June 1 Cuts?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheOgre, May 5, 2006.

1. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Who will we cut after June 1st? Payne and/or Wade? Someone else? How much dead money is that for 2006 and 2007?

Is there anyone we target that is a likely June 1 casualty? Hopefully a decent CB or FS is out there for us.

2. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    Wade more likely than Payne. I think Payne will be kep on especially now that we have cut 2 DT's.

Wong is another possible cut.

Well Ty Law is still out there - but he is asking for a load of cash. He may have to lower his asking price.

3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I'm not sure if you see the big name guys go June 1st. Guys like Wong and Payne are supposed to be here to provide competition.

If these dudes are gone I think it will be later in camp.

4. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I wouldn't be surprised to lose any of the following players come June 1:
    Todd Wade (5.2 million)
    Seth Payne (4.2 million)
    Zach Wiegart (4.2 million)
    Morlon Greenwood (3.9 million)
    Kailee Wong (3.2 million)
    Jason Babin (1.3 million)
    Demarcus Faggins (1.3 million)
    Mark Bruener (1.0 million)
    Bennie Joppru (900k)

After that the salaries sorta drop, and so it doesn't make as much impact

PS: Im not sure what the cap hits would be for those guys granted their huge bonuses, so it may not be feasible to cut them all this year

5. Trapped

Trapped Veteran

Wade, Payne, Wong, and Weigert are in jeopardy to lose their jobs this year. Those are 4 players that are in our top 10 paid and they are not even slated to start.

That's pretty much me stating the obvious.

6. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Its hard to keep your job if don't produce for a 2-14 team and make a lot of money .

7. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

ROFL.. cutting Babin. Why dont we cut Carr now too... Make sense about as much as cutting Babin

8. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

This has actually been brought up recently, due to the draft of Williams. Depending on Peeks situation, we may have Williams, Weaver, kalu, Peek, Babin all making pretty decent money for 2 DE positions.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I think that Wade, Wong, Kris Brown and either Bruenner or Joppru will be the big contracts that could possibly be gone.

10. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

I dont think that Wong will be cut unless he can't play with his injury. Too much veteran leadership.

11. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

In a 4-3 5 DE isnt really that many. It allows you to keep your guys fresh throughout the game. Besides, on passing downs, or for situations with mobile QBs (VY) Weaver and WIlliams will move inside to DT and Babin Peek or Kalu will take the DE spot.

12. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

I don't see these guys getting canned as June 1 drops. The question is who on this list is not first/second string potential because that is what Kubiak and the organization is going to be asking, and I think all these guys are good second stringers at worst.

I can't see Joppru or Babin going based on cash alone. They're just too cheap. Now, if Joppru gets re-injured, he'll be tossed. Wade is very expensive for a back-up, but if I remember correctly, his cap-hit goes down significantly after this season. Wong has given us good (not great) output, so I doubt he is gone unless the injury has an effect. Weigert is the starting RT in the line's depth chart, so he is a lock to stay at this point. Breuner might be gone, but that will depend on how well Joppru comes along.

13. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

i hope wong isnt cut. i also would hate to see seth payne cut. he and robaire smith were arguably our best d-lineman last season. todd wade proly gets cut. morlon greenwood may get cut bc of the signing of cowart and drafting of demeco ryans.

14. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

15. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

This has been brought up by the people here and has no credibility what so ever. No one else. All 5 will probably stay providing DE and DT backup and tweeners. Babin aint going anywhere.. and unless K says it.. you can pretty much bet he will be with us for quite a while.

16. dwilt72

dwilt72 Veteran

How in the world do you cut Faggins? We don't have any decent CB's as is. I also doubt Babin would go. I think they'll give him a chance to play DE first. We are also thin at DT so unless we pick up some more DL's I doubt if Payne is going anywhere.

17. Scooter

Scooter Funky

until we see the results of the 4-3 switch (in which i'm sure smith will return to the dominance he had with tennessee), payne is our most productive defensive tackle. he's not going anywhere. travis johnson, while more suited for the A gap, got consistantly desicrated by right tackles and looked utterly pathetic IMO. as of right now, travis is NOT a starter. the only drop that i see is todd wade, he is not part of this system. if pittsburgh or a "mauling" run only team were looking for a right tackle, he'd be a great fit, but he has no business here. as oso eluded to though, if we can afford it, it'd probably be easier to hold onto wade for one more season as depth to ease the cap hit.

everyone in our secondary is staying. weigert will be here for atleast the transition (although it'd be a solid savings by releasing him). babin's going nowhere, i fully expect him to put on 5-10lbs and become a starter opposite williams. bruener is questionable, but i expect him to stay & retire at the end of the season (i think he'll be #3 on the chart, more as an offensive tackle who's eligable as a receiver on short yardage situations). wong & greenwood are starters. joppru's nickname should be "cat" since he apparently has 9 lives, or seemingly that many years to try to get healthy and play a down. even if joppru survives the offseason, i dont think coach will give him anything further than the practice squad.

incase i havent made it clear in previous posts, babin is 10X the DE that peek is. peek is too small and has too many holes in his game to be a consistant on any team, if we can get value by trading him, i'm all for it. shantee orr is better in his role as a tweener already. with the release of deloach & ioane, i think we'll see weaver moving inside pretty often and babin taking the starting DE role opposite mario. orr & peek are tweeners, babin's a DE ... he'll be our osi, or mathis, or kearse, or whichever lighter pass rusher you want to affiliate with. orr is going to come in on passing & blitz situations.

18. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

Why exactly would you cut Brown?...a reliable kicker (barring a couple of games this past year) who we just signed to an extension in the offseason. Doubt it.

19. Erratic Assassin

Erratic Assassin All Pro

It makes me sick to read this list and see what we paid for some of these guys.

20. wicked_wayz

wicked_wayz all blacks

yeah i agree....cutting babin is damn wrong, if they cut him they mite as wel cut david carr....