Just rewatched Jacks game

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Oct 1, 2008.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Ugggghh! I had forgotten that we had Jacksonville 4th and 8 on their last drive in the 4th quarter. Man, that game was ours to win.

thoughts:

1. Both Okoye and Robinson did a good job collapsing the pocket most of the day.

2. What's amazing to me is how quickly receivers are open when we drop 7 men. This must be a result of scheme, LBs, and/or safeties not doing their jobs most of the time.

3. Once again, Mario was excellent.

4. Duane Brown was absolutely awesome! He never received help. He picked up blitzes, once even passing the DE to the guard while he came off and got the blitzing CB and drove him out of the play. On Slaton's long run of 13, he made a diving cut block on the Lb to free up the second half of that run.

5. The combination of Briesel and Meyers simply aren't getting the job done in the run or pass game.

6. Bentley should be on the field instead of Diles or Greenwood.

7. Right now Reeves is our best CB.

HJam72, J-Russ and Kaiser Toro like this.
  2. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

Ouch. Bennet needs to wake up, and soon, otherwise Peyton is going to shred us. Honestly, sometimes I was actually happy to see Faggins on the field. :hides:

3. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

:thinking: That doesn't bode well... Not that I'm a Reeves hater, but still.....

4. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Wow! I actually agree with you. :)

5. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

I too flinched at that...truth hurts.

The 4th and 8 came down to us missing an assignment by the numbers (scheme). DeMeco was the only guy with a chance to get Garrard, but if he'd attacked too soon (left his coverage assignment), Garrard would've dumped it to the open receiver w/ the same end result.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  6. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Yeah, that one really hurt.

Okoye's bad rep. right now is kind of undeserved, although I still question the draft pick based on things completely outside of his control.

Scary, ain't it? I think it might be all of the above.

Another good draft choice by Smithiak.

Biggest reason I wanted to reply. Meyers and Briesel are making our O-line weak in the middle. :wild::foottap:

Yep. Is Bentley the one who came in real shortly for Ryans and had a couple good tackles? I don't know about moving Ryans over, but that guy needs to be on the field somewhere.

Ouch. No, double-ouch. :headhurts: Bennett needs to get it together. Still hoping for a healthy return for D-Rob.

7. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

These two points in particular jumped out at me. There were a couple of plays that Mario was an RCH away from pancaking Garrard. He was a factor all game long so I think to say that MW was excellent is absolutely correct.

I didn't watch too much of Brown as an individual but I did notice that his name was never called which to me is the biggest statement about a "big ugly's" play. It was a nice change of pace after the Pittsburgh game. I really felt for the big guy during that one.

8. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

that is until you saw him whiffing on a tackle during that fake punt....

9. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

If i remember correctly, Meco was an OLB at Alabama. He was converted to MLB when he hit the pros so i don't think it would be a stretch to put him on the outside if they felt they had to get this kid bentley in there somehow. It likely won't happen though for various reasons.......don't quote me this though.

10. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I watched the highlights. How many times in a ROW did JVille scramble Garrard out of the pocket and get at least 5+ yards? Ouch

Fool me once, etc etc

11. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I think this is the play that Mario was standing up between the guard and tackle on the left . Thompson was right next to him standing up . Earl Cochran did an inside move from the RE position and Garrard saw nothing but open field .

After the play the announcer said ... sometimes you can get to cute . That's not cute that's ugly .

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  12. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

That was not the 4th down play. The play you are referring to was a little earlier in the drive--Jax had a 3rd and 10 from our 48 with 4:54 to go (per the play-by-play). Had we stopped them there, they probably punt given the time and field position. But that's the play where Mario was standing and then everyone rushed to the right and nobody had contain to the left and Garrard trotted for the first down.

The 4th and 8 play was a classic example of the DT's losing middle contain. They both blew past (or got pushed past) Garrard and got bunched in with the DEs behind him. Had one of them done their jobs correctly, they would have at least been in front of Garrard. But neithed did, so all the linemen (OL and DL) ended up behind Garrard, letting him run in whatever direction he pleased.

13. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Think how different the attitude of this board would be if we would of stopped them on that one 4th down play.

I really like this Robinson kid. Him and Okoye will only get better.

Our OLB's are horrific!!!

He is the MAN!!

Passing on Mendenhall is looking smarter and smarter.

Briesel really makes me (miss) Weary.

After Ryans got hurt I was surprised Bently was subbed in at MLB. I would of though they would of slided Diles to the middle and put Bently on the outside. After seeing how good Bentley did in the middle I would like to see a lineup of Ryans and Adibi on the outside and Bentley in the middle.

I hate to throw judgement on our secondary until we develope some kind of a pass rush.

14. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

No doubt about it. Vinny and I were texting back and forth, and I told him that the 4th and 8 was going to haunt us if we couldn't stop it. Our current defense doesn't seem to be able to fight it's way out of a wet paper bag. That's gotta' change if we want to win any games this season.

Thanks for the game re-cap, too!

15. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Ryans is too entrenched at the Mike for them to make that kind of a move but I really wonder if that wouldn't be our most productive combination of linebackers. Hopefully we get to at least see some glimpses of Adibi soon.

16. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

Fixed it for you.

But seriously, nice recap dale.

17. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Yup. Our future still has Dunta in it. How he comes back and how close he gets his form back to where he was before the injury is huge. Not to mention Molden should hopefully have a say in the #2 spot. Bennett is looking more and more like depth. Maybe its just a bad spell.. but we will see. Then we still have to draft a top playmaking saftey or get one in free agency. Our secondary right now is knowhere where it will be 12 months from now.

18. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

Good stuff.

The one on D.Brown really excites me, so I guess we can now put the LT as a need to a rest.

I knew coming into this year that Brisel was going to suck, I'm disappointed that Myers is also in that sucky class that his RG is in.

I think we should put Bently as our SLB, and Adibi as our WLB. Hopefully our coaches are considering it, I can't stand another week of whiff tackling.

Number 7 is really saying alot... Bennett and co. must be really sucking if you're saying Reeves is playing on a another level then they are.... considering how he got burned and picked on the whole game.

Hopefully now people will lay off Okoye, I think he's going to start turning it up last Mario did last year... it would help if he had a competent DT next to him. Thank god TJ is out now and Zgnonia is in... this will work for now.

19. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

If pigs had wings they could fly. But pigs don't, and the Texans didn't - as usual. The attitude is justified.

20. Polo

Polo Guest

I'd say seeing a flying pig is a whole lot less likely than us stopping Jacksonville on that fourth down.

Being one play away does not equal seeing a pig fly.