Joseph gets to know DBs through film study

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, May 26, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

By Nick Scurfield

2. Rey

Rey Guest

Yeah I definitely think these defensive coaches are indirectly talking to the players.

3. JimBaker488

JimBaker488 Veteran

I'm not sure why they'd need to in a forum like this when they surely have
    ample opportunity to communicate with their players thru personal intermediaries ?

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Is this the same DB group that made every QB not named Rusty Smith look like an all-pro?

The proof will be in the pudding. But Joseph is now a true part of BoB's org. Spin-Spin-Spin

Even if the tape tells you differently.

5. Rey

Rey Guest

It's just my opinion.

I have no clue what exactly they are doing.

6. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Shoot, they're probably communicating through Skype.

7. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

Wasnt that a pretty big debate last year though? Are the corners that bad or was it just really shitty coaching?

8. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

Is it just me or are the coaches more excited about getting Keo in to camp than Harris and Roc? I get that he's an effort kind of guy but that doesn't fully justify the plethora of optimism they've shown for a 5th rounder (like that SAT word?). I wonder if it's their confidence in the way he'll fit in the system or do they think that they saw something on film that other teams overlooked. Either way I'll be watching for him come Sundays.

9. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

From one scouting report I read on Keo, he's a guy that could have been drafted anywhere in the draft: from the 2nd or 3rd round to the 7th. But wherever he was drafted, he was going to come in, immediately impact and be a fan/coach's favorite. And the 31 teams that passed on him would really really regret it.

I like hearing this stuff from the coaches, about our current players. Joseph gives us some great insights into our guys' strengths and weaknesses. I'm really really excited about how our team is shaping up and just as excited about the kind of coaches we have: Phillips, Joseph and Herring. I think our players will actually start learning and developing for a change!! Give us a veteran CB and this secondary really excites me. Everyone chant "Nnamdi, Nnamdi, Nnamdi"

10. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Translation: Thank God this kid had some good college coaching or else I'd have a big disaster to fix after his previous NFL coach did a horrible job.

11. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I'm really, really hoping his positivity on McCain was just PR bs and not genuine affection or I'm not going to be a happy fan next year.

12. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Sounds like he's first and foremost pretty high on Jason Allen, Kareem Jackson and the rookie Brandon Harris. I'm still holding out hope for a veteran free agent to come in and take the #1 spot. After that, I view the talk about the other CBs with the idea of where they are on the depth chart... that being Carmichael, McCain, McMannis, etc - I'm pretty excited about those guys' skillset and their potential. That's exactly what you want in your #4-6 CBs!!!!

As guys that would see SIGNIFICANT playing time on defense this season... I agree with you, not. good. lol

13. Rey

Rey Guest

All he said was that he was fast and that he had good man technique. Those are both true statements. I'm pretty sure he saw flaws in all if their games but I didn't expect him to actually rip them apart in the press.

McCain has some tools to work with. But unless he takes a jump from the way he played last year don't expect to see him get a whole lot if tick.

14. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

Cornerback Jason Allen, a six-year veteran, is the Texans’ most experienced defensive back. He had six interceptions last season, including three with the Texans after he was released by the Dolphins.

“He made some plays last year,” Joseph said. “That guy does some things that make you really, really excited. I’m looking forward to him playing corner for an entire training camp. Because his entire career, he’s been in between safety and corner, safety and corner. I want to see him play corner and see how good he can be. He was a first-round pick out of college, so somebody saw something in the guy. He can play. He just needs more corner reps. He’s got long arms, he’s tall, he can run. So we’ll see.”

Thats what i'm talking about. I like this guy already. J. Allen better be starting along with whatever big name FA we pick up. :texflag:

15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

That's what he needs...........and the way things are going no one is going to have training camp to show what they really might be able to do with some good instruction.

16. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

17. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Not directly of course, becuase that would be against the rules.

Now, if the coaches happened to be sitting in a room talking about various plays and formations and let's just say their skpe account just happened to be on and lets say someone happened to get into that conservation and let's say players happened to see it, that would not be against the rules.

18. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

LOL. I'm sure it's probably something like that.

As for Joseph, I don't know how much confidence I have in him. I remember all the positive press for David Gibbs when he became our secondary coach a few years ago, and we all know how that turned out.

19. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

It might be a good thing that our new coaches have to learn their players by watching game and practice film. They can form an opinion about a players strengths and weaknesses without personalities getting in the way. I'm all for players that work hard and try their asses off, but I don't want them starting because of work ethic. I want them starting because they are the best we have on the time.

20. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I hear you, but I think the difference is that Wade Phillips is a proven Defensive Coordinator. In comparison Frank Bush was a first time D Coordinator and Richard Smith was not a previously successful one. The absolute worst defense he had as a Defensive Coordinator is probably better than the best one we have ever had. I trust his judgment in terms of specific coaches he needs to teach his basic philosophy. If Wade thinks Joseph is his guy, then I will go with that until proven otherwise on the field of play.