Just watched the '93 Oilers/Bills game on NFL Network

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Hookem Horns, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Man, I started feeling sick all over again. However I am glad I watched it. I never even watched highlights of that game and this was the first glimpse back for me since it happened 15 years ago. I forgot about so much of that game (which was probably a good thing), however hearing the players commentary on what was actually happening was very interesting. Some things I didn't know or remember where how so many off the wall things had to happen for Buffalo to come back. Jeffries dropping that sure TD catch which would have probably ended it late in the 4th was one. The Oilers coaching staff getting ultra conservative at the end of the 4th, going for the tie and not the win (Jeffires ranting about that one in the commentary). He said it sent the wrong message to the team.

There were also bad calls that went Buffalo's way like Beebe stepping out of bounds, coming back in and catching a TD pass, or Givens getting held resulting in the final interception that sealed the deal.

I remember being so p*ssed that they let Buffalo back in the game, that even if they won I had no confidence in them going to Pittsburgh.

Jeffires said that game broke the spirits of that team and franchise. You know that game might not have only broken that franchise, you can probably trace back the ultimate demise of the Houston Oilers to that game. I was living in the Northeast at the time, however I can only imagine how that game must have affected the Houston fan base in general considering how fickle fans can be in Houston. I remember Bud making his stadium demands just a year or 2 later and the response might have been different if 35-3 had never happened.

2. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

:bat:

Gosh damn, son of a b****, moth** ****er................ I guess I have a reason to go to the bar tonight...

:gun:

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

As if you needed one????

I usually never say the word hate, but I really hate seeing that game replayed so often. :elle:

4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

So you had to go and remind all of us too!!!????

5. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I'm glad I wasn't an Oiler fan back then (I didn't live in Houston at the time...I was too young to remember any football anyway). I probably would have been suicidal if I were old enough and a big enough fan to watch that.

6. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

No doubt in my mind. Bud's antics had gotten old, but 35-3 sealed the deal, IMO. The following year vs. KC didn't help, either.

7. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

wound re-opened and salt poured in........................

8. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

All I can say is I hate the prevent defense. It should be used only on 3rd and very long situations, basically--no matter what the score is.

I know there were a lot more problems than that, but I still hate the prevent, except after a sack or something and when the down and distance is just screaming for it.

9. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

You know, the next year against Kansas City was like the universe saying to me "Yes, that was exactly what you thought it was last year at Buffalo." The Buffalo game was the final straw and the Kansas City game was like confirmation that the it was really over.

Oiler hate eclipsed my Oiler love at that moment (Buffalo). It might have eventually come back around but then KC happened and held it off for a little longer. That turned out to be just long enough for the Oilers to head out the door without much of fight from the rest of us.

10. Texan_Bill

Oh, thats just great!!! Throw in the KC loss too and Buddy Ryan's normally aggressive defense goes totally limp bisquit...

Just great!!!

I'm having a crap day, why doesn't somebody bring up the choke job in Denver as well, and mention Glanville & 'Stagger Lee'

:gun:

11. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

yeah, I watched this abomination awhile back on NFL Network. And the 3 hour version at that! I should have just taken a golf tee, put it in my belly button, and started slamming away with a ball-peen hammer while chewing on some aluminum foil.

I have no doubt that 35-3 + $60 million X Bud Adams = Titans from Uranus

12. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

As a life long fan of the Oilers I will always have that embarassing game tucked some where in the darkness of my mind but atleast the continuing embarassments of that franchise and it's owner is no longer my cross to bear. Isn't it amuzing that some ICOU is saddled with that game and more than likely doesn't have a clue about what a laughing stock that frachise is.

13. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow Work'n da grill

How many winning seasons have the Texans had? .000% ... right. Embarrassing is a pretty large word for you to use considering the franchise you follow .... anyways.

I just remember the pick at the beginning of the second half and thinking there was no way the Bills were coming back. :gun:

14. Texan_Bill

[​IMG]

15. Texan_Bill

[​IMG] 'Nuff said!!!

16. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

Why in the world would someone put themselves through that tragedy? Watching that game is like a bandaid - tear it off, feel the pain, and it's done.

17. Texan_Bill

Truthfully... If I'm home and it comes on, I watch it.

I always think that Moon is going to lead us to a TD for the win, instead of a FG to tie the game and send it to OT. Alas, it never happens... :gun:

*sigh*

and then I'm usually in a bad mood for a few days. :gun:

18. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

I would rather watch the Texans pull off the upset versus the Colts in '06....or the Texans defeat the Jags in our last game of this season. Watching that debauchery makes me want to kill Frank Reich and our secondary.

19. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

I think I actually shed a tear that day. If you think about it, NFL football in this city has never been the same since. 15 fricking years of futility or even no team at all. We finally are just starting to REALLY recover thanks to this new regime and our brighter days ahead (hopefully). Its been a long hard road.

20. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

tsk tsk, and empty straw man.

How many championships has your franchise had in several decades? At the end of the day, that's all that matters and it's why they play the game.

fu·til·i·ty (fyōō-tĭl'ĭ-tē)
    - The quality of having no useful result; uselessness.