Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Just a possible observation..

The aggressive play calling has vanished. If we can't run Arian or Andre is covered, we're done offensively. Where are the throws to OD, and we don't even try to get another WR involved. This is not a talent issue any more. Schaub has concerns, but we don't attack teams like we did early in the year.

I agree. And to take it a step further, I am one hell of a Kevin Walters fan. He plays with heart and damned near catches everything thrown at him.

As I've stated in other threads, I'm tired of Foster right, Foster screen and AJ prayers. Both guys are great, but when they are getting doubled, we (Kubiak) have to wake up and go to other people. Sure, Foster and Dre can take it to the house at any given time. But we have to make the other team worry about somebody else. We have some very talented weapons in our arsenal that are rusting.

As I've stated in other threads, I'm tired of Foster right, Foster screen and AJ prayers. Both guys are great, but when they are getting doubled, we (Kubiak) have to wake up and go to other people. Sure, Foster and Dre can take it to the house at any given time. But we have to make the other team worry about somebody else. We have some very talented weapons in our arsenal that are rusting.

If I told you Matt completed 66% of his passes for 275 yards, Andre had 12 catches for 141 yards, & Arian carried the ball 16 times for 96 yards against the hapless Colts, how would you guess the offense played?

Keep in mind, Luck only completed 50% of his passes for less than 200 yards. Vick Ballard toted the rock 27 yards for only 78 yards, & Wayne had 4 catches for 40 yards... who do you think would have won the game?

Everybody in the flippin NFL wanted the Colts to win yesterday!! They LOVE to exploit a "feel good" story and, with no disrespect to Chuck Phangeo (sp), there was NO WAY IN HELL we were coming out of that game with a win!! We should have taken care of business against the Vikes, which IMHO was an easier team to beat. I've watched every damn game the Texans have ever played, and I'm not sure I've ever seen as many MISSED calls as I saw yesterday. I'm not blaming the refs entirely on our loss, but, I'm not sure that loss wasn't written in the books before the game was even played. WHY would Chuckie come back with ONE game left in the season, not a pressure game either, if not for an end of year FEEL GOOD story the NFL thrives on!! We were doomed before the game started.

The NFL also wants an AFC chamionship with the Patriots vs. Broncos. Big money and ratings for them. You can bet the calls will be in both teams favor to get them that matchup. Not saying a team can't beat em just that it will be extremely difficult. Whoever goes to New England and whoever goes to Denver will be playing the refs also.

To further clarify, the "quit" is, to me, more of a subconscious thing. I don't think there was a secret team meeting..don't think there ever is. You know how it happens. A couple people in a private conversation questioning play calling, etc, then next thing you know one of those guys is talking to another about it. Before you know it you've become mentally drowned with negativity and voices of dissension that not even a good pep talk can clear up. The only way to fix that kind of mind set is a new culture and imo the only way to establish a new culture is by bringing in new leadership.

In that case we'd be bringing in new leadership every year! Sure, tongues wag, and negativity can always be a downer, BUT, these guys get paid MILLIONS to overcome that crap and stay with the program, whether they like it or not! I detest the management at my work, but, I am PAID to do my job, regardless! These guys are SUPPOSE to be professionals, and if they are that petty, they need to go, not the management! DON'T misunderstand me please!! I'm not defending Gary Kubiak! I wanted him gone after the 2-14 season, but, he AIN'T goin anyplace, anytime soon!! Our players need to suck it up and play the friggin game to WIN, for themselves, for the fans, and for a bigger paycheck, whichever comes first in their small beanie minds!!

The NFL also wants an AFC chamionship with the Patriots vs. Broncos. Big money and ratings for them. You can bet the calls will be in both teams favor to get them that matchup. Not saying a team can't beat em just that it will be extremely difficult. Whoever goes to New England and whoever goes to Denver will be playing the refs also.

Anyone who disputes this, thinks the NFL is sport and not business.

It could just be the hangover from the Loss...but I don't believe I've ever seen AJ drop something that easy to catch and that huge. One of Matt's best passes I've seen and he whiffs?? Either AJ is not the AJ we think he is, or there is something amiss down on Kirby and I know DAMN WELL that AJ is the best receiver in the league. If AJ had a QB like Stafford, there'd be no question. He constantly has to slow down to catch the long ball and then fight off the defender for the reception. AJ would have probably had a couple seasons close to 2000 yards. Even when Cotton Shaub was putting up 4500 yards a few years back, he still never really had arm strength. I mean work out your damn triceps or something..geez.

ha im loving that in a thread that features the phrase 'mcnair needs to wake up to reality' prominently that aj apparently never drops an easy ball or that hes the best wr in the league:vincepalm:

In that case we'd be bringing in new leadership every year! Sure, tongues wag, and negativity can always be a downer, BUT, these guys get paid MILLIONS to overcome that crap and stay with the program, whether they like it or not! I detest the management at my work, but, I am PAID to do my job, regardless! These guys are SUPPOSE to be professionals, and if they are that petty, they need to go, not the management! DON'T misunderstand me please!! I'm not defending Gary Kubiak! I wanted him gone after the 2-14 season, but, he AIN'T goin anyplace, anytime soon!! Our players need to suck it up and play the friggin game to WIN, for themselves, for the fans, and for a bigger paycheck, whichever comes first in their small beanie minds!!

Yeah but even at your job, dissension can cause a decrease in productivity. That is exactly what we see right now with the Texans. It seems nobody is on the same page. The line has lost touch with Foster, and he is not finding the holes like he has in years past. Schaub seems totally out of sink and totally defeated. If anyone has to be questioning the play calling, it's him. This is especially true given the fact that Schaub is rarely, if ever, allowed to audible out of a play. If it's a run, it doesn't matter how much the defense stacks the box; we are running the ball. It has to be deflating.

I don't buy it. Just because they get paid millions doesn't mean they are above normal human emotions and reactions. Hopefully, they get it together. But I won't hold my breath.

This is such Bullstarch....only fans who cannot accept that their team got beat whines about the calls, the refs or how the NFL 'wants' certain matchups for rating and $$$.

Only the networks worry about the Matchups and ratings. Anyhting else is a farce.

1 thing I have noticed as far as our DEF drop off is guys are not running to the ball. I see a lot of guys standing watching others make plays. At the start of the season it seemed like everyone was running to the ball. Group tackling all the time, now 1 guy misses a tackle its a long gain with guys just watching.

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
Watt: Defense was flying around today. Practice was a lot of fun.

This is such Bullstarch....only fans who cannot accept that their team got beat whines about the calls, the refs or how the NFL 'wants' certain matchups for rating and $$$.

Only the networks worry about the Matchups and ratings. Anyhting else is a farce.

Really!!? If I was a betting woman I'd have bet against my team when we played the Colts last week. I watched the game calm, but irritated. Where do you think "feel good" stories come from anyway? The freaking MEDIA! I accepted the loss against the Colts, knew it was coming, BUT, I didn't accept the loss against the Vikes. Our team was HORRIBLE and deserved to lose! We should have beat the Colts, PERIOD!

If you read this MB very much you will find out that these guys are hard as hell on our team! Most do NOT accept mediocre play, bad attitudes, or crappy coaching. Every game we've lost this year we played like crap on all levels of play. GB and NE made us look like Jr High kids playing ball. I have NO idea WHY we played so bad against the VIkes, but, the Colts was a dead game before the whistle was blown. JMO!!

Really!!? If I was a betting woman I'd have bet against my team when we played the Colts last week. I watched the game calm, but irritated. Where do you think "feel good" stories come from anyway? The freaking MEDIA! I accepted the loss against the Colts, knew it was coming, BUT, I didn't accept the loss against the Vikes. Our team was HORRIBLE and deserved to lose! We should have beat the Colts, PERIOD!

If you read this MB very much you will find out that these guys are hard as hell on our team! Most do NOT accept mediocre play, bad attitudes, or crappy coaching. Every game we've lost this year we played like crap on all levels of play. GB and NE made us look like Jr High kids playing ball. I have NO idea WHY we played so bad against the VIkes, but, the Colts was a dead game before the whistle was blown. JMO!!

Apreciate your passion but you are wrong IMO.

What possible benefit would the League get from the refs blowing calls for the Colts?

Chuck Pagano's story was extraordinary in that I cannot remember a HC leaving his team because of Leukemia or cancer, leaving a first year OC and rookie QB to lead a roster that was completely turned over from a year ago.

Methinks its just jealousy but I could be wrong. ;)

Apreciate your passion but you are wrong IMO.

What possible benefit would the League get from the refs blowing calls for the Colts?

Chuck Pagano's story was extraordinary in that I cannot remember a HC leaving his team because of Leukemia or cancer, leaving a first year OC and rookie QB to lead a roster that was completely turned over from a year ago.

Methinks its just jealousy but I could be wrong. ;)

1) Why are you trolling a texans forum? ~ Perhaps to ease your own woe's? 2) You have no clue what you are talking about.. Did you see the strip-sack fumble they overturned? :goodpost:

1) Why are you trolling a texans forum? ~ Perhaps to ease your own woe's? 2) You have no clue what you are talking about.. Did you see the strip-sack fumble they overturned? :goodpost:

Trolling? OOh, so 90's of you...

Its a discussion board, no? Why when a fan from another team comes on, everyone assumes they are hiding something about their own team? You guys crack me up...

The 'fumble' was the veritable definitin of the "Tuck Rule". The rule sucks but until its eliminated, then what transpired, is the definition of the Tuck Rule.

Thats not what cost you the game. Whining about refs is for losers....

ha im loving that in a thread that features the phrase 'mcnair needs to wake up to reality' prominently that aj apparently never drops an easy ball or that hes the best wr in the league:vincepalm:

Like I said when I started this thread, these are just MY observations and the way I feel about things and I don't believe I have made a statement as a fact perse.

As far as your facepalm, if you can prove me wrong I welcome it. Other than AJ coming back from injury, when before has he dropped such easy balls? He is in stellar form at this point and that ball went through his arms like he started thinking about riding bikes or what he was going to do in the offseason. AJ, is one of, if not the best WR in the league and that is also my opinion. Calvin Johnson is indeed great, but considering who's throwing the balls, I'd take AJ receiving from any top 10 QB all day over CJ receiving from Shaub. You swap those two out, and stories would be quite a bit different.

So take you facepalm and replace it with facts before you come in here arrogantly suggesting my opinion as ludicrous.

Trolling? OOh, so 90's of you...

Its a discussion board, no? Why when a fan from another team comes on, everyone assumes they are hiding something about their own team? You guys crack me up...

The 'fumble' was the veritable definitin of the "Tuck Rule". The rule sucks but until its eliminated, then what transpired, is the definition of the Tuck Rule.

Thats not what cost you the game. Whining about refs is for losers....

Besides that fumble, which does fall under the "tuck" rule and that was a heads up play by luck and nothing less, there have been a couple instances in the last few weeks where clear fumbles were whistled dead bi refs, some EXTREMELY questionable Off/Def Pass interference calls with very similar situations going against the Texans.

Now, for the record I know we all get upset about calls, and fair enough upon review I'm usually telling other fans it was legit and to chill out, but there have been some plays that were even reviewed that have still went against us. Conspiracy? I don't know, I hope not, but I do know at the minimum it is questionable.

One of the big reasons the NBA makes me mad is the ref is given so much power to completely change the momentum of the game and the NFL is becoming very much the same. Players and plays should change momentum, not some zebra who's task is to make sure the game is played fairly and does not get out of hand.

they will never give up on kubes this is his team he built it from the ground up im talking about the offensive

if any thing i just see dissapointment in themselfs for just gettin beat thats all

its kinda hard for some people when u give your best 150 % yet thats not even good enough

Agreed. The good teams win in spite of bad calls. That includes the GreenBay/Seattle game earlier this year. Had the Packers been able to keep Rogers on his feet, that game wouldn't have been close & that simultaneous catch wouldn't have been an issue.

Besides that fumble, which does fall under the "tuck" rule and that was a heads up play by luck and nothing less, there have been a couple instances in the last few weeks where clear fumbles were whistled dead bi refs, some EXTREMELY questionable Off/Def Pass interference calls with very similar situations going against the Texans.

Now, for the record I know we all get upset about calls, and fair enough upon review I'm usually telling other fans it was legit and to chill out, but there have been some plays that were even reviewed that have still went against us. Conspiracy? I don't know, I hope not, but I do know at the minimum it is questionable.

One of the big reasons the NBA makes me mad is the ref is given so much power to completely change the momentum of the game and the NFL is becoming very much the same. Players and plays should change momentum, not some zebra who's task is to make sure the game is played fairly and does not get out of hand.

I wouldn't watch the NBA if I was taking a dump and was bored so the analogy is lost on me....

PI calls are always and have always been, a subjective call- it is that referee's
opinion of the interpretation of the rule....nothing you can do about that. Plus the speed of the game is so fast, one has to make a split second decision- You ever ref a sport? I reffed Lacrosse for 10 years- talk about fast paced....

Every team's fan base has a conspiracy theory of the NFL refs against them.....

Like I said when I started this thread, these are just MY observations and the way I feel about things and I don't believe I have made a statement as a fact perse.

As far as your facepalm, if you can prove me wrong I welcome it. Other than AJ coming back from injury, when before has he dropped such easy balls? He is in stellar form at this point and that ball went through his arms like he started thinking about riding bikes or what he was going to do in the offseason. AJ, is one of, if not the best WR in the league and that is also my opinion. Calvin Johnson is indeed great, but considering who's throwing the balls, I'd take AJ receiving from any top 10 QB all day over CJ receiving from Shaub. You swap those two out, and stories would be quite a bit different.

So take you facepalm and replace it with facts before you come in here arrogantly suggesting my opinion as ludicrous.

All that poster does is agitate and piss people off. He lives for it.

So don't worry about it. I stopped quoting him months ago, because it's not worth the effort to just have him get you into a flame war. You can't fight fire with fire. You'll just wear yourself out. I have gotten to where I know which posters I can quote and which I can't. Some, you just have to NEVER quote them no matter what. It's science.

I see what you're saying and I agree. I've been seeing it for going on 6 games now. At some point, the players are going to choose to keep trying hard for the coach (even if they have a small doubt in the back of their heads) but all men have a snapping point. I think our guys are reaching theirs.

I wouldn't watch the NBA if I was taking a dump and was bored so the analogy is lost on me....

PI calls are always and have always been, a subjective call- it is that referee's
opinion of the interpretation of the rule....nothing you can do about that. Plus the speed of the game is so fast, one has to make a split second decision- You ever ref a sport? I reffed Lacrosse for 10 years- talk about fast paced....

Every team's fan base has a conspiracy theory of the NFL refs against them.....

Ok, I'll be more specific.

In the Patriots game, one of our defenders ran in front of their receiver while both going after the ball and defensive PI is called. Then, the exact opposite occured and Offensive PI is called. Just stuff like that...

In the Patriots game, one of our defenders ran in front of their receiver while both going after the ball and defensive PI is called. Then, the exact opposite occured and Offensive PI is called. Just stuff like that...

I've been watching all the playoff teams games over the holiday- give me some references for the plays you speak of qtr clock down distance etc.....

Refs blow calls all the time....

I've been watching all the playoff teams games over the holiday- give me some references for the plays you speak of qtr clock down distance etc.....

Refs blow calls all the time....

It's not enough that it happened? I don't have time to scour through 3 hours of football at the moment, but I saw it when it happened and watched the reviews and I saw the two same plays both go in the Patriots favor. It really stuck out because I thought it was a load of crap! I'm believe I'm fairly reasonable when it comes to calls, like the tuck rule, I'll give him that. Other stuff is hard to call in real time, I know that too. But when you take two of the same instances and flip them and the call both times goes to one team...that's jacked up. I'm sure there's another fan here that knows what I'm talking about and may know where to find those 2 plays better than I do.

It's not enough that it happened? I don't have time to scour through 3 hours of football at the moment, but I saw it when it happened and watched the reviews and I saw the two same plays both go in the Patriots favor. It really stuck out because I thought it was a load of crap! I'm believe I'm fairly reasonable when it comes to calls, like the tuck rule, I'll give him that. Other stuff is hard to call in real time, I know that too. But when you take two of the same instances and flip them and the call both times goes to one team...that's jacked up. I'm sure there's another fan here that knows what I'm talking about and may know where to find those 2 plays better than I do.

What I know is that the Texans were really good in the penalty department for a long time (despite the blocks in the back on ST), but the calls went 999 degrees around in December.

What I know is that the Texans were really good in the penalty department for a long time (despite the blocks in the back on ST), but the calls went 999 degrees around in December.

& some of them have been doozies. The one against Brandon Harris vs Reggie Wayne..... c'mon, Reggie pushed him out of the way, BH was holding on for dear life. Had he not fought back, he'd have been on the ground & I doubt the ref would have called it.

That last one against Kj, he's got a step on the receiver, going for the ball. The receiver grabs his shoulder & pulls him back. Kj puts his hands up so the refs see him & they throw the flag on Kj... I couldn't believe that.

Same thing with LeStar Jean getting called for the Offensive PI. That was ridiculous.

& some of them have been doozies. The one against Brandon Harris vs Reggie Wayne..... c'mon, Reggie pushed him out of the way, BH was holding on for dear life. Had he not fought back, he'd have been on the ground & I doubt the ref would have called it.

That last one against Kj, he's got a step on the receiver, going for the ball. The receiver grabs his shoulder & pulls him back. Kj puts his hands up so the refs see him & they throw the flag on Kj... I couldn't believe that.

Same thing with LeStar Jean getting called for the Offensive PI. That was ridiculous.

Well, before pushing him out, Wayne grabbed and pulled Brandon Harris in, toward him, all the while hiding it from the back judge.

I detest watching the grin on Wayne's face as he fled the crime scene just as I watched the grin on Luck's face when he walked back out onto the field after that blown fumble call.

They knew they got away with favorable calls; there's no other way to explain their reaction.

Aain, if you are whining about refs calls as to why you lost, then you didn't do enough to put yourself in a position to win.

Well, before pushing him out, Wayne grabbed and pulled Brandon Harris in, toward him, all the while hiding it from the back judge.

I detest watching the grin on Wayne's face as he fled the crime scene just as I watched the grin on Luck's face when he walked back out onto the field after that blown fumble call.

They knew they got away with favorable calls; there's no other way to explain their reaction.

Maybe we're looking at a culmination of all these things bearing down on the back of the players' minds. The consistently bad calls the last few weeks, the 3rd and long draws, the predictable play calling, the not going for it while trailing in the 4th on 4th and 1, the not switching to zone coverage while getting burnt on man and no consistent pressure to the QB. I mean, as a team, it has to be on their minds, and when you are in a mental funk, regardless of how much you make (see Heath Ledger), it is a powerful thing. People underestimate the power of the mind and think just because they can flip burgers right after smoking a blunt that a football player should be able to perform with a lot of doubt on his mind. Maybe we need a team therapist?? haha

Aain, if you are whining about refs calls as to why you lost, then you didn't do enough to put yourself in a position to win.

hey, hey... hey now. I'm not whining. I agreed with you earlier. I feel the same way.

76 & I are just acknowledging there have been some egregious calls... that's all. Not saying that's why we lost, but we understand how someone could adopt that idea.

Maybe we're looking at a culmination of all these things bearing down on the back of the players' minds. The consistently bad calls the last few weeks, the 3rd and long draws, the predictable play calling, the not going for it while trailing in the 4th on 4th and 1, the not switching to zone coverage while getting burnt on man and no consistent pressure to the QB.

Some of the things you mentioned is nothing more than messageboard fodder. The playing man thing..... we play a lot of man. But the plays we got burned on, especially the big plays, weren't pure man schemes. We had a flat footed safety watching the receivers run past him on their way to a bad ass catch & run. We leave our guys on islands, but we mix in a lot of safety help & disguised coverages.

Don't listen to the guys on the radio. Zone coverages break down just as easily against guys like Brady & Rogers. They know where the holes are before the defense does (because they know which patterns are ran).

I also think a lot of the 3rd & long draws is Matt checking out of a called play. Kubiak said as much after one of the games. Matt didn't like what he saw & checked to a draw.

But mainly, I think Kubiak has been trying to keep the guys on an even keel so long, that when it's time to get emotional.... they can't.

More or less, I agree with you.

But mainly, I think Kubiak has been trying to keep the guys on an even keel so long, that when it's time to get emotional.... they can't.

Totally agree with this.. While I think there is a very good attribute to keeping the team on an even keel, he needs to let them get balled out emotional!! I honsetly think this is the area where Brian Cushing is the most missed.

I cannot subscribe to the theory that these guys have quit; subconsciously or otherwise.

If A.J. played his heart out when we went 2-14, it defies logic that he would purposefully drop a TD pass to spite Kubiak when he finally makes it to playoffland.

If anything, they're trying too hard not to screw up. That leads to thinking about not screwing up instead of just going out and flying around. If they have to think first instead of acting on instinct, that puts them a split sec behind the other guy. ...a half step away from where they need to be. They get caught looking instead of doing. And that will get them beat.

I see this in Schaub more than anyone else.

Damn if I know what the cure for it is.

Demps got benched for giving up a big play in the last Colts game, and he did the same **** yesterday.

In the Denver game earlier he also gave up that Manning TD to Decker that spark their comeback . It was the exact same play but was on the other side of the hash mark. That guy is a HUGE liability at the safety position.

Damn if I know what the cure for it is.

Wining. That's the only cure. They need to get this "biggest game in Texans history" crap out of there minds & just play football.

We're guilty of the same thing here. I just saw the "The road to the play offs start today" thread & the "if we win today we'll go to the AFC Championship game. If not we're one & done" thinking we have. Winning or losing that game had nk more importance than the Patriots game. We win Saturday, we're still alive. Rinse & repeat. That's all there is to it.

hey, hey... hey now. I'm not whining. I agreed with you earlier. I feel the same way.

76 & I are just acknowledging there have been some egregious calls... that's all. Not saying that's why we lost, but we understand how someone could adopt that idea.

Iwasn't directing the comment 'you' at you- maybe I should have wrotten 'one'.

Bad calls in every game....

Watched the whole game- nothing stood out. Angles can be different so what you see is different than what the refs see......

Watched the whole game- nothing stood out. Angles can be different so what you see is different than what the refs see......

I watched each games several times.
I watch a Texans game pretty much every day besides other games I want to watch, so please understand that I have good reasons to point out unbalanced officiating.

Back