Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Jonathan Wells or Domanick Davis

Mistril48 said:
His fumbling this year is unacceptable, but he hasn't had a big problem with fumbling throughout his career. I would not be surprised to see him string together a number of big games throughout the rest of the year.

I believed this as well but a quick glance at his senior year (available at this Link down under the "2002" heading) reveals that DD put the rock on the ground on a regular basis his senior year. That season he wasn't (I believe, could be mistaken) even a full time starter.

So which is it? Is he the fumble factory from 2002 and early this season or is he the fairly reliable talented back running back we saw last year? I just don't know.

Noob here.......but been watching this thread. And I must say that it's interesting to see that some TEXAN loyals are ready to jump wagon on a stud RB that can make huge plays, for a between the tackles runner that will get you short yardage with no big play ability what so ever.

I am a loyal fan, been here since day 1, never posted a fire anyone thread, I am just saying put the man in who is performing better.

i think its still to early in his career to know,,,,but i saw a lot of promise out of him last season and thats not just something you can fake ! He still has the ability and talent to be a good back lets just see if he can learn to use it !

His fumbles are a prob, but it's only due to the fact that he fights for evey yard he can get, while Wells just gets tackled at the spot of contact.

If this is true, why is Davis averaging 2.9 yards a carry and Wells is averaging 3.7 yards a carry and Davis' longest run of the season is 10 yards. If that's fighting for yards I would hate to see him on a bad day.

Ok if i may comment on the KC game it was wells who fumbled the ball and turned it over not davis !!!!

Um no, David Carr and Billy Miller had a fumble each in that game, Wells did not fumble once in that game.

I will give you the turnovers in the first 2 games as the breakers for Houstons loss,but in Game 6 DD did not turn over the ball a win,and no one turned over the ball in game 5 a loss,and then again in week 3 DD did not turn over the ball a win(rushing game 5?)Carr 10 yds less than DD,week6 Wells prevailed nicely.

I am not just talking about turnovers here, but overall performance also. Davis played the entire game against Minnesota and we lost the game. And yes we won the game in week 3, but Wells came in in the second half and rushed for 37 yards on 10 carries, after Davis had a WHOPPING 12 yards on 10 carries.

My point is don't associate DD as the prince of all the turnovers,and call that the reson for starting Wells,Wells is wonderful,But I haven't been convinced that last years Rookie of the year has shown us what he has yet.

If he hasn't shown us what he has yet, what is he waiting for?

texan279 said:
I am not just talking about turnovers here, but overall performance also. Davis played the entire game against Minnesota and we lost the game. And yes we won the game in week 3, but Wells came in in the second half and rushed for 37 yards on 10 carries, after Davis had a WHOPPING 12 yards on 10 carries.

If he hasn't shown us what he has yet, what is he waiting for?

I think Probably the colts :popcorn:

You dont just give up on talent.

Davis was Rookie of the Year.. and he has shown the coaches that he is humble, a team player, and a hard worker.. all those things together means you dont give up on him cause he has had a rough start.

He may not get back into his groove until late in the season.. ya never know.. hell he might not get into his groove again till NEXT season.. but I dont think we will give up on him quickly. he has SHOWN that he is capable of it, we just have to get him where he needs to be.

And he isnt gonna get it back if we have him ride the pine.. Well i dunno.. he might.. but ya gotta have some faith in the guy.

We have a great passing game.. keep Davis in there.. let him try and work his way out of this slump. If we can get him going, AND our passing game.. we will be doing awesome.

texan279 said:
If this is true, why is Davis averaging 2.9 yards a carry and Wells is averaging 3.7 yards a carry and Davis' longest run of the season is 10 yards. If that's fighting for yards I would hate to see him on a bad day.

Whoa......8-tenths or a yard difference! Shoot......WELLS is a STUD! Just imagine what he would get if the defenses studied and prepared for him and not D Davis. I guess GreenBay needs to bench A Green in favor of N Davenport going by your train of thought. And lets see....Tiki would be benched in favor of that awesome Ron Dayne. And I guess D Carr needs to be benched for throwing 5 INT's, and fumbling 6 times.

Like some mentioned, the forgotten factor here is T Hollings who is 2nd in the pecking order, should get the start over Wells if they were to go with someone other than D Davis. But I still think that D Davis is the best of all three!

In the first 2 games Davis was in the top 5 in NFL in total yards. If he doesn't fumble (and that's a big if) people would be talking about how special he is. No one on this board would disagree that the fumbles are unacceptable but I really feel that 2.9 vs. 3.7 is an function of the zone blocking scheme working better. Wells is doing nothing special nor doing anything different than he has done his first 2 years. If there isn't a whole he gets nothing, if there is then he gets a couple. If Davis continues to fumble or lets nagging injuries hinder his performance then make a change. Until then I personally think that the offense is better with Davis in the ball game. Just my opinion.

Tayton said:
In the first 2 games Davis was in the top 5 in NFL in total yards. If he doesn't fumble (and that's a big if) people would be talking about how special he is. No one on this board would disagree that the fumbles are unacceptable but I really feel that 2.9 vs. 3.7 is an function of the zone blocking scheme working better. Wells is doing nothing special nor doing anything different than he has done his first 2 years. If there isn't a whole he gets nothing, if there is then he gets a couple. If Davis continues to fumble or lets nagging injuries hinder his performance then make a change. Until then I personally think that the offense is better with Davis in the ball game. Just my opinion.

Well said, and I could'nt agree more.

If we do have to "make a change", it better be to someone other than Wells. I hope ol' John boy proves me wrong. I would like to see Wells turn into the type of back that his physical presense suggests he should be.

Let's just assume that DD keeps starting and continues to play the way he has been this year (including fumbles per carry). At some point in every game, let's just say start of second half, Wells comes in and runs for 3.7 yards per play. How long until some of you guys change your mind and decide to start Wells and just wait for DD to get it back together? Would some of you say to just always start DD over Wells no matter what, until we got somebody that we don't have now (or DD improves again)? Let's just ignore Hollings for this question, because I consider him a real question mark right now. I have no idea what he would or wouldn't do if he was healthy and played an entire game for us.

HJam72 said:
Let's just assume that DD keeps starting and continues to play the way he has been this year (including fumbles per carry). At some point in every game, let's just say start of second half, Wells comes in and runs for 3.7 yards per play. How long until some of you guys change your mind and decide to start Wells and just wait for DD to get it back together? Would some of you say to just always start DD over Wells no matter what, until we got somebody that we don't have now (or DD improves again)? Let's just ignore Hollings for this question, because I consider him a real question mark right now. I have no idea what he would or wouldn't do if he was healthy and played an entire game for us.

That is all this thread has been about is DD keeps starting and play the same including fumbles,so instead lets just assume that DD comes in and rushes for 125 and no fumbles would that change the minds of the wells backers to come around?{probably not) but he did get Rookie Of The Year last year and that was earned fair and square.So sorry can't assume your dream is better than mine> :soldier:

brickmantexanfan said:
That is all this thread has been about is DD keeps starting and play the same including fumbles,so instead lets just assume that DD comes in and rushes for 125 and no fumbles would that change the minds of the wells backers to come around?{probably not) but he did get Rookie Of The Year last year and that was earned fair and square.So sorry can't assume your dream is better than mine> :soldier:

I'm dealing with reality....not dreams. You can dream about DD rushing for 125 yds. and no fumbles this season, but I have as yet to see that happen. What I have seen is DD fumble 4 times in 2 games and then either stink it up or sit out hurt for the other 4 games. Meanwhile, Wells has shown a descent average and held on to the ball. That's not a dream. It happened this year.

You can hope that DD turns back time, just like we all will, all you want, but I want to know how long you'd keep sticking him back in there if he doesn't. What if we don't even draft another RB? Does DD just keep starting through next year, too, even if he's still sub-par? I don't believe that RB is a position where you get better with experience. It's a position where you get old really fast with experience. Wells isn't going to be any franchise back, but right now he's the best we've got. DD can change that in just a few plays, but he's got to do it and I see no reason to keep feeding him the ball until he chokes on it. Getting your chance and having to start every game, while keeping others on the bench, are not the same thing and we've won 3 out of 4 with Wells playing the majority of the time.

The first game, DD fumbles twice. Game 2: DD doesn't play and we win. That's what I wanted to do. Since then, well, you know how it's gone. It really surprises me that people will ride a sick horse like this. When his ypc started going WAY down after having the first two Double Drop games, I thought we'd all see that he needed to sit out, most of the time, until he proved he was ready to come back. Do we want to win games or just watch our favorite players, whether they stink or not? If Jeff Bagwell hits .067 next year, I say they should sit his butt down. If the crowd wants to see Baggs at that point, they can watch taped games on their VCRs. Actually, you know, I suspect that Baggy would sit his own butt down in that scenario, lol.

I don't know if it's even necessary to say this, but I have no affinity for Wells. If he plays bad, he's out (assuming somebody can play better and is healthy). I feel the same way about DD. Of course, you already know that. If hollings were healthy, I'd be glad to see him get his chance, but he'd probably cough up the ball. I don't care. I just want this team to win as much as they can and I don't want to see DD starting every game, regardless of what he most likely will do, just because he has more long term potential, which may or may not be all used up. I believe DDs going to do what he's going to do, regardless of how much or how little he plays in between now and then. In other words, losing games with him now is not necessary to get him to come out of a slump. He'll come out of it when he comes out of it--if he ever does. If anything the coaches do will wake him up, it's letting him sit on the bench and worry about his job. That might do it right there--possibly.

Personally, if I had to guess right now, I'd say that Davis is done. He wasn't expected to do what he did last year and a lot of RBs have one great year and then fall back to reality. I'm not saying to get rid of him, but I don't really expect him to be a franchise player. He's already proven to be injury prone just like everyone worried about before he even came here. He definitely deserves a job in the NFL, though. Maybe not as a starter. RBBC sounds pretty good, when and if he gets it back together.

We need to keep in mind that the texans are using a new blocking scheme, that DD maybe hasn't gotten use to. I don't know I'm not him, but I think DD is more of a threat than Wells.

We need to keep in mind that the texans are using a new blocking scheme, that DD maybe hasn't gotten use to. I don't know I'm not him, but I think DD is more of a threat than Wells.

If Davis wasn't used to the new blocking scheme, then more than likely none of our RB's would be used to it either. Davis problems are fumbles and trying to play with nagging minor injuries.

I like DD. Last year everybody was on his bandwagon. Now nobody wants him back there. I think he will bounce back.

Although I was impressed by his performance last year, I never "jumped on his bandwagon". I'm not saying that he sucks or we should get rid of him. I just think we should be starting the guy who is getting the job done, and right now that is Wells. I will say this, if Davis' injury and fumbling problems do not stop by the end of the season, I think we should look at drafting a RB in the upcoming draft or signing a free agent RB.

texan279 said:
Although I was impressed by his performance last year, I never "jumped on his bandwagon". I'm not saying that he sucks or we should get rid of him. I just think we should be starting the guy who is getting the job done, and right now that is Wells. I will say this, if Davis' injury and fumbling problems do not stop by the end of the season, I think we should look at drafting a RB in the upcoming draft or signing a free agent RB.
Amen to this! I want DD to succeed more than anyone, but right now he is not doing what he did last year. I welcome him to come back to that form anytime like anyone else. The name of the game is move the ball and score more points, and Wells hasn't given any reason to think he hasn't helped with that.

Theres no question Davis is the better Back he hits the holes quicker and lets not forget hes ALOT better reciever than Wells .

Theres no question Davis is the better Back he hits the holes quicker and lets not forget hes ALOT better reciever than Wells .

I never said Wells was a better back, my point is you have to play the man who is getting the job done, and right now that is Wells. And let's not forget, Davis has had a habit of coughing up the ball this year.

nothing aganst DD, but it sure seems we run a better offense without DD. I don't why or what. Just seems we become one diminsional with DD (run,run, and if we pass it goes to DD). Not sure if it is Carr or what

seriously, I hope both backs succeed, but I don't see any of them putting a fear into a defense. they are both solid grind it out backs but not explosive. (no disrespect)

it seems to me.. based on interviews and such.. that the coaches have slowly come around to the fact that our passing game is too good to tuck away. Before, we wanted that running game.. that is how our coaches "like" to play.. but now.. I dont think it is quite as important to them as the passing game is. Now, I think we can expect that even with DD out there, we will use him just to take pressure off Carr and keep the defense guessing.. not as our main offensive weapon.

Before, we would throw him out there and run him into the ground... I dont think we would do the same now.

basicly what im trying to say is that if DD goes out now, I doubt he would have any negative influence on our play.. since he wont be overused.

texan279 said:
Are you saying he has no talent? Are you saying that anyone can play RB for our team and put up Well's like numbers? Look what he did against the Raiders D line. If Wells gets taclked when touched, I guess Davis will go down if you just look at him because Wells is averaging almost 1 yard more a carry than Davis.

Sometimes a good back will go down when he's touched. That's smart football. Ask Earl Campbell, William Andrews and Jamal Anderson, all of whom had to retire before their time. All of these backs were tough, punishing backs, but all of those needless hits they subjected themselves to for a yard or two cost them years at the end of their careers.

Give DD the ball and put him on a short leash. He already knows he's on a short leash but maybe the Capers can exercise his right to sit the boy down. Bottom line, DD fumbles 1 or can't find a hole within a few possessions then you put in Wells. If Wells can't get it done then you continue the running game with a RB by committee type of attitude. I think that will make one or the other step up. It's not like it's the QB position where Wells or Domanick are in true leadership roles. They both have a lot to prove as the run is obviously our weakness in the offense. "That's about all I got to say about that" - Forrest Gump

texan279 said:
How does it spell disaster? Compare their stats, compare our teams performance when Wells plays vs. Davis, compare our turnover ratio when Wells plays vs. Davis.

Game 1 vs. San Diego, Davis starts, 4 turnovers, Texans loss.
Game 2 vs. Detroit, Davis starts, 3 turnovers, Texans loss.
Game 3 vs. Kansas City, davis starts, plays first half, 1 turnover first half, Houston losing 7 to 6. Wells comes in second half, no turnovers, Houston wins 24-21.
Game 4 vs. Oakland, Wells starts, plays entire game, 1 turnover the entire game, Houston wins 30-17.
Game 5 vs. Minnesota, Davis starts, plays entire game, no turnovers, Texans lose.
Game 6 vs. Titans, Davis starts, plays 1st half, 2 turnovers 1st half, Houston up 13-10 halftime. Wells plays second half, no turnovers second half, Texans win.

ok i see your point but in game 6 davis had nothing to do with the 2 turnovers,,,it was Carr so i dont think that can be put on davis,,,plus we still had the lead. Give him a break he'll be healthy this week for the jags game get 125 yars and this thread will disappear for ever with yall hoping noone finds it !!! Davis is in a slump he will come out of it and produce well for us !

Never in my wildest dream would I see a thread equating Wells to Davis, but hey, you can't argue the numbers. Wells is really playing good this year and it was hard for any of us to evaluate a player behind the line of 2002. I personally like the way Wells is used. As a running back, not as a reciever.

SESupergenius said:
Never in my wildest dream would I see a thread equating Wells to Davis, but hey, you can't argue the numbers. Wells is really playing good this year and it was hard for any of us to evaluate a player behind the line of 2002. I personally like the way Wells is used. As a running back, not as a reciever.

No joke SES... in all fairness. Wells didn't have the WR's to spread the field when he started like DD has or an OL like they have now

The problem is their is too much focus on the running game when Davis is in. I don't have a doubt in my mind Davis is the better RB, but the offense needs focus around the passing game and our extremely talented and deep group of WRs. Spread out those LBers and back up the Safeties a little and Davis will have a field day.

Also don't forget the zone blocking is steadily improving with experience, so those first two games are hard to compare with the last couple. I think this weekend will be really telling as to how much the line has progressed and which back can really get it done.

ledzeppelin269 said:
The problem is their is too much focus on the running game when Davis is in. I don't have a doubt in my mind Davis is the better RB, but the offense needs focus around the passing game and our extremely talented and deep group of WRs. Spread out those LBers and back up the Safeties a little and Davis will have a field day.

Also don't forget the zone blocking is steadily improving with experience, so those first two games are hard to compare with the last couple. I think this weekend will be really telling as to how much the line has progressed and which back can really get it done.

I agree that when DD is in there everyone focuses on him, and that's why the running game had been difficult. But also, DD IS THE BETTER BACK. Watch the film! If you watch Wells hit the hole and then DD hit the hole, the difference is like night and day. No one on our team hits the hole quicker and stronger than DD, but the fact is, nothing opens up for him! I contribute that to 1) Oline is not doing very good and 2) we're being way too predictable on offense. Right now, I can tell you the first play we are going to run: Ace formation, run in-between the tackles. We have got to be less predictable and the Oline has got to open up some holes. I think Wells is doing better because the D doesn't consider him to be a great threat. He'll pick up some yards, but he will be contained with a minimal amount of effort. Oline had got to step it up, because I don't believe that its DD's fault! Like I said, look at tape and tell me that DD is not as Wells. You are fooling yourself.

However, I do believe in benching him if he fumbles. We can win with Wells, we can't win if DD fumbles. Unfortunatley, all 3 of our backs have had a tendency to fumble the ball.

phan1 said:
2) we're being way too predictable on offense. Right now, I can tell you the first play we are going to run: Ace formation, run in-between the tackles.

Well then you would be right half of the time:

Games with 1st play runs:
San Diego, Detroit, Tennessee

Games with 1st play passes:
KC, Oakland, Minnesota

But I agree with your first point, the main problem with our run game is inconsistancy by the OL.

Bump :BananaWav Just bumping this post since it seems like some people are starting to agree there is a problem with Davis.

Game 8 vs. Jaguars, Davis starts, 95 total yards, 2 fumbles, a kick return from Wells, Texans win 20-6

Bigger look at the game:

Wells, Rushing 4 for 2yrds, Receiving 2 for 7 yards, oh and Kick return 1 for 9 yards

DD, Rushing 22 for 56 yrds, Receiving 5 for 39 yards

Shoot, Chad Stanley rushed once for 3 yards more than Wells..

I'm not saying Wells sucks, but he cannot compare to DD.. I think his recent success was due to the opposing defense not expecting him..

Back