Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jones turns up JUGS machine after working with Yates

srrono

All Pro
Jones turns up JUGS machine after working with Yates
Posted by Nick Scurfield on December 2, 2011 – 4:57 pm

Texans players have talked all week about rookie quarterback T.J. Yates’ poise. One topic that hasn’t come up much is his arm strength.

All-Pro wide receiver Andre Johnson worked with Yates for a few weeks while rehabbing from a hamstring injury. The Texans’ third quarterback at the time, Yates was Johnson’s throwing partner as he trained on a side field during practice.

“He has a strong arm,” Johnson said on Friday. “He throws the ball… he has a little bit more zip on it. I’ve been able to catch some balls from him when I was injured or whatever. It’s a little different, but at the same time, that’s what practice is for. You see guys catching balls from him during practice when the defense are doing drills and stuff like that. We’re ready to go.”

Wide receiver Jacoby Jones works on his hands after every practice by catching footballs from a JUGS machine. He typically sets it to launch passes at him at 30-35 miles per hour.

Jones said he had to ramp up the speed after working with Yates.

“He’s got a – this week, let me tell you this,” Jones said. “I had to put the JUGS machine on 45, 40, because that stuff’s coming out hot. It’s coming out a little faster.”

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2011/12/02/jones-turns-up-jugs-machine-after-working-with-yates/

Some of us thought his balls had more zip than Leinart (and NO I'm not starting an argument, just making an observation) and said as much during the gameday thread.

Good to know we weren't hallucinating.
:fans:

I always heard the Broncos WR's put the jugs machine at 65 because thats how fast Elway could throw a football when he was playing.

I don't think any of us are worried about Yates arm. Many people are very good shooting at targets but if the "target" shoots back, things change.

Interesting, a lot of scouting reports were critical of his arm strength. Maybe Kubes and Knapp have stepped his game up some.

Im not at all worried about his arm strength , Im worried about his decision making and defenses disguising coverages inducing poor decisions that become INT's.

Interesting, a lot of scouting reports were critical of his arm strength. Maybe Kubes and Knapp have stepped his game up some.

What they weren't critical was his "touch" on a fade route.
Here's an insert (ProFootballWeekly Draft profile)from a recent article about Yates (definitely worth reading in entirety):

From PFW's 2011 Draft Preview book, here's the scouting report from PFW draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki on Yates coming out of North Carolina, where he played for former NFL head coach Butch Davis and former NFL coordinator John Shoop:

"Positives: Very good size. Smart, tough and has shown improved poise in the pocket. Comfortable working from under center. Can lob the fade with touch and put some air underneath the ball. Fine short accuracy.

"Negatives: Has a rag arm - balls tend to hang up in the air. Limited athletic ability. Inconsistent footwork diminishes accuracy, and it really wanes outside 15 yards. Streaky, plays too hot and cold and confidence issues have shown in his play. Heavy-footed, cannot escape the rush and has been slowed by injuries.

"Summary: Regained his confidence and came on strong as a senior but has limited upside to develop and will only fit into a short-to-intermediate, West Coast passing game as a game-managing reserve."

Sounds alot different from what we saw in limited action last week.......we'll see.

ENTIRE ARTICLE

That's pretty cool. I guess he can throw the long ball. :cool:

I see this a lot, but arm strength doesn't have as much to do with the long ball as it does with short and intermediate passing.

Especially in the Red zone where things become more compact.

IMO, this is why schaub as not been a great red zone passer. Jmo.

Im not at all worried about his arm strength , Im worried about his decision making and defenses disguising coverages inducing poor decisions that become INT's.

^^^^
This

How bad would Jacobys hands be if he didn't work on the Jugs machine after practice?

Valid concerns, without a doubt. I'm sure ATL will gameplan to confuse the rookie, but by the same token, they've got no film on the kid. They do not know his tendencies and have no idea how the Texans will plan for him.

It'll be interesting. Hope we are talking up his positives on Monday. I don't even want to think about the alternative.

I see this a lot, but arm strength doesn't have as much to do with the long ball as it does with short and intermediate passing.

Like the pass Leinart threw into the flat on the first drive that was almost a pick six .....

Everybody remember the Jets game opening day last year or year before when Sanchez came to town and everybody thought the Texans would roll the Jets because they had a rookie QB but no real film on him to scout....

Maybe this week will be the Texans "Jets" moment with their rookie QB....

Just a thought...

This

Despite getting flagged for the intentional groundng, I really liked how Yates threw it away. He was agressive by throwing a great pass to a well-covered Andre. He seems smart and savvy to me. I am actually starting to feel pretty good about Yates after reading up and watching his videos all week. I think we have a prospect here.

True to the 20th power. Decision making and stick throws.

Despite getting flagged for the intentional groundng, I really liked how Yates threw it away. He was agressive by throwing a great pass to a well-covered Andre. He seems smart and savvy to me. I am actually starting to feel pretty good about Yates after reading up and watching his videos all week. I think we have a prospect here.

That penalty was on Gary who specifically told him to go thru his reads and if no one was open throw it in the river .... Not to take un-neccessary hits because they had only OD as an emergency QB.

He did what he was told ...

That penalty was on Gary who specifically told him to go thru his reads and if no one was open throw it in the river .... Not to take un-neccessary hits because they had only OD as an emergency QB.

He did what he was told ...

Sounds like we have a quarterback who's a team player. Loving him even more...

Some of us thought his balls had more zip than Leinart (and NO I'm not starting an argument, just making an observation) and said as much during the gameday thread.

Good to know we weren't hallucinating.
:fans:

You said his balls have more zip.

Yeah, I agree with that, but it does help to throw the deep pass as well... Jmo.

I remember a game where D.Carr zinged a pass in so fast to AJ - it hit AJ right between the numbers and thru his hands and bounced off. I hope TJ doesn't do that or get interceptions via a receiver unable to control a hot pass.

I also hope the refs will protect TJ when he slides feet first.....unlike the last game.

Interesting I don't think that his arm was that strong at UNC he might be better than what I originally thought of him we will see sunday.

TJ is a real scrapper. He will be showing us his balls throughout this game. After the game, I don't want to hear any of you saying you didn't like them...........it....................whatever.......:backsout:

Quarterback-thin-Houston-Texans-play-NFC-South-leaders-Atlanta-Falcons-this-Sunday-NFL-Preview-116218.jpg

Back