Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Just a magnificent blocking performance!!!

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
It's been a long time since I've seen a defense get so consistently gashed play after play after play.

I know Foster is going to get all the accolades this week, but I saw him just patiently following this beast named Vonta Leach into holes wide enough to drive a truck through by tackles Eric Winston and Duane Brown, center Chris Myers, left guard Wade Smith and right guards Antoine Caldwell and Mike Brisiel. I know that Kubiak worked hard on the running game during offseason and TC, but if what we saw on Sunday was something that he'd been keeping under wraps until opening day, then he deserves a lot of credit.

I know that the offensive line has got to be brimming with confidence right now, and that alone makes all the difference in the world.

Boy, if we only had a halfway decent passing game to go along with the running game, we might be pretty good.:joker:

It's been a long time since I've seen a defense get so consistently gashed play after play after play.

I know Foster is going to get all the accolades this week, but I saw him just patiently following this beast named Vonta Leach into holes wide enough to drive a truck through by tackles Eric Winston and Duane Brown, center Chris Myers, left guard Wade Smith and right guards Antoine Caldwell and Mike Brisiel. I know that Kubiak worked hard on the running game during offseason and TC, but if what we saw on Sunday was something that he'd been keeping under wraps until opening day, then he deserves a lot of credit.

I know that the offensive line has got to be brimming with confidence right now, and that alone makes all the difference in the world.

Boy, if we only had a halfway decent passing game to go along with the running game, we might be pretty good.:joker:

Tell me about it. I mean how in the world can a team expect to win games with a QB that throws for 4700+ yards and 29 TDs. That is absurd...

*I can't wait when both are clicking at the same time...Foster for 100+ and Schaub with 300+...*

Great thread.

The line + Vonta were absolutely stellar. Not only were the holes huge but you rarely saw a lineman standing around with no one to block, everyone was putting a hat on someone and Arian was able to slip tackles and consistently pickup an extra few yards because of the collective effort. If they play with that level of passion and attitude next week, we just might have the beginning of something very, very nice.

No running back has seen holes that big since Emmitt Smith, when he had Larry Allen and Erik Williams clearing out 8 lane highways for him.

I would love to start seeing us put up 14 and 21 point leads on teams and then running the ball and the clock out. The O line and the coaches deserve all the credit for Foster's performance.

I imagine that we won't be able to average 5+ yards per carry against teams with bigger D lines, but it's good to know that we can have a balanced offense.

I 100% agree, but my favorite thing to see was Colt's defenders running the opposite direction from Vontae Leach towards the end of the game. They wanted no part of what he was offering. I think V. Leach was a large part of Arian's success today, he (VL) was making the first Colt to pop his head in the running lane pay, all day long. Leach is my unsung hero of the day for the Texans (and Neal Rackers: "Personal Foul #4! LOL)

To me it always starts up front. Our OL and Leach both did a hell of a job opening up holes and getting to the 2nd level. They did an outstanding job.

Still can't discount ANYTHING Foster did. He read the holes very well, made those reads and cuts backs like a champ and showed EXCELLENT acceleration through them. That 4th down too - he was all blocked up and had to push it to the outside and made it!!

But here is where I kind of have some reservations. Those that watched closely and know their X's and O's and defensive schemes can help me out. It just seemed to me that Indy's defense actually had a "pretty smart" game plan. I say that b/c we were the top Passing team last year, we're a very very very very dangerous passing team. And what did they do? It looked to me that they wanted to shut us down and force us to run the ball. Our rushing game is the weakest (30th in nfl last year?)... they wanted to make us beat them by running the ball, they weren't going to let Schaub beat them.

So, it kinda seems with their defensive strategy that they were willing to give up some rushing yards to us. The good news is we ran with it (pun intended) and capitalized on this. Again, I don't want to discount anything our offense did, but I wouldn't count on 231 yard rushing games every week.

The good news: After today all the other teams know that we've got a ground attack. If the let us run on them... we can and we will. This is only going to open up the passing attack more.

To me it always starts up front. Our OL and Leach both did a hell of a job opening up holes and getting to the 2nd level. They did an outstanding job.

Still can't discount ANYTHING Foster did. He read the holes very well, made those reads and cuts backs like a champ and showed EXCELLENT acceleration through them. That 4th down too - he was all blocked up and had to push it to the outside and made it!!

But here is where I kind of have some reservations. Those that watched closely and know their X's and O's and defensive schemes can help me out. It just seemed to me that Indy's defense actually had a "pretty smart" game plan. I say that b/c we were the top Passing team last year, we're a very very very very dangerous passing team. And what did they do? It looked to me that they wanted to shut us down and force us to run the ball. Our rushing game is the weakest (30th in nfl last year?)... they wanted to make us beat them by running the ball, they weren't going to let Schaub beat them.

So, it kinda seems with their defensive strategy that they were willing to give up some rushing yards to us. The good news is we ran with it (pun intended) and capitalized on this. Again, I don't want to discount anything our offense did, but I wouldn't count on 231 yard rushing games every week.

The good news: After today all the other teams know that we've got a ground attack. If the let us run on them... we can and we will. This is only going to open up the passing attack more.

I saw a lot of what you saw. The Colts defensive backs REFUSED to
help in the run game; thus, there was no biting on our playaction. Rick
Dennison just decided late in the game to run the ball right at them for
the rest of the night.

O line did a hell of a job. Now I only hope they stay hungry and aggressive week after week and do not allow a let down the next game which they are unfortunately known for sometimes.

My friends finally convinced me to do fantasy this year and all scoffed at me for taking Arian in the 1st round and starting him. Lol @ them. I tried to tell them all but they wouldn't listen and the ironic thing is they know how much I know about football and that is why they kept trying to get me to join and STILL wouldn't listen.

Foster is the man right now and that O line is primed!!!

It also showed that Kubiak outcoached the Colts. A nice change

I think you called it correctly and who could blame the Colts? My plan for them would have been the same: shut down Schaub and AJ and hope the TEs don't beat you. Foster ran through some very big holes because he was quick enough and powerful enough. As much as I enjoyed watching him, the game ball for offensive player goes to Leach. As always a workhorse, he simply gutted it out and outplayed even his usual good performance. He had great blocks and it seemed as if he was mentally reaching back and pulling Foster behind him. This could be a very productive pair. I like Slaton for bringing that change of pace. He only had 6 rushe but averaged 4.8. I hope Vontae is not too sore for SUnday.

It also showed that Kubiak outcoached the Colts. A nice change
So true. That's great to see. I heard Schaub on the radio this morning and it sounded like we were going to come out the 2nd Half getting the ball and were planning on passing more but Indy kept giving them the run so they went with it. I like the fact that this occurred. Too many times last year did we try to "run to set up the pass" when we're not that team. We're a "pass to set up the run" kind of team. Take what the other team gives you and capitalize.
I think you called it correctly and who could blame the Colts? My plan for them would have been the same: shut down Schaub and AJ and hope the TEs don't beat you.
Exactly, it's the same in most sports. basketball? Shut down the star player, double team him, make the supporting cast beat you. What do teams try to do against running QB's like Vince Young? Limit his running, Make him beat you by throwing the ball. That's his weakness, make him use it. Same with us running the ball.

Exactly, it's the same in most sports. basketball? Shut down the star player, double team him, make the supporting cast beat you. What do teams try to do against running QB's like Vince Young? Limit his running, Make him beat you by throwing the ball. That's his weakness, make him use it. Same with us running the ball.

Man, I hope our weakness continues to be running the ball. We kick some serious ass with it. :ahhaha:

I'm not a very big basketball fan, but I've got a friend who's a Bulls fan and eats, sleeps, and breathes basketball. He always tells me that the way you stop Kobe is by letting him score his points. If you shut down his supporting cast, he'll get stats that look good, but he won't score enough points on his own to beat you.

My biggest concern yesterday was with the pass protection. Matt was lucky he didn't turn the ball over twice, and he was getting blasted. That has me a little worried because most (if not almost all) of the defense we face the rest of the year will be much bigger than the Colts. The Colts are built for speed and can be manhandled by our small line. I don't think others can so easily.

It was amazing, man, and I cannot deny that tiny part of me kept waiting for the proverbial "other shoe to fall". But that shoe ended up being a boot planted firmly in Indy's behind.

It was a game that has been a long time coming and one that we have waited for as Texans fans for many years. I saw an attitude in this team's spirit that I have never seen with this franchise. They had swagger, grit, and sheer determination to impose their will on a team that has been their master for far too long. And it all started in the trenches.

And in honor of that performance, and giving props where it is due, I am taking the time in your thread to tell you (Marcus) that I am not going to mutter the term milquetoast in relation to our head coach again. I know it is a term that you've had issues with, so out of respect and honor for this team's performance, the rest of the season, and yourself, I wanted to extend this peace pipe. We witnessed something yesterday that is truly a new level for this franchise, and that comes from the top. Kubiak's strategy, gutsy fourth down call, and feistiness on the sideline was a sight to behold. The sky is the limit for this team this season. I respect and acknowledge that accordingly. I sincerely hope that my message is received with the same positive attitude that wrote it. :)

I'm not a very big basketball fan, but I've got a friend who's a Bulls fan and eats, sleeps, and breathes basketball. He always tells me that the way you stop Kobe is by letting him score his points. If you shut down his supporting cast, he'll get stats that look good, but he won't score enough points on his own to beat you.
I think there's a difference between knowing an All-Star like Kobe is "going to get his points" vs. "letting him score". I totally get what your saying, but the fine line I'm getting at is like knowing Peyton is going to pass the ball for a lot of yards. Knowing he will "get his yards" and "letting him get his yards" are like playing/defending the pass and limiting them as much as possible vs. playing the run and letting him go wild.

Definitely. The Colts looked at the tape on us and their plan was to "give" us the run and focus everything on getting after Schaub and taking AJ away. That was a big reason why the INT happened. Dennison expected the Colts to start honoring the run more but they didn't and they left that safety back.

So, Dennison and Kubes came up with the perfect counter strategy: take what they're giving. They gave us the run, so we took it.

We probably won't see that sort of defense again because we've shown everyone that if you load up against our pass, we'll kill you with the run. This is going to be keeping a lot of teams a lot more honest against us and this should only be good for us. We probably won't run for another 200 yards but, otoh, we probably won't throw for only 100 yards again. Schaub's probably not going to throw for 4770 yards again this year, but he's probably not going to have to.

My biggest concern yesterday was with the pass protection. Matt was lucky he didn't turn the ball over twice, and he was getting blasted. That has me a little worried because most (if not almost all) of the defense we face the rest of the year will be much bigger than the Colts. The Colts are built for speed and can be manhandled by our small line. I don't think others can so easily.
The sack Dwight F. got was all on Duane Brown. He was just caught napping I guess but it happens. Freek has made many guys look like they were home asleep in their bed. Over all I was very impressed by our Oline.

Definitely. The Colts looked at the tape on us and their plan was to "give" us the run and focus everything on getting after Schaub and taking AJ away. That was a big reason why the INT happened. Dennison expected the Colts to start honoring the run more but they didn't and they left that safety back.

So, Dennison and Kubes came up with the perfect counter strategy: take what they're giving. They gave us the run, so we took it.

We probably won't see that sort of defense again because we've shown everyone that if you load up against our pass, we'll kill you with the run. This is going to be keeping a lot of teams a lot more honest against us and this should only be good for us. We probably won't run for another 200 yards but, otoh, we probably won't throw for only 100 yards again. Schaub's probably not going to throw for 4770 yards again this year, but he's probably not going to have to.

This was my reoccuring thought throughout the whole second half.
I now dare the 'skins to figure out what we will do when we come to town.

Go Milquetoast!!! :fans: :)

milqopus.jpg

Don't forget Opus!! :fingergun:

And in honor of that performance, and giving props where it is due, I am taking the time in your thread to tell you (Marcus) that I am not going to mutter the term milquetoast in relation to our head coach again. I know it is a term that you've had issues with, so out of respect and honor for this team's performance, the rest of the season, and yourself, I wanted to extend this peace pipe. We witnessed something yesterday that is truly a new level for this franchise, and that comes from the top. Kubiak's strategy, gutsy fourth down call, and feistiness on the sideline was a sight to behold. The sky is the limit for this team this season. I respect and acknowledge that accordingly. I sincerely hope that my message is received with the same positive attitude that wrote it. :)

Your hope is my command, my fellow Texans fan! What a difference it makes in getting a season started off on the right track, and making a statment in doing so. It's a good feeling, a GREAT feeling!

Let me tell you what happened to me yesterday. My wife and I had business meeting at gametime, so we had to record it and couldn't see it until last night. But before I could watch it, a good friend of mine called me around 4:30 pm and wanted to talk about it. I said, "Don't tell the score, or who won, I haven't watched it yet!" Frustrated that he couldn't talk about it, he said "Well, I can just give a hint?" I caved in . . . "Yeah, go ahead, give me a hint."

He said, "Well, Manning threw for over 400 yards, and Schaub threw for just over 100".

I went "OH NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!" He laughed and hung up the phone.

I almost didn't even watch the game. I was sure that they lost. My friend is still laughing. He got me good.

We also have a 1000-yard rusher sitting on then bench in Slaton.

Things are looking for good right now.

Plus, ditching the pure ZBS has helped alot. They system was well past its prime (ask the Redskins' running game how its working)

We also have a 1000-yard rusher sitting on then bench in Slaton.

Things are looking for good right now.

Plus, ditching the pure ZBS has helped alot. They system was well past its prime (ask the Redskins' running game how its working)

Yup, Slaton looked great in limited carry opportunities. 5 yards a carry, no concerning upright, strip happy carrying, hitting the holes with quickness. I liked it

Your hope is my command, my fellow Texans fan! What a difference it makes in getting a season started off on the right track, and making a statment in doing so. It's a good feeling, a GREAT feeling!

Let me tell you what happened to me yesterday. My wife and I had business meeting at gametime, so we had to record it and couldn't see it until last night. But before I could watch it, a good friend of mine called me around 4:30 pm and wanted to talk about it. I said, "Don't tell the score, or who won, I haven't watched it yet!" Frustrated that he couldn't talk about it, he said "Well, I can just give a hint?" I caved in . . . "Yeah, go ahead, give me a hint."

He said, "Well, Manning threw for over 400 yards, and Schaub threw for just over 100".

I almost didn't even watch the game. I was sure that they lost. My friend is still laughing. He got me good.

Ha, that's cold, bro. Funny, but brutally cold

I think there's a difference between knowing an All-Star like Kobe is "going to get his points" vs. "letting him score". I totally get what your saying, but the fine line I'm getting at is like knowing Peyton is going to pass the ball for a lot of yards. Knowing he will "get his yards" and "letting him get his yards" are like playing/defending the pass and limiting them as much as possible vs. playing the run and letting him go wild.

I definitely understand what you're saying here. You can't just sit back and let him do his thing or he will carve you up. I think the Texans did a great job yesterday of what I wanted to see: treating Peyton like just another QB.

I had said before that playing the "keep Peyton off the field" game is something I hate. And while technically we did that, we were not afraid to let him on the field. I think we made them punt 4 straight times, including when they started a drive on our side of the field, got that penalty, and still made them punt.

We made a statement with that drive, IMO, that we weren't going to melt down like last year. Peyton did his best to beat us and we flipped him the bird in response. I'm not sure if anyone else heard it, but watching on t.v., Bernard got into an argument on the sidelines after a play and was dropping tons of uncensored F bombs. Thought that was pretty funny.

(Does anyone else find it amusing that Peyton had to stage an intervention for the offense when they didn't get the onside kick and we could run out the clock. It was almost like an "how can we possibly lose and remain sane" moment).

they said he retired because of burnout, I wonder if his heart was still here with these guys? they sure played in a manner he would be proud of :cool:

The Gibbs system was rendered obsolete by rule changes and the evolution of defensive linemen. When 320lb DTs are just as athletic as 280lb, the system falls apart.

Gibbs also never brought the meaness that Denver had. I didn't see any Texans trying to intentionally injure opposing players, something the Broncos unofficially did.

It's a beautiful feeling and that kind of performance restores hope and optimism to this rabid fanbase.

It is a GREAT feeling, my friend! :fans:

Funny story about your buddy. I was on the edge of my seat the whole game, and you probably had the same feeling in the back of your mind that many of us had about when are the "other" Texans going to show up. I think yesterday was a exorcism of sorts. This team has a whole new confidence about it, and you can even hear it in their post-game interviews.

After suffering a dislocated kneecap - instead of being front and center, his kneecap had moved behind his leg - Myers said he would play football even if it meant that after retiring he would be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

A speed lineman whom University of Miami teammate Brett Romberg described as “light in the britches,” Myers was hurt more than most would be by the ankle injury. But he is old school, an “all ball” and “lunch pail” guy,” Gary Kubiak says.

“There is no excuse,” Myers said. “I had to deal with it.

The no-excuse approach, which Myers learned in part from a tough football upbringing that included teaching from his uncle, Dennis Kelleher, who played on Miami national championship teams in the late 1980s, and his grandfather, Tom Kelleher, an NFL official for 28 years (1960-87), didn’t slow down us critics.

Myers and his fellow linemen counted more than 20 knockdowns as they opened enough holes for Foster to rumble for a franchise-record 231 yards, the second-most rushing yards for a running back in an NFL season opener.

Myers can’t play much better, but if he is anywhere near this good all season, the Texans’ offensive line will be fun to watch.

When the whistle blew after Foster’s 1-yard touchdown run in the third quarter, the player deepest in the end zone was Colts linebacker Gary Brackett, some 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

He didn’t start there.

Brackett’s repositioning was an involuntary displacement thanks to a textbook block thrown by Myers at the goal line.

On another third-quarter play, Myers and guard Wade Smith lit into Fili Moala at the snap.

After Smith quickly left to go find somebody else to push around, Myers took Moala, a 6-4, 300-pound tackle from USC, on a joy ride. They were six yards downfield when Foster ran past them on his way to an 11-yard gain.

In the fourth quarter Sunday, Myers stepped through a hole to seal it off from any linebacker or safety that might be there. He threw a cut block at safety Antoine Bethea, and though he didn’t drop him, Myers slowed Bethea enough that he never got a finger on Foster. Twenty-five yards. Touchdown. Ballgame.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/7199645.html

Back