Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Just a bit of reality: Our winning games

silvrhand

All Pro
Have all come against losing record teams except for one, the bengals which aren't looking so good of late either.

Sun. 20 @ Titans 12:00 PM W 34-31
Sun. 4 RAIDERS 12:00 PM W 29-6
Sun. 18 @ Bengals 12:00 PM W 28-17
Sun. 25 49ERS 12:00 PM W 24-21
Sun. 1 @ Bills W 31-10
Sun. 13 SEAHAWKS W 34-7
Sun. 20 @ Rams W 16-13
Sun. 27 @ Dolphins W 27-20

So in reality our schedule was much easier this year, and we had more quality wins over real teams last year than we did this year. I don't understand how we can be happy with having an easy schedule and "feeling" like we are turning the corner.

A win is a win but I would have liked to see a win over some of the quality teams we did play this year.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
It is what it is. I don't see how people can look at this and be happy but if they are then so be it. It doesn't really matter what we think of how 2009 went down. 2010 will be a continuation of what we have been doing so it's best to just get yourself a big old 64 oz cup and pour yourself a tall glass of Battle Red Kool-Aid.

Nothing is going to change this year so why keep beating the drum. We all know the Texans didn't beat anybody worth a damn this year. No need to keep repeating it.

silvrhand

All Pro
take a shower man
And what stick my head in the sand like last weeks game was the biggest game of this franchise's history?

Our winning games haven't been good either, but now with our record, and not really looking at any of how we won our games I'm concerned that next year we'll not be any better. We need something that can make this team get some tenacity or something. We can't seem to figure out how to be consistent winners. I'm sorry but to me this is a something that has to come from the top down, owner, GM, coach, players.

WE are part of why those teams have losing records.
don't bring logic into the conversation man, that's just crazy talk to the pessimists. We haven't lost to a bad team, its possible none of our losses will have come to sub .500 teams after this weekend.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
We beat the radiers badly

who then beat philly

Philly could get the NUmber 2 seed in the NFC

Are the radiers really a bad team

DOes a 0-1 Tenn team count has a losing team at the time ??????

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
and who did we beat last year with a winning record ?????

i remember going 0-4 beating some scrub teams

getting killed by Indy balty beating the browns then making a late season run

WE did beat TENN but hey there in our divison and like i said other then teh colts divison games can go either way LOL

Goldensilence

hipster elite
don't bring logic into the conversation man, that's just crazy talk to the pessimists. We haven't lost to a bad team, its possible none of our losses will have come to sub .500 teams after this weekend.
Right. Only to get beat by teams with over .500 records or .500 records. Wonderful. If only our entire season consisted of at or below .500 teams we'd be unbeaten.

we've taken care of business against teams we were clearly better than. We've competed in games against teams that were better than us, and we were a few good breaks away from having a playoff spot wrapped up. People just don't understand variance, we could potentially be as good as 13-2 right now, and I don't see how we could be any worse than 8-7.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
We beat the radiers badly

who then beat philly

Philly could get the NUmber 2 seed in the NFC

Are the radiers really a bad team

DOes a 0-1 Tenn team count has a losing team at the time ??????
The Raiders also beat Pittsburgh and Denver. Miami is no push over either. San Fransisco also beat Arizona.

But what if we beat New England? I'm sure some are going to come on here and say because New England didn't have anything to play for.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
Earlier I heard a Baltimore fan on Sirius telling Pittsburgh fans to be quiet because Pittsburgh was complaining about how Indy rested their players and win over the Jets would've put them in good standing right now. His point was that if you win the games you are supposed to win you will be in a better position for the playoffs. Winning the games we were supposed to win has put us where we are right now - Playing Important Games in the last two weeks of the season.

Would you have felt better if we lost one of those games?

Fred

Veteran
We usually beat teams with losing records and lose to teams with winning records? SHA-ZAM!!! Who would have thought?

People complain we have only beat 1 team with a winning record. Look - if we beat the Titans twice, the Jags twice, and the Jets; but lose to the Bengals then we would be at 11-4 (11-5 after losing to the winning Pats) and we would have zero wins against winning teams. I would be OK with that.

On the other hand, we could have lost to Titans twice, Jags twice, Jets, and Dolphins (keeping the loss to the Bengals) and be 5-11 with no losses to losing teams. So our W or L tips a 6 game spread in this parlor game. We could be 11-5 with no good wins or 5-11 with no bad losses. If you want to be a playoff team you need to rise above the 500 club and beat Jags etc.

Fred

Veteran
Winning the games we were supposed to win has put us where we are right now - Playing Important Games in the last two weeks of the season.

Would you have felt better if we lost one of those games?
No, we should have beaten Jax twice. Then we would have the #5 seed clinched and we would be resting our starters this week.

Would you have felt worse if we won those games?

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
We are 1-5 in our division. That's on Kubiak....and that's why we're not a top 3 team in our conference. Those divisional games MATTER.
Really, all on Kubiak? Sure he affected those games as well, but:

Did Kubiak coach the team not to cover MJD?
Did Kubiak cause the bogus flag on Walter?
Did Kubiak coach veteran Brown to not hold the ball at the goal line?
Did Kubiak coach the refs to not see the Indy player touching the ball while out of bounds?
Did Kubiak coach Kris Brown to miss two field goals in one game?

I'm not absolving Kubiak by any means but there were a lot of things outside of his control that led to 1-5 as well.

HJam72

Hall of Fame
Really, all on Kubiak? Sure he affected those games as well, but:

Did Kubiak coach the team not to cover MJD?
They should've had a legit SS sooner.
Did Kubiak cause the bogus flag on Walter?
This is just one play.
Did Kubiak coach veteran Brown to not hold the ball at the goal line?
Possibly, LOL; but, he had him on the team and in the game.
Did Kubiak coach the refs to not see the Indy player touching the ball while out of bounds?
Again, this is one play, but maybe, LOL.
Did Kubiak coach Kris Brown to miss two field goals in one game?
Brown is still on this team and shouldn't be. Read my sig. I admit I didn't know his percentages were so crappy, but I'm just a fan. A HC should've seen that and replaced him several years ago.

I'm not absolving Kubiak by any means but there were a lot of things outside of his control that led to 1-5 as well.
1-5 is too ridiculously bad for excuses. If we only played our division opponents in the regular season, we'd be having a Dom Caper's last year type season right now. We player non-divisional teams better...and non-conference teams better than that. Seems that teams who played us most often are on to us. Could we have built a team that is it's own division's patsy? It sure looks that way.
Sorry, I didn't feel like cutting your quote into half a dozen little pieces. I just added my answers.

Last edited:

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Winning games that you should win is the first half of what it takes to be successful (ask this year's Steeler's about that). Most teams are not going win more against good team than not, but you need to hold your own and not go 1-6. Splitting places a team in the playoffs feeling like you have a chance against anyone.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
No, we should have beaten Jax twice. Then we would have the #5 seed clinched and we would be resting our starters this week.

Would you have felt worse if we won those games?
After giving up 200 yards rushing a game in the first two games and then having to come play against MJD, I didn't think we should've won that game. Then after losing 3 in a row and seeing our playoffs hopes dim, plus our starting QB playing with injury and still not having a running game, I didn't think it would be an easy win. With the odds against us and playing a division foe on the road, nah I really didn't think we were going to win.

Being a real fan, of course I wouldn't have felt worse. It would've made life more easy but we are who are record says we are and that's on the outside looking in. The reason why we still have a chance though is because we beat the majority of who we should've beat.

The fact that we could've beat some of the teams we lost to is still reason to hope for a spot in the playoffs.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Last year, a team went 11-5 & didn't get into the play-offs. Indianapolis finished with 12 wins, & didn't win the division. & truth be told if the conference played like it has this year, we would have been, "playing for a play-off spot this late in the season" last year.

Not really, since there was no way we could be any better than 8-8 the final week of the year. But from week 12 through week 16, we would have been "contending"

So making the play-offs has a lot more to do with what the other teams around the league are doing. Unless you thought the Texans were going to win 11 games, "play-offs or bust" just wasn't very reasonable

Last year, we had 2 Pro Bowl performers on the field. OD, & AJ. This year, we should be able to add Matt Schaub. The only way he doesn't get to the Pro Bowl is if he gets robbed.

Defensivley we were a joke..

Our offensive numbers have improved, despite a lack of a run game, & our defense is playing really good football.

I don't understand how anyone cannot see the improvement on this team.

I understand the W-L is an issue. I understand Kubiak is part of that issue. But I think he's done such a good job overall, that we are headed in the right direction, & I want to continue to go in that direction.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Last year, a team went 11-5 & didn't get into the play-offs. Indianapolis finished with 12 wins, & didn't win the division. & truth be told if the conference played like it has this year, we would have been, "playing for a play-off spot this late in the season" last year.

Not really, since there was no way we could be any better than 8-8 the final week of the year. But from week 12 through week 16, we would have been "contending"

So making the play-offs has a lot more to do with what the other teams around the league are doing. Unless you thought the Texans were going to win 11 games, "play-offs or bust" just wasn't very reasonable

Last year, we had 2 Pro Bowl performers on the field. OD, & AJ. This year, we should be able to add Matt Schaub. The only way he doesn't get to the Pro Bowl is if he gets robbed.

Our offensive numbers have improved, despite a lack of a run game, & our defense is playing really good football.

I understand the W-L is an issue. I understand Kubiak is part of that issue. But I think he's done such a good job overall, that we are headed in the right direction, & I want to continue to go in that direction.
Mario

silvrhand

All Pro
That's my problem I continue to see coaching issues that make me think we aren't going to get any better next year. We lack tenacity and toughness which I think you have to have to be a contender.

I dunno I feel we let this year slip away cause of players not making plays, and coaches not reluctant to go to their go to guys.

spurstexanstros

Texans Rising
Have all come against losing record teams except for one, the bengals which aren't looking so good of late either.

Sun. 20 @ Titans 12:00 PM W 34-31
Sun. 4 RAIDERS 12:00 PM W 29-6
Sun. 18 @ Bengals 12:00 PM W 28-17
Sun. 25 49ERS 12:00 PM W 24-21
Sun. 1 @ Bills W 31-10
Sun. 13 SEAHAWKS W 34-7
Sun. 20 @ Rams W 16-13
Sun. 27 @ Dolphins W 27-20

So in reality our schedule was much easier this year, and we had more quality wins over real teams last year than we did this year. I don't understand how we can be happy with having an easy schedule and "feeling" like we are turning the corner.

A win is a win but I would have liked to see a win over some of the quality teams we did play this year.
Hmmmmmm I wonder if this thread would have been posted in the Capers era...you remember when we just celebrated wins period.....back when wins were few and far between.

Heck I remember the good ole days to the legendary Vinny begging for win streaks in his annual "its time for a #$@$#$# win streak thread"

Now we are discussing the quality of wins and whining about how they should have come against better opponents... it seems like our expecatations have changed...

My question is why does the head coach and GM not get any credit for us not having a loosing season in three years but instead get cries for their heads on a platter....it is all absurd.

Fred

Veteran
After giving up 200 yards rushing a game in the first two games and then having to come play against MJD, I didn't think we should've won that game. Then after losing 3 in a row and seeing our playoffs hopes dim, plus our starting QB playing with injury and still not having a running game, I didn't think it would be an easy win. With the odds against us and playing a division foe on the road, nah I really didn't think we were going to win.

Being a real fan, of course I wouldn't have felt worse. It would've made life more easy but we are who are record says we are and that's on the outside looking in. The reason why we still have a chance though is because we beat the majority of who we should've beat.

The fact that we could've beat some of the teams we lost to is still reason to hope for a spot in the playoffs.
Other than the games against us, Jax is a 5-8 team (would be 5-10 if we beat them). If you don't think we should beat a team that is 5-8 against the rest of league then you think the Texans are a pretty sorry lot.

... making the play-offs has a lot more to do with what the other teams around the league are doing. Unless you thought the Texans were going to win 11 games, "play-offs or bust" just wasn't very reasonable

The problem people have with Kubiak is that they DO see the improvement on this team. The offense is better, the defense is better (due in part to - a coaching change).

But when the team is not prepared to play, gets a lot of stupid penalties, runs idiotic play calls, constantly fumbles, can't convert first downs inside the 5 into TDs, can't ever make the plays to win the game late, can't play consistent for more than 28 minutes a game - people refer to that as "bad coaching". I know some say "did Kubiak tell Brown to fumble?" well no (although it sure looked like he was under orders to throw a interception) and if it happens once or twice it's on the player. When you (seemingly) lead the league in all these inept categories it's on the coach.

We can see that the team is good enough that with only average ineptness they would be 11-5 or better. The fact that we DO see the improvement is WHY we are frustrated with Kubiak. Of course, there is a good argument that he had a hand in bringing in the players responsible for the improvement. I'd be happy to keep him in the front office as Rick Smith's assistant. I want to go in the direction of the team living up to it's potential instead of having a coach holding them back.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
Hmmmmmm I wonder if this thread would have been posted in the Capers era...you remember when we just celebrated wins period.....back when wins were few and far between.

Heck I remember the good ole days to the legendary Vinny begging for win streaks in his annual "its time for a #$@$#$# win streak thread"

Now we are discussing the quality of wins and whining about how they should have come against better opponents... it seems like our expecatations have changed...

My question is why does the head coach and GM not get any credit for us not having a loosing season in three years but instead get cries for their heads on a platter....it is all absurd.
As long as we keep comparing ourselves to the suckitude of the Capers
Era, we'll never get to "Championship Caliber."

In the NFL, you don't win Superbowls by "accident." You either consider
yourself elite, or you go home. Let's take a look at our Texans since Kubiak
got here, and see where our expectations have been set.

2006 Season:
Record: 6-10
Outlook: Whew. At least we don't suck as bad as the Capers/Casserly
era. We even beat the Colts on Christmas Eve! Whoopie-doo!!!

2007 Season:
Record: 8-8
Outlook: Lookie here!! Our first NON-LOSING SEASON!! Whoo hoo! We'll
get 'em next year!

2008 Season:
Outlook: That darn hurricane derailed our season. But we're a BETTER 8-8
team than we were LAST YEAR!! Look out 2009!!

.....and so on, so forth.
2009 is looking like another exciting 8-8 year!

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
As long as we keep comparing ourselves to the suckitude of the Capers
Era, we'll never get to "Championship Caliber."

In the NFL, you don't win Superbowls by "accident." You either consider
yourself elite, or you go home. Let's take a look at our Texans since Kubiak
got here, and see where our expectations have been set.

2006 Season:
Record: 6-10
Outlook: Whew. At least we don't suck as bad as the Capers/Casserly
era. We even beat the Colts on Christmas Eve! Whoopie-doo!!!

2007 Season:
Outlook: Lookie here!! Our first NON-LOSING SEASON!! Whoo hoo! We'll
get 'em next year!

2008 Season:
Outlook: That darn hurricane derailed our season. But we're a BETTER 8-8
team than we were LAST YEAR!! Look out 2009!!

.....and so on, so forth.
2009 is looking like another exciting 8-8 year!

On a night we send three starters to the pro bowl, and three alternates, and are still in the fight for a playoff spot, your pessimism is wearing thin.

tex-sky

Practice Squad
Dec 28, 2009 ... Finale gives Texans shot at first winning season, playoff berth ... The Texans lost those four games by an average of 4.75 points. ... NFL Network schedule. The defense continues its improvement after ranking near the ...

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
On a night we send three starters to the pro bowl, and three alternates, and are still in the fight for a playoff spot, your pessimism is wearing thin.
I'm no pessimist. Just looking to wake up from Groundhog's Day.
I love the Texans, and our low standards are wearing thin on ME.

I'll still be there, rootin' my head off. Hoping, dreaming, wishing for a
day in which we won't SETTLE for mediocrity, and STRIVE for greatness.

It took the Rockets a couple decades to figure that out, but the Texans
and 'Stros are still far behind.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I'm no pessimist. Just looking to wake up from Groundhog's Day.
I love the Texans, and our low standards are wearing thin on ME.

I'll still be there, rootin' my head off. Hoping, dreaming, wishing for a
day in which we won't SETTLE for mediocrity, and STRIVE for greatness.

It took the Rockets a couple decades to figure that out, but the Texans
and 'Stros are still far behind.
We are all wishing for greatness. I don't think we have low standards, I just think our standards are misplaced.

:logo:

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
We are all wishing for greatness. I don't think we have low standards, I just think our standards are misplaced.

:logo:
I'll take your advice, and work towards placing them (expectations) on the bottom rung
like the rest of ya.

GO TEXANS!!

bckey

All Pro
I'm happy about the probowlers but fighting for a playoff spot is kind of strong words. How about keystone copping our way to the playoffs. And hoping we play the Patriots 2nd string and other teams lose. That isn't really battling. The battles were fought and lost in those 4 division games we blew.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I'm happy about the probowlers but fighting for a playoff spot is kind of strong words. How about keystone copping our way to the playoffs. And hoping we play the Patriots 2nd string and other teams lose. That isn't really battling. The battles were fought and lost in those 4 division games we blew.
Jacksonville and the Tacks are out for the season and we're not. But hey, who's counting?

THE TEXANS! :texflag:

yea no one seems to want to comment on the fact that we are 7-2 outside of our division, which is 3rd in league, behind 2 teams I think you can all figure out for yourself.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
yea no one seems to want to comment on the fact that we are 7-2 outside of our division, which is 3rd in league, behind 2 teams I think you can all figure out for yourself.
I think that's exactly why so many soapers are so pissed off. We're
7-2 OUT of our division, but it's nothing new. Here are our
"Out-of-our Division" records since Kubiak has been here.

2006: 3-7 (3-3 in the division)

2007: 7-3 (1-5 in the division)

2008: 6-4 (2-4 in the division)

CURRENT: 7-2 (1-5 in the division)

So, when you put these numbers into perspective, we're getting
a three-peat of the same thing. We haven't moved forward in 3 seasons.
We are still the doormat of the AFC South, and Sunday we play the
team who destroyed the team that swept us. All this work, because
we came out on opening day with our pants down to a rookie coach
and a rookie quarterback and now THEY hold the tiebreaker over US!

....I'd better stop before my blood gets to boiling again.

silvrhand

All Pro
Four Houston Texans were named to the 2010 AFC/NFC Pro Bowl, the NFL announced today. Houston will send rookie linebacker Brian Cushing, wide receiver Andre Johnson, linebacker DeMeco Ryans and defensive end Mario Williams to South Florida for the league's feature of the best players on Sunday, Jan. 31, 2010. Johnson is the only starter.

Where did you get 3 starters and 3 alternatives?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Four Houston Texans were named to the 2010 AFC/NFC Pro Bowl, the NFL announced today. Houston will send rookie linebacker Brian Cushing, wide receiver Andre Johnson, linebacker DeMeco Ryans and defensive end Mario Williams to South Florida for the league's feature of the best players on Sunday, Jan. 31, 2010. Johnson is the only starter.

Where did you get 3 starters and 3 alternatives?
From misreading, I guess. I just watched NFLN and the four that were selected are alternates, not starters. Oops.

But the intent of my post is still the same. Those four will go, and I believe I read there are 3 alternates that might go depending on which team goes to the Super Bowl. Please correct me on that if I'm not right.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
From misreading, I guess. I just watched NFLN and the four that were selected are alternates, not starters. Oops.

But the intent of my post is still the same. Those four will go, and I believe I read there are 3 alternates that might go depending on which team goes to the Super Bowl. Please correct me on that if I'm not right.
Going to Pro Bowl:
AJ - Starter
Cushing - Sub
D-Ryans - Sub
Mario - Sub

Not going unless they are needed as players drop out:
Schaub - Alternate
Leach - Alternate
Jacoby - Alternate

:)

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
Other than the games against us, Jax is a 5-8 team (would be 5-10 if we beat them). If you don't think we should beat a team that is 5-8 against the rest of league then you think the Texans are a pretty sorry lot.
At that time, yes. They were giving up 200 yards per game on the ground. If it makes you feel better I thought they could win that game at the beginning of the season but that changed when we started giving up all those yards on defense.

The second time around, we were coming off a 3 game losing streak and going on the road to a, at the time, hot division rival. The last 3 games were heartbrakers and we were only averaging 17 points in the two weeks prior to that game. Yes I thought they would lose that game.

I'm talking circumstances here. They were really playing towards us not winning in those two times. Could we have won those games, yes but the same could be said about our losses to Indy, and Az.

I don't count any division rival game as a should win. You are crazy if you do that. Indy doesn't even do that. These teams see each other twice a year.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

To make sure we are on the same page, you are saying this is indisputable proof that no progress has been made on this team, & that Kubiak is a bad coach..... is that right?

Surely, if a coach can't show discernable improvement in the division record in 4 years, then it's time for him to go?

Sounds like a good point, so I decided to do some looking.

As an aside, in the last 4 years, only 3 teams have consistently (a big buzz word around here) gone to the play-offs. The Colts, The Chargers (they went one year at 8-8) & the Patriots. The Colts & Chargers have gone 4 out of the last 4 years. The Patriots of course screwed up last season by not being prepared for 2 of their 4 division games..... must be a sorry coach.

But any way.

The Broncos have been 3-3 in that division for 2006, 2007, & 2008. Of course that coach needed to be fired. However I was shocked, & find it interesting that he is in high demand. It's also possible that they will be 3-3 this season, so even though everyone is thinking this team is greatly improved, their division record tells us that truthfully, they are the same pathetic franchise they have been for the last three years, coaching change not withstanding. Their 9-7 (missing the play-offs) of 2006, 7-9 of 2007, 8-8 of 2008, and possible 8-8 of 2009 also says that team is not improved, regardless whay your eyes tell you when you watch them play.

Remember, the premise here is that divisional record is an accurate guage of coaching success, & a steady incline means you've got a great coach, and anything else means you have a bad coach.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Jets were 4-2 in 2006, they made the play-offs. They were 2-4 in 2007, 4-2 in 2008, & they are currently 2-4 in 2009. Obviously Mangini was a bad coach and deserved to be fired. Starting 4-2, then regressing to 2-4, then only getting the team back to where they started in 2006 of 4-2, missing the play-offs with a 9-7 record in 2008. & Obviously the coaching change set the team back, since they went 2-4 in their division this year. Nevermind that, that looks like a good team, the division record tells you everything you need to know about the coach.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Baltimore Ravens were 5-1 in 2006, 1-5 in 2007, which obviously led to the firing of their coach. He must have lost all the coaching ability that had everyone calling him a guru only a few years back. The new coach immediately improved that franchise going 4-2 in 2008, but he must have lost something in 2009, finishing 3-3 in his division games. The only thing that matters, the W-L column also suffered, & they are out of the wildcard hunt today. Obvious proof that this coach is not the right man for the job.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Jaguars were 2-4 in 2006, 2-4 in 2007, 2-4 in 2008, & 3-3 in 2009... what's this telling us? Does this coach also need to lose his job? is he not getting it done? The only year they went to the play-offs in the last 4 years they were 2-4. But their division record (the sole/main reason to decide whether you fire your coach or not) shows they haven't got any better or worse over the last 4 years.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Mangini was thought to be a genius his first year with the Jets & he went 2-4 his second year. Shanahan had the Broncos 3-3 for 3 years straight, showing no obvious improvement after years of coaching success. But every body can look at that team & they can tell you they are better than they were last year, even though they could possibly post the same 3-3 divisional record.

I don't know how long Del Rio has been in Jacksonville, but over the last 4 years, he has been 2-4 in his division, even the year they went to the play-offs. With your line of thinking, that team was no better than the 2009 team, or the 2006 team, even though you can watch them play & see they were better one year than the next, or that they were actually a good team for most of those years.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
My point is not that these numbers are meaningless, only that you have to take several other things into account when looking at them. The teams that have consistently made it to the play-offs over the last 4 years are mature teams. They've got guys that have been playing longer than we've had a franchise. They have several guys that have been playing on their teams longer than we've had a franchise, and most of the guys on those teams have been playing with each other longer than Gary Kubiak has been in Houston.

But you're expecting Kubiak to do something seasoned coaches haven't been able to do. Cowher in his tenure with the Steelers posted a 3-3 divisional record after many, many years coaching (successfully??) that same franchise.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
I think that's exactly why so many soapers are so pissed off. We're
7-2 OUT of our division, but it's nothing new. Here are our
"Out-of-our Division" records since Kubiak has been here.

These numbers simply illustrate how consistently sucking in our own division
kills a team's ability to make the playoffs. Asking a coach to win 9 games
in one of his four seasons isn't too much. Making the playoffs at least
once in four years, again, isn't asking for the world. 3-3 in your division
is being COMPETITIVE. Baltimore finishing 5-1 in THEIR division at least
ONCE in four years, is far more than Kubiak has accomplished.

I'm not judging Kubiak on a one-year contingency. I'm judging him
on how little he's done with the talent that continues to improve in
each of his four seasons. Increase in talent SHOULD equal forward
progress in the win/loss column. What we have seen this year, is that
our talent is CLEARLY enough to compete for the division. You don't
go up 17 on the Colts without adequate talent. You don't put 27 unanswered
points on the board AT Miami without adequate talent.

On a pure coaching level, Kubiak has FAILED for the last 3 years. He's
made personnel+playcalling decisions that has cost this team wins. Four
years is enough time to ask for a winning season. Four years is enough
time for a coach to install his system, and garner enough discipline for
his team to play a full game. No team in the league, other than the
Texans, can go up by 27 points and still find a way to lose it. You shouldn't
rely on luck to win with a margin that large, yet they got two penalty calls
to go their way to ice the game for them.

The Jets DESTROYED a woefully prepared team on OPENING DAY, the same
way the STEELERS did the YEAR BEFORE. Now, that same Jets team holds
that tiebreaker over the team they destroyed.. US. Look at how far we've
come. We were an also-ran scrub franchise, and now, we'll be watching
Sunday Night Football praying Marvin Lewis doesn't rest his starters!

That's progress for a team comparing itself to the bottom, but in the big
picture, it ain't ****. Let's start moving forward by comparing our progress
to the best teams in the league. Only then will we achieve the marked
improvement we all seek.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Let's start moving forward by comparing our progress
to the best teams in the league. Only then will we achieve the marked
improvement we all seek.
We went up 17 points on the Colts & lost that game because of several turnovers & questionable calls by the referees.

If we compare ourselves to the Colts, we are as talented as they are, & more talented in other areas.

But let's not compare this franchise to teams that have been playing together longer than we've been in existence.

Only 3 players on this team have been together longer than 4 years. The Kicker, THE wide Receiver, & a Cornerback.