Just PLEASE don't run Slaton into the ground...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by OzzO, May 20, 2009.

1. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

yahoo

I'd hate to see another DDW come from this.

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Slaton was 15th in the NFL in rushing attempts per game. I don't think we have to worry about running him into the ground. Its only in the last 3-5 years that we've really seen all this running back by committee business. He should be able to handle 20 carries a game

3. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

That also was the "Other" regime. Don't think Kubes will be that stupid.

4. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

The problem is that he's so dang good at everything from explosive plays to pass protecting to pass catching. Unless we find a good short yardage back, basically the team is downgrading itself every play he's out of the game, regardless of what they are trying to do. That creates a dilemna for a coach to keep his carries limited. It's pretty hard to voluntarily put in an offensive package knowing that the player at one important position that is best equipped to handle his role is healthy but standing on the sideline.

5. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

That's what happened last year. I'm not too sure that most realize that the Texans ran an average of 27.0 times per game..............of which 23.6 were carried by Slaton. My impression is that Kubiak is not only wanting to improve run efficiency, but also increase the number of carries per game to
    30 or more. Given dalemurphy's concerns, we must identify a "complimentary" back which instills as much confidence as Slaton. And all of this, of course, hinges on Slaton staying healthy.

6. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Yep. It's hard to take one of your best players off the field. DDW is a little different though, he was almost everything on offense. Carr was allergic to wide outs, so DDW ran the ball 30 times almost and caught 10 passes. He was the work horse.:cowboy1:

7. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I don't think more touches would necessarily mean more handoffs and pound it into the teeth of the big men. Slaton is most successful when he's got space to juke, though that's not to say he can't pound it. Personally, I'd like to see him on screens more or maybe line him up at the slot and run him in a reverse, just some plays to get him a little space (and maybe he gets tackled by 1 or 2 little DBs instead of 3 or 4 LBers and Dlinemen) There are so many options with such a dynamic runner. Alas, 10 carries a game won't belong to him and the 2nd and 3rd options seem much less dynamic but Slaton didn't exactly bring a hype machine with him before the season. Maybe Foster or Moats suprise this year like Slaton did last.

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

If it happens there will be another RB that will take over.

9. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

I'm a big fan of utilizing the FB position for more than just blocking. Finding an effective "blocker" who can also pound the ball up the middle can't be more difficult than finding a "complimentary" RB. An effective runner at the FB position now gives the defense something else to worry about when Slaten is in the game inside the 20. If I remember correctly, Jim Brown ran from the FB position and I really don't understand why the pro game got away from this aspect of the offensive game.

10. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Tom Rathman was the perfect FB in the WCO.

I also believe June 1st is right around the corner and there may be one or two RBs out there that we will sign.

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I don't think June 1st means diddly this season.

There will be plenty of roster cuts come camp and pre-season though.