Jonathan Stewart

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by 2slik4u, Mar 29, 2008.

1. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

does anyone have any insight on jonathan stewarts recent surgery? also, do you think this will have any effect on a decsion with us?

2. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Worst case scenario he misses a couple games early in the season. I believe he played with this injury last season and managed to run a 4.4 40 with it as well. Not a big deal on his draft status imo.

3. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

He will prolly drop a little, but I don't think that we are going to go RB in the 1st round.

I would be shocked if we don't go CB, maybe even OL if the right guy falls to #18.

Look for this topic to be moved to the Draft forum.

4. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

his turf toe has been surgically addressed & if anything will make him 100% for which ever team is lucky enough to get him. will not hurt him or limit his NFL career whatsoever, NFL teams know this & if he is a better fit than Mendenhall in their system & need a RB they will not hesitate to draft him.

regarding the Texans its pretty much a mute point, before or after this injury, yet stranger things have happen'ed :thinking:

5. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

I'd be just fine with either of those IF Stewart's gone. But to pass on a potentially elite talent like that to "fill a need" would be horrible. And it's not like RB ISN'T a position of need.

If Stewart is as good as I personally think he'll be, with a healthy Schaub, Johnson, and Charles Spencer, you can gun for shootouts every week until Dunta returns. Hell, we only had one "real" CB until Fred Bennett became a starter anyway, and we did just fine.

Fix the offensive side of the ball first, then start filling the holes on the defense. Worked for the Colts, didn't it?

6. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

And the opposite worked for the Ravens, Steelers, Buccaneers etc..:d:

7. Texaninlild

Texaninlild Hall of Fame

Stewart would be perfect for this system IMO, but the small possibility that we would pull the trigger on a RB in the first round almost makes this a non-discussion. I would cheer the pick, but I think we are going CB or OT. I think you would see an edge rusher go before a RB. This coaching/management staff has been pretty strong in their decision making so in Kubes and Smith I trust.
    :fans:

8. Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry Veteran

Sorry but could not disagree with you more. Stewart is a good running back I will not fight you on that. But IMHO Green,Brown,Taylor, and Walker can take care of pounding the rock this year.

Last year I was dead set on NOT taking a Olinemen because of the talent that was going to come out this year. Can someone tell me the last time it looked like 6,7, maybe 8 Olinemen might be take in the FIRST round? The talent pool this year is there WE need to protect Matt's blindside NOW. If we keep getting our QB's pounded into the ground we're looking at Mittens(Carr) part two.

We have a chance with this draft to fix the Oline for the next 10 years. Think about it Gibbs is not going to be with the staff for more than a few years he is 72 and already retired once, point is draft a OLT now with the young talent we have gotten over the passed two drafts the kids can become a unit before Gibbs hangs it up for good.

Last but not least RB are deep in this years draft will still be some good ones left in the third and fourth rounds. Granted not the cabiler of Stewart but still servicable. Always keep in mind the next Greatest Running Back to play the game is in NEXT YEARS draft.

Texaninlild and ChampionTexan like this.
  9. beerlover

if I understand DerckLee1 he is merely stating the obvious fact of passing on bpa over need. football gods willing :bowdown: there should be a Tackle or Corner available worth the 18th pick otherwise Jonathan Stewart would be a nice fit, clean, thick build which should hold up better than some think, downhill runner with speed to take it deep :whoohoo:

10. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

i completely agree with you on the deep class of RB's this year. i would love to see a few different possiblities happen with this years draft:

A. trade down to pick up a second rounder on draft day
    B. keep our draft position and trade sage for a second rounder
    C. keep our draft position and trade sage for a third and sixth rounder, and with that third rounder, pick up a RB like say Jamaal Charles (im a homer, i know) or another servicable young RB.

i think option number three would be my favorite option due to the fact that we can use our first pick on a DB or OL and still fulfill the need of a young back. there are many different options that may happen and i cant wait for draft day. i do trust smith and kubes and i hope that they dont let us down. as a big texan fan, disappointment on draft day has been a thing of frequent occurence in the past. only in the last couple of years have the tables finally started to turn, i just hope this year will be the best draft day ever in our history.

11. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I certainly wouldn't rule out this FO taking a RB in the 1st if they feel he's BPA. Remember, Kubes tried to trade back into the first to get Deangelo Williams in 06. Thankfully that didn't work out and we had to settle for DeMeco instead.:whip:

12. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

If we pick Stewart, I will be glad to have him and welcome him aboard. But to fill a need position as you stated with outstanding talent and a value pick @ 18 stands true if these guys are available:

Williams
    Leodis McKelvin
    Mike Jenkins

These guys would possibly be BPA at their respective positions if they are available along with Stewart. I think the staff has tipped their hand and shown us they are planning on going with RB by committee this year. JMO, might pick up another RB late but OL and CB severly needs to be addressed.

13. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Just like Earl Campble ? Barry Sanders....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-prospectsurgeries

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/355004_hawk14.html

If we're talking turff toe:

1. Seattle has coluded with Stewart to drop him into the twenties.

2. The only thing certain about turf toe is that it is uncertain.

No one is going to know bout him untill he laces up the cleats.

Cronic and TT seem to go together.

14. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

http://www.nflhs.com/fitness/features/preventturftoe_07172006_jjc.asp

15. Spled

Spled All Pro

Kiper has Felix Jones over Stewart for some reason.

16. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

Kiper is a joke. i don't know why anyone would pay his mock drafts.

17. beerlover

Kipers time has past he no longer holds the courts attention, the draft has become big buisness & its crowded at the top :lion:

Regarding JS. nobody has taken a bigger hit who has always done the correct thing. Oregon gets little national coverage/recognition. he has always been an elite RB yet people doubt him. he played with turf toe in the Sun Bowl amassing 253 yds. & performed @ the combine running 4.44/4.48 plus positionial drills then gets surgery to correct the injury & gets hammer'ed. you have got to be kidding me :wacko:

18. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

To my defense, I've bashed Stewart on a consistent basis and it has nothing to do with his turf toe.

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

IMO there are two elite players who might be available at #18. WIlliams LT and J. Stewart. Both can be considered franchise type players who will start for many years and probably will start game one if healthy. Stewart should miss no more than two games if that. If both are there #18, I'd go LT as on avg a LT can play longer than RB.

There are several interesting players at LT and CB avail in 3rd and 4th but again imo not so with RB. RBs I have followed are moving up with Forte 2-3 round and Tashard Choice now project in 3rd. Jamaal Charles, a perfect fit for ZBS, is projected at low first/high second and we miss him without a second and probably will even with. Kevin Smith 6'1" 217 lbs 4.53 from Central Florida. I've not seen him play but other posters have said he is good. The problem with not tagging a WIlliams or Stewart when in your sights, there is no guarantee a similar player will be there later rounds. I want some great picks, not a fill in or 2-3 years that might be good. If Williams or J.S. is at #18
    that should be the pick unless Dallas wants to give us both firsts.

20. beerlover

major suckage for you I guess then because the Texans have already cleared his jersey #28 (released boulware) [​IMG]