June 1st

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HoustonTexansAreTheBest, May 31, 2004.

1. HoustonTexansAreTheBest

HoustonTexansAreTheBest Veteran

June 1st will come and go tommorow. My question is, do you think Texans will sign anyone?

I just read that Kenyatta Walker from the Bucs may be released. I wouldn't mind giving him a chance, you can never have enough quality OLine on one team. Plus, Walker is only 25, still quite young. :twocents:

D-ReK likes this.
  2. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

3. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

i would love to see trotter in a texans uniform, but i doubt it will happen...cc said if we signed anyone, it would be back-up, so i'm not expecting a big signing...if we do, great...

4. HoustonTexansAreTheBest

HoustonTexansAreTheBest Veteran

I read that same article Fiddy. In that article, it says Trotter only has one year left in him. I don't know where K Walker could play, maybe a backup. Maybe if Wand doesn't pan out, Walker can step up and play at either tackle position. Not sure.

5. Genuine

Genuine Rookie

I highly doubt Kenyatta Walker will be released.
    Like I said before, he is still in his rookie contract and wouldn't save Tampa enough money to give up on him so soon. They got more expensive guys with less of an upside.

D-ReK likes this.
  6. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Some local (St. Pete) insight into Walker's situation. http://www.sptimes.com/2004/04/28/Bucs/Walker_top_bet_for_Ju.shtml
    Sounds like there may be more than cap hit at issue.

I highly doubt the Texans do any more in free agency. They are up against the cap themselves at only $4.4 under per Clayton (and that's top 51 players - not including the ~500k for the 52nd and 53rd player. If I recall, their rookie pool is in the neighborhood of 4 million so they will be using most of their existing cap space to sign the rooks and leave a little margin for IR and practice squad players during the season.

D-ReK likes this.
  7. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Yeah he could be, but when you have Troy Evans backing up Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman you need help in some way and Trotter could be that help.

D-ReK likes this.
  8. Caw Daddy

Caw Daddy Rookie

Pick Up A Db/lb/dl

D-ReK likes this.

9. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

well i'm sure the one spot casserly will look at the most is d-line...i think we might pick up one quality back-up at the NT position other than that i don't see us making a serious run at anyone...san diego on the other hand needs all the help they can get

D-ReK likes this.
  10. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Even if Trotter would accept a backup role, he might only be able to service as a backup for a year or so. That's not much help for the price you'd have to pay to get him. Don't underestimate Evans as a backup. Granted hes not as flashy or talented as Trotter, but he does have experience in the system and he's a tough hard nosed player. Don't get me wrong, I'd like more depth at LB too, but I don't think picking up a guy out of desperation is the way to go about it. The June 1st cuts have provided slim pickings at best the past couple years since teams have gotten better accustomed to the whole salary cap/dead money situation. The only crucial acquistion made by a team thanks to the June 1 cuts over the past few years I can think of is the Keenan McCardell to Tampa Bay deal. They went on to win the SB that year. The bottom line is I'd take a tough hard nosed player who'll give me all he has no matter what role he plays over a guy with a 'I gotta start or I won't play' mentality. Not a knock on Trotter, but with Evans you already know what you're getting.

D-ReK likes this.
  11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

My thing is, who do we believe will be a June 1st casualty from our team?

12. J-Man

J-Man Veteran

I was somewhat intrested in Trotter a couple weeks ago, but I honestly do not see us paying top FA dollars to add at best a B+ LB to our already deep group. I think that Evans is an OK back up and he is a excellent ST player.

If Foreman was clearly a hole in our defense (much like Matt Stevens was) then I would be the 1st to line up on the New Linebacker Bandwagon...but, Foreman is solid, he is blue collar and holds up his end so I don't have too many issues with him.

13. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

I know with the recent salary cap dumps, some can get a little pumped up to see whom we can add to our already elustrious team. But fans, PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, FORGET ABOUT "Chasin'" Jason Gildon. The guy is way over the hill. With the Steelers he truely only had two productive seasons, and is horrible in pass coverage. Last season, he was benched occaisionally for this seasons starter, Clark Haggans, who visited the Texans last season. (I thought he would have been a great pick up last season, and not going with out of shape Charlie Clemons!!!) The Texans would be better off picking up Trotter, beefing up the middle with a harder hitting MLB than Foreman. Gildon didn't get his nickname for making tackles, he was chasing running backs down the field..........and was way behind them!

14. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

Was Clemons a 2 time pro-bowler. He is 27, and I think he has at least 4 more quality years left in the tank. He may end up being a Clemons, but I really dont think so. I wouldnt mind signing him or Marcus Bell. Gildon may be a bit too old.

15. texansalltheway

texansalltheway Rookie

What about these guys to come in to back up NG. They were just cut by Ariz.

Marcus Bell DT
    Height: 6-2
    Weight: 323
    Born: 06/01/1979
    College: Memphis
    NFL Experience: 4

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks
    2001 Ari 13 23 16.0 7 0.5
    2002 Ari 16 34 25.0 9 2
    2003 Ari 13 23 21.0 2 1

Barron Tanner DT
    Height: 6-3
    Weight: 347
    Born: 09/14/1973
    College: Oklahoma
    NFL Experience: 7

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks
    1997 Mia 16 22 16.0 6
    1998 Mia 13 9 5.0 4
    1999 Wash 0 0 0.0 0
    2000 Ariz 4 5 5.0 0 0
    2001 Ariz 16 37 24.0 13 0
    2002 Ariz 15 25 16.0 9 2
    2003 Ariz 14 17 13.0 4 1

16. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

I have a thread about Bell but the other dude is kinda old, thats why I didnt say anything about him, I think Bell would be a perfect backup, he has the perfect size for a 3-4 NT.

17. texansalltheway

texansalltheway Rookie

Sorry, just read your other post after i posted, good thread. Tanner is old but he is still only 31 . We can probably get him for less money than Bell, since we don't have a lot of cap space. Plus he is massive, 6'3" 347. All we need is a cheap experienced back-up.

18. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

True he is huge, I wouldnt mind signing either

19. J-Man

J-Man Veteran

Brock Lesner of WWE fame is trying to catch on with a team...maybe we can get that sumo guy Rakishi to come out for us. He's big enough to be a NT!!
    :rofl:

20. texansalltheway

texansalltheway Rookie

Interesting article about Brock

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/4802803.html