Just some thoughts and asking for your point of view.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by El Tejano, Sep 29, 2008.

1. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

The more I think about yesterday's game, the more I can't help but put the blame on on Jacques Reeves. Anytime the Jags were in 3rd down, they went right at Jacques Reeves. Can we please go ahead and put Molden in?

I would like Zgonina and Okam to start from now on until Amobi decides to play football like last year. When Zgonina and Okam were in last week we looked like we actually put some pressure on the QB as a unit.

I can't help but notice the disgust on the face of Andre Johnson. I doubt he renews a contract with us.

I know he has had some success but Steve Slaton is not an every down back. The plays he has made are that of a 3rd down back. He doesn't break alot of tackles and is easy to bring down when you get a hold of him. He is going to be very special, yes but we need a bigger back who can consistently get us 4 yards or more.

If Taylor were to go down, we would just have Darius Walker who is a slower version of Steve Slaton. Why can't we bring in another back?

I really hope we pull off an upset over Indy to get some confidence back and go on a 4 game win streak.

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

a few answers off the top of my head....

wasn't Reeves fault. He was in great position several times and he can't help that he is a nickel back starting at CB2. Mouldin probably gets lit up much more than Reeves does at this point. We should have drafted Reevis...but hey, life goes on.

I agree, we do need more toughness inside and Okoye gets pushed around too much.

AJ has a demeanor like Earl did....hard to tell Earl Campbell was interested too. Players go thru funks and he is in one...I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

Steve Slaton needs to be used like the Saints use Reggie Bush...start it now please. He looks like he can run between the tackles better than him though.

Why can't we get a nice feature back? Our director of Pro Scouting has given us Mercillis, Stacey Mack, Ron Dayne, Chris Brown and a retired (but still playing on the Texans roster) Ahman Green. You get rid of cancer by cutting it out. Its time to pink soap Bobby Grier.

3. Polo

Polo Guest

I think Slaton breaks his fair share of tackles. I prefer a two back system anyways so I wouldn't say he isn't a feature back...I'll just say that I'd like an equally explosive compliment to him...

I think Andre is hurting and not in synch with Matt due to missing so much of pre-season stuff.

Don't know what to think about our DT's.

Reeves is terrible. He's been picked on by opposing QB's since he's been here. I don't care what kind of position he's in, he cannot continue to give up 8 catches a game with most of them being on 3rd down. Really poor technique and lack of physicality on his part.

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

FYI--AJ is signed through 2014. Renewing isn't really an issue any time soon.

5. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

This is an interesting idea. It's implementation would give the Texans a varied offense that could keep the defense on its heels a bit more. Reggie looks very good this year as he is being used.

If they would do it, the coaches would have to exercise the additional options wisely so the team doesn't look more confused than the defense. I don't want to hear about time to gel.

It would also rely on Slaton being the real deal. As ready as the fans are to give players three years before accpeting some players are bad, they are as quick to annoit someone great after a couple of games. Early returns are promisng for Slaton, so they may as well exercise him to see if he is a quality every down player.

6. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

What would happen if he got tired of it and tried to force a trade? Totally unrealistic because of the accelerated bonus cap hit?

7. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

at this point i woldnt mind if we traded AJ hes a bust ..............

8. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

:backsout:

HOU-TEX likes this.

9. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

I remember kubes first yr and the defense was struggling with the run and defense in general mid season. About that time they picked up Dalton from kc. After that, they were stuffing the run and the defense played a lot better. I thought they should have brought him back, but they didn't. I've said this man times that Okoye and Johnson are 1 gap penetrators. If u ask them to hit, stand the guard up read, then read the play and disengage, they can't do it. That kind of action is reserved for the haynesworth,henderson,stroud, type of dt. We're talkig about 6'6 330lbs guys that can do that and still "see" the play. Okoye and johnson are 6ft-6'2 300 lbs types that when they stand up to "see", they lose their leverage. Okam and zgoninia are 2 gap types. So to combat this, they should put Okam in between mario and Okoye to eat 2 blks and let those 2 eat the single or man and a half to generate pressure.

The cb's. I aways like to use the idea of the worse the coverage, the more press coverage u play. If the team plays more press even with the avg cb's, the guys don't get routed to death. If u have avg corners and the sit off in coverage, the good route runners become even better route runners. A team like J'ville doesn't even hve that, but when u give a free release, combined with the lack of pressure, equals easy throws for the qb. They need to press, bump and run so that way at least the cb is close enough to play the receiver and give the d-line a little extra time for a sack.

HJam72 likes this.
  10. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Honestly, I could easily see that happening. I don't think it's something AJ would do, but if this team continues to tickle the balls of mediocrity I can see him pushing for a move after next season.

Personally, I wouldn't blame him either. Sometimes I wish I could trade my fanhood to another team, but I've been here my entire life.....so I can't.

11. BuffaloglennTX

BuffaloglennTX Rookie

:goodpost: The Texans' "scheme" is for the corners to play off, which leaves short slant patterns open. The Texans had the linebackers stacked in which generally stopped the run but left those 8-10 yard slants open. Notice how the Jags rarely completed any out patterns. No one in the league covers short slants very well.

12. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

Not necessarily true. I saw plenty of times when Petey Reeves was in bump position and let the guy run right inside on him. He has horrible technique. He plays out of position too much, gets his feet crossed up too much, and has absolutely no ball skills. Bennett..well, I don't know what the hell his problem is. His technique isn't looking too hot right now either. His tackling is piss poor also.

God, please bring Dunta back to us suffering Texans fans stat :cry2:

13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Congratulations, you are in the running for dumbest post of the year award.

14. jdog

jdog All Pro

lol:

15. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

I'm not far behind!

16. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Good Post. :fans:

Bad Post. :mcnugget:

17. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I will admit that at this point I am interested to see what his value would be on the market.

18. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

If we can get two 1st or a 1st and a 2nd then I would do that trade in a heart beat. It looking more and more like AJ doesn't want to be here, and I don't want to keep him here if he doesn't want to play for us. Of course this is all speculation and we all know he's not going to come right out and say it, so we wont really know.

But Philly might be willing to do this trade, and if I'm not mistaken, I believe they have two 1st rounder for this years draft.

But you gotta wonder how the locker room would react if that scenario would go through.

19. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

I don't believe you guys. Andre Johnson is the best player we've got. You wanna find the donut hole this season this would be the quickest way to get there. You don't trade the rainmaker...even if he's had a couple of off games. A.J. makes everyone else on the offense better. He's a once in a generation receiver. You won't replace him easily.

20. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

You don't trade the best player on the team.