

I may be completely wrong, but I have a feeling Wade sees Jackson as a better Safety than CB. As a Safety he would not get exposed in terms of his speed. He would be asked to rely on tackling and letting plays develop in front of him and then reacting as opposed to running down the field behind the receiver.

Knowing this, the picks of Harrison and Carmichael make a lot more sense. We may be seeing the Texans trying to sign a veteran CBs and retaining Allen. Harrison would be the Nickel CB and Carmichael the Dime. Jackson would then compete with Quinn, Nolan, and Keo for a safety spot.

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

... Which means that Smithiak totally ****ed up last year, not that we didn't already know that.

TEXANRED likes this.
  3. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I have had the same thought but with Quinn staying at CB and not competing with KJ for the FS spot.

4. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Yeah, I think KJ is way too slow for CB. That's why I wanted McCourty so bad. Good job slap nuts.

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think he can still turn out to be a fine corner.

Speed isn't everything & there are ways to account for it.

6. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Speed isn't everything, but you can't be super slow. See also Petey Faggins.

7. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Sure makes me wish we could have an offseason! If camp get's shortened I'm going to be devastated. This could be / would've been one of the most exciting off seasons in Texans history.

8. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

My sentiment has always been that Jackson can play safety or nickel well.
    When I spent time on all the games, he's the best tackler on the team, whether in close quarter or in open space.)
    He also did well when asked to drop into Cover 3 in which he's just like a safety.

However, when you consider his speed (4.48) vs Quin (4.50), Harris (4.53), and Carmichael (4.56), I don't see how you're gonna solve the speed problem with the other guys.

Don't forget that Asomugha's speed out of college was just 4.45, which is only a hair faster.

4.48 isn't bad.
    You just play the technique and adapt a scheme to make use of the personnel you have.
    If you're that concerned with speed, you can have Allen run with the fastest guy.

(Note that McCourty also ran a 4.48)

dc_txtech likes this.

9. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

That would probably make a pretty darn good safety combo, but we'd have to go out and sign two starting CB's. Highly doubtful we'd spend that kind of money.

Jackson struggled at press and recovery downfield.

badboy likes this.
  10. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

Jackson's timed speed is much faster then his playing speed. And Asomugha has perfect technique and is tall and long.

11. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I wondered the same thing when I read the article. But, it could also mean that they just like him more in zone where he doesn't have run downfield with a receiver.

I think he can be a good player if he is schemed right, but hopefully whoever was responsible for that pick already lost their job.

12. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

1. Obviously, I was not trying to compare them. Jackson was only a rookie!

2. I don't know how we can ascertain that Jackson's playing speed is not what it's supposed to be.
    I've brought up an example before: Jackson made up almost 3 yards on R. Williams (who has 4.37 speed).

In many other instances he played the trail technique and stayed behind the receiver.

The fact remains that he does not have top speed, so again you can always have Allen run with the fastest guy (and you'll find out that speed doesn't make any difference.)

13. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

It's pretty much the most exciting time for the Texans. Offseason up until about week 6 or so.

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

WHen I raced 1 BADBOY (120mph American Offshore CAT) I had to anticipate how the other boat would use his speed. Most slower boats (up to 100mph) are rigged for quick hole shots. Get out of water quick onto plane and have a shot at holding the other boat off for a win. Those 100mph and up are usually set for long distance speed. BADBOY was set to do both and a win usually against a comparable boat (wide reciever) was up to the driver (me).

KJ was trained in Alabama to be the hole shot type corner. He was to explode out and pop the WR off balance and then remain with him until end of the play. This worked ok in college but not so well in NFL & I put that on coaches. Too often when Jackson tried to bump a WR he either missed or was pushed off balance. He then went through a psychological second or two of blasting himself before his body went into catch up mode. My observations of him was he definitely has "make up speed" and most times was able to get back to WR just not quite in time. He may or may not be able to break his years long training to bump the WR. His career guarding the edge is at stake. I do not see him moving to FS this season barring injury to other safeties.

15. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

somehow we all need to get over this, "wanted McCourty so bad" when it comes to KJ. McCourty is property of the New England Patriots & Kareem Jackson is property of the Houston Texans. What is done is done, lets move on now with Kareem & give him a chance to improve :jogger:

badboy likes this.
  16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Bolded is exactly what I am talking about. KJ does have the speed to run with most WR if allowed to "cover" not "bump & run".

17. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

KJ's bad play seems to be way more mental. I know good CB's slip and fall occasionally but he did it quite a bit, as well as getting faked and biting on double moves. If he has the work ethic and the drive to succeed I think he has the physical talents needed to be a starter and not be a total liability.

I really don't forsee a move to safety, especially with Kubiak actually dropping the hint about Quin possibly moving to the safety spot. Quin has the size to do it where as KJ would be on the smallish side even for an FS. Free agency could totally give your idea merit though.

18. wolf123

wolf123 All Pro

Roy Williams does not have 4.37 speed at all anymore

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Faggins was fast enough and could mirror recievers - His problem was not being able to turn around and make a play on the damn ball ....:texanbill:

20. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

You sure you aren't thinking of Jacques Reeves? I remember Faggins being caught out of position a lot as well as getting burned deep.