Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jonathan Wells

Paragon Blue said:
Has anybody heard if he has had any visits with any teams?

I havent heard ANYTHING at all ...... I'd Really like to see him back w/ the Texans .....He's one of my favorite Texans , a great special teams player and a solid back-up RB ...... But with DD , Morency and Probably Bush on the roster there isnt a lot of room left for Wells ....:crying:

corrosion said:
I havent heard ANYTHING at all ...... I'd Really like to see him back w/ the Texans .....He's one of my favorite Texans , a great special teams player and a solid back-up RB ...... But with DD , Morency and Probably Bush on the roster there isnt a lot of room left for Wells ....:crying:

There ain't no probably about it. Bush is coming. I would like to see Wells retained to be our big short yardage guy, and ST standout. There is a glut of FA rb's and a good rb draft as well, so he may find there isn't much market for him.

Porky said:
There ain't no probably about it. Bush is coming. I would like to see Wells retained to be our big short yardage guy, and ST standout. There is a glut of FA rb's and a good rb draft as well, so he may find there isn't much market for him.
That would be nice if he was a good short yardage runner...but he isn't. He won't get much of a contract at his next gig. He's a poor mans Anthony Thomas or Antowain Smith.

Not only would he be a good short yard runner, but also helps on the special teams. Heck of a good guy and handles his business of the field. If we're not going to get any FA, keep some of the one's we have!

Vinny said:
That would be nice if he was a good short yardage runner...but he isn't. He won't get much of a contract at his next gig. He's a poor mans Anthony Thomas or Antowain Smith.

And we have how many better short yardage runners on the roster again? :ok:

DD is a better short yardage runner than Wells, despite being smaller. Of course he costs more too and can't seem to pass block.

HJam72 said:
DD is a better short yardage runner than Wells, despite being smaller. Of course he costs more too and can't seem to pass block.

He blocks better than the 5 other guys who get paid to do nothing but block.

HJam72 said:

So true. Davis has got a little bit of wiggle to him as well as more strength than it looks like he should have at his size. He "runs big". Jonathan just doesn't do that. I like him a lot and I know he brings a lot of positives to our team so I'd like him back if possible but he's not really exceptional in any particular way.

Vinny said:
And the problem with that is that Anthony Thomas and Antowain Smith are a poor man's Anthony Thomas and Antowain Smith...

Hervoyel said:
So true. Davis has got a little bit of wiggle to him as well as more strength than it looks like he should have at his size. He "runs big". Jonathan just doesn't do that. I like him a lot and I know he brings a lot of positives to our team so I'd like him back if possible but he's not really exceptional in any particular way.

I don't think Wells will be asking Herv to negotiate his contract. :D

:coffee:

I hope the Texans can keep him. He's a solid back and a solid special teams player. He's been a really good value for a 2nd day pick.

I wouldn't count on him being back next season. With Bush being the most likely pick and our signing of Cook, I think the chances of Wells coming back are not great. Like Vinny said, he isn't even a great short yardage runner considering how big he is. I think his only chance for staying on this team was if he was a better short yardage runner and the CBA was not signed. Because then there would be an argument for him staying and replacing Davis and giving us a true Thunder and Lightning back field.

But neither happened, so he will be on another team next season.

Not sure where this short yardage stuff is coming from since he's only carried the ball 15 times in his career in situations of x down and 2 yards or less. The Texans haven't been able to pound the ball with any back in 4 years so I'm not sure how that assessment can be made with such certainty.

aj. said:
Not sure where this short yardage stuff is coming from since he's only carried the ball 15 times in his career in situations of x down and 2 yards or less. The Texans haven't been able to pound the ball with any back in 4 years so I'm not sure how that assessment can be made with such certainty.

It's a reaction to the presumption that he is a better short yardage back than DD because he is bigger. On the carries each has had, DD actually has the better record--and JMO but appears that way on the field as well. Don't have 2 yd stats but:

Career stats:

Wells
1st and less than 3--3 att. -.3 ypc
2nd and less than 3--23 att. 2.5 ypc
3rd and less than 3--21 att. 2.2 ypc
4th and less than 3--6 att. 1.3 ypc

DD
1st and less than 3--9 att. 1.2 ypc
2nd and less than 3--37 att. 3.6 ypc
3rd and less than 3--29 att. 6.0 ypc
4th and less than 3--2 att. 2.5 ypc

The sample size is about the same--Wells doesn't average over 3 yards or more than DD in any category. DD averages more than the 3 for a 1st down on both 2nd and 3rd downs. In any event, you're right that short yardage is something the Texans need to improve upon no matter who is back there.

infantrycak said:
It's a reaction to the presumption that he is a better short yardage back than DD because he is bigger. On the carries each has had, DD actually has the better record--and JMO but appears that way on the field as well. Don't have 2 yd stats but:

Career stats:

Wells
1st and less than 3--3 att. -.3 ypc
2nd and less than 3--23 att. 2.5 ypc
3rd and less than 3--21 att. 2.2 ypc
4th and less than 3--6 att. 1.3 ypc

DD
1st and less than 3--9 att. 1.2 ypc
2nd and less than 3--37 att. 3.6 ypc
3rd and less than 3--29 att. 6.0 ypc
4th and less than 3--2 att. 2.5 ypc

The sample size is about the same--Wells doesn't average over 3 yards or more than DD in any category. DD averages more than the 3 for a 1st down on both 2nd and 3rd downs. In any event, you're right that short yardage is something the Texans need to improve upon no matter who is back there.

where do you guys find these stats? nfl.com?

i wouldn't mind having wells back...i think the few games he played for DD he did a pretty good job...he's a bigger bodied back that would compliment bush and davis

chuckm said:
where do you guys find these stats? nfl.com?

Those came off of yahoo.com's situational stats page. Stats, Inc. is the provider the stats used by many of the other pages. There is lots of interesting info on the split and situational pages at the various sites. Some have more detail, some keep records longer--it takes a little research.

well if we are talking about pounders than i seriously doubt we are talking about bush. i mean seriously how can some of u forget how hard davis has worked for us. and JW he was here running the ball during Davids record setting year (for sacks) so thats gotta tell u something. kinda like relationships, u like what u have until u see something better than u forget about everything that person has done for you, its a nice world isnt it.

Back