Jonathan Wells Signs With Colts

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by texasguy346, Aug 29, 2006.

1. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

link

Looks to be only a short term thing aimed at keeping their remaining RBs fresh, but apparently Dungy is taking a very close look at all the back RBs let go by the Texans. You'd think after getting a look at what Hollings can do that Dungy would steer clear of other running backs given their walking papers by the Texans. Nevertheless I wish him luck & hope he does well.

2. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Good for Wells, although I hate that he's going to a division rival. I've always liked Jonathan and wish him the best of luck.

3. real

real Guest

http://www.kffl.com/transactions.php/NFL

It's official

Colts | J. Wells signed
    Tue, 29 Aug 2006 05:32:28 -0700

Mike Chappell, of the Indianapolis Star, reports the Indianapolis Colts have signed free agent RB Jonathan Wells (Texans) to an undisclosed contract. He went through a light workout in the afternoon Monday, Aug, 28. "I haven't even met with the coaching staff,'' Wells said. "I don't know what they're going to try to do with me. I have no idea. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully I'll get a fair chance to get out there and try to help the team.''

4. bavanlan

bavanlan Rookie

I think part of this signing is a need for a true FB for short yardage situations. Over the past couple years, we have really struggled with short down yardage, mostly because of a lack of a true power runner/FB. Pair that with a season-ending injury to our pseudo-FB, and you see a glaring hole for a power runner develop quickly. This preseason, we've been using one of our DT's as a blocking FB, but that may not be a long term answer. I personally would have liked to see us go after Evans from NE, but we don't use a power runner/FB often enough for the price tag he may carry.

Either way, it's a pleasant change of pace to have a 250 lb. + runner on the roster, instead of the typical 215-220lb. variety RB.

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

The best description ever of Wells was Looks like Tarzan, Runs like Jane. He is a special teams stand out and can catch the ball.

6. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

The Colts didn't address any needs at FB with Wells... sorry.

7. bavanlan

bavanlan Rookie

Not a power runner at 250 lbs.? Interesting indeed. If true, then this signing just became more confusing...:dangit:

BTW, by "FB", I mean not only run blocking in the true FB sense, but also a power runner between the tackles...

8. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Just to echo what everyone else has said, he ran like a giant sissy while with the Texans. I've heard FWIW he was a bad lockerroom influence and not the most coachable attitude. Better luck to you guys with him; he may react better now that he isn't playing Capersball.

But I wouldn't count on it.

9. bavanlan

bavanlan Rookie

LOL!

How did he do when faced with short-yardage? Does he have the ability to run over people and simply chooses not to? To me, it's of minimal concern how he runs in the open field, because with the exception of this upcoming pre-season game, he won't see the field outside the redzone or short yardage. However, it he's a weak runner...then that's a different story.

10. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

If anything should give you a clue, it's the fact that Kubiak (who excels in finding that "diamond in the rough RB", even undrafted FAs...) didn't think it necessary to keep him even though Dom. Davis has major injury concerns....FWIW.

11. HoustonTexan

HoustonTexan Noob

12. marroncito

marroncito Rookie

It looks like Wells might have a shot of at least taking over James Mungro's role in the Colts offense if not more.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1601

13. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Good for him and I wish him well except for twice a year.

14. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Hey Wells, just do us one favor man. When you see Mario about to sack Manning, slide over and give the kid a shot at him.

Just for old times sake.