Just how big a need is DT?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Maddict5, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

obviously we'd love to have a prototypical Haynesworth/Wilfork/Jenkins/Rogers type monster partnering a warren sapp/kevin williams penetrating 3 tech but just how badly do we need any new DT's?

since week 3: every week the cody/okoye/smith/zgonina combo has been excellent in run defence (id guess top 5) & gotten decent pressure too (antonio especially deserves special mention in this regard) so how big an upgrade need is it this offseason.

although okoye, cody & jeff generally cause a meh reaction from fans they must be doing decent to have the consistently good run defence we have. given our secondary & o-line woes, just what do we need at DT?

2. IBleedTexans

IBleedTexans Superbowl Bound

You know seriously.... , i think if we were to go after vince wilfork, our secondary improves dramaticly.If we did make a big splash in the offseason like that we would make dunta and quin look like studs corners.

3. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I think you may be on to something. I think DT is definitely in the "need" column but maybe not so much in the "desperate need" column. And judging by the drafts of the past few years, 1st round DT's aren't even close to a sure thing, we know that from Okoye. I think through free agency and the 3rd-7th rounds we just need to find DT(s) that fit our system and have upside and hope you get lucky. We really just need depth here because Zgonina is nothing to count on, Okoye needs to be pushed, Cody is a health question mark and Deljuan doesn't play many snaps.

And as far as DT targets, we need size thats for sure. We really had to cover up our small interior by blitzing a lot (Texans tops in the league in blitzes called) and I think with an actual space eating nose tackle we can rely on Antonio, Mario, and Barwin to win their phonebooth matchups and really just get pressure with the front 4.

4. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

i think it's a big enough need to spend a first or second round pick on.

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Kubiak/Bush seem to want/value a penetrating 3 tech. I have no idea what they expect from the NT. BUt run defense seems to be more a function of the LBs & DEs. We've been much better in run defense after Cushing got 3 weeks under his belt on this team, as well as the addition of Pollard.

Amobi has looked very good at times, but too far in between.

If I were Smithiak, I would be looking for a value DT in the third or 4th round.

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I really feel that we are talented enough that there is no definite position of need to say, "we've got to get a "XX" here."

We've got play-makers, bonafide Starters at every position. I understand the argument many have made for interior offensive line, but I believe Kubiak is satisfied with what he has to work with. I believe there will be some shuffling around, but overall, he's satisfied.

I expect us to trade down, and try to get an extra pick. If we can't make that happen, we'll pick the best prospect, regardless of what position, except maybe WR.

7. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

If a DT is highest rated player when your pick comes, take him. Agree that it isn't the biggest need.

8. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

We might love to have that type of DT, but the coaching staff wouldn't.

Smaller DT's fit with the defensive philosophy here. Seems like the linemen contain and the LB's make the plays.

So far, whatever we're doing seems like it's working. I don't expect to see any big changes at DT or anywhere on the D-Line for that matter.

9. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Let's not assume that the improvement in run defense will carry over. We thought we had a rushing attack heading into this year. Both lines need improvement.

JamesC likes this.
  10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I would say there is some truth to what you are saying. But we want to be able to pressure the QB with our DL. There is no question there.

But with Connor Barwin coming on, & AntSmith playing well inside, they may have what they want.

11. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

If there is a good value in the first I think it would be a nice investment in front of our young star LBs. If not there are certainly other areas we could address.

12. RagingBull

RagingBull Hall of Shame

I don't think there is any way that Wilfork leaves New England. Either they pay him or franchise him.

Richard Seymore, however is an UFA and I seriously doubt he will want to stay in Oakland.

13. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I hope you're right about that. Man, I sure would like to add Seymour to our D-line rotation.

Back to the original question. Adding a Haynesworth/Jenkins/Rogers quality DT in the middle of the line would make P.Manning very uncomfortable. But is it a critical need? I dunno if I'd put DT above FS or improving the interior O-line. I guess, in the draft anyway, we target those three positions and go best player available.

I guess what we do in F/A depends on how big a dent to our budget re-signing DeMeco, O.D., K.W., Pollard, and the other guys we want to hang onto will cost us. We're not in salary cap hell any more but we ain't all that "fat" either.

14. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Oakland didn't give up a 1st round pick for Seymour to play 16 games and leave, he will be franchised, probably twice

All of the big name d-lineman will be franchised and even if they weren't there's no way the Texans would sign any of them. We have our own players to pay here and add in Antonio Smith's deal last year, the finances just wouldn't permit such a move.

15. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

what he said, x 10

16. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Great post. People on this board have been banging this drum for a couple of years now and there's been ample opportunity to address it via the draft,a few cheaper FAs and some value trades.

I have a similar gut feeling about our safeties as well. Unfortunately I don't think we'll see free safety addressed high this year. I'd love to see them show Dunta the finger release him and look to CB early.

17. playa465

playa465 Site Contributor

Big massive NT may not be in our coaching staff's scheme, but next year's schedule has some physical power running teams that we didn't really face this year. Our D steadily improved this year, but I just don't feel comfortable with our DL trying to hold containment against some of those OLs that we are looking at on the schedule.

18. Jackie Chiles

One guy who fits the profile of a disruptive smaller DT that has pass rush ability is Brian Price. He could be available when we pick in the first round although plenty of time for him to rise or fall. He had a fantastic season for UCLA this year, check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irQMYESMEaY

19. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

He won't be on the board when the Texans draft, his stock is gonna soar the closer to the draft we get. Dan Williams (Tennessee), Arthur Jones (Syracuse), Marvin Austin (North Carolina) are all viable options in the 1st-2nd round.

20. Jackie Chiles

I agree, I think Price is going to be long gone. Of the other guys you mentioned I think Austin is going back to school and I'm not really feeling Jones. Williams would be a fine pick to help against the run and keep blockers off our LBs.