Johnson turned down gig

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by mexican_texan, Dec 10, 2005.

1. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Profootballtalk.com says that the rumor going around is that McNair offered both coaching and GM positions to JJ, but he refused. He reportedly wants to go to the Lions because of their "talent".

2. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

I would be overly suprised if JJ is doing either next season. He sure will not go to the Lions unless they are firing Matt Millen

3. CyberTexan

CyberTexan Veteran

I dont believe that rumor , Johnson wouldnt go to a cold weather state dome or no dome , hes made that clear in the past when he went to Miami.

4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I also don't think that profootballtalk.com has a clue on that one. It's just a rumor they're reporting but I don't think it adds up really.

To begin with the Detroit Lions have no better talent than the Houston Texans really. What? A couple of early draft choice WR's (I'm not counting Rogers because he's already looking like a bust) and Kevin Jones at RB? He makes Domanick Davis look like Shaun Alexander right now. Joey Harrington has already proven himself to be the bust that we're all concerned David Carr might become.

Nope, nobody on the face of the earth is going to pass on the Texans job for the sole reason that they're holding out for the "more talented" Lions.

5. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I would not really listen to anything that profootballtalk.com says and think of it as indisputable fact, most of it is rumors and strange conjectures. Same thing for Richard Justice's articles and half of what you hear on 610 radio.

6. GP

GP Go Texans!

Them saying he's NOT interested probably means he IS interested.

It's a smoke-screen by JJ and McNair to deflect attention.

"What? Me coaching and/or GM'ing the Texans? Nah. Not me. Nope. I promise, you're way off base with that one. I'm perfectly happy where I am at. I love Terry and Howie. And JB, too. Nope. My cozy little chair is fine."

Flash-forward to the off-season, and read the headline: Jimmy Johnson Hired as Texans Head Coach and GM.

Just remember, when it's being denied...it's being tried.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I dont think many people will be in line to interview for the Lions HC position as long as Millen is GM .

As for the Texans next coach .... Im pretty clueless as to whom it could be or who would really want the job

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Yeah I forgot to point out the Lions lack of talent in the front office too. Of course in light of the Richard Justice article and what was said about Casserly I think maybe we share that problem.

9. HoustonFan

HoustonFan Hall of Fame

Kinda reminds me about when there was speculation on whether Parcells would come out of retirement to coach the Cowboys. hmmmm....

I'm just waiting to see what happens.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I think there are two blatant instances where Casserly has been pushed into making a rash decision and not done his due diligence .... homework .

The PBurnt trade being the latest example but in last years draft .... Jason Babin .... the Titanics made him theink that there was at least one otherr team making offers for Babin in particular which in turn made Casserly pay a premium price for pick #27 .... he was robbed :brickwall

Although at some point Babin may prove to be a good NFL player

11. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

Listen, JJ would be magic for this team. He's a winner on the field, in the locker room, in the draft war room, in the PR war, in the player assessment room, just about everywhere you look.

If McNair cannot persuade (meaning PAY HIM ENOUGH, GIVE HIM ENOUGH PERKS, GIVE HIM ENOUGH WHATEVER HE WANTS) JJ tyo take the Texans gig, then McNair's not much of a salesman.

At the VERY LEAST, he should ask JJ to come on in as a transitional advisor and sounding board--McNair DESPERATELY NEEDS someone other than Casserly to get input from.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Babin turning into a servicable player at some point is not what im getting at ... The problem lies in the fact that the man makes poor decisions because he lets other GM's force his hand ....

He gave up so much to get PBurnt because he was afraid the Redskins were gonna jump into the deal for him him , The Titanics played the same card on him in the Babin deal .... someone else wants this guy , you want him you gotta up the ante .

He is susceptible to being manipulated .

Now do you understand ?

13. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I would like to see the Texans pick up Rogers this offseason. He is a talent and will not be expensive at all. He is one of the guys i have a feeling about.

14. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

YTF you usually are pretty solid on your evaluations. Rogers is a problem. He is a slight built receiver who has not proven he can get deep yet. He is looking more like a young Keyshawn with a worse attitude every day. Bringing him here would add problems that we dont need. Someone will spend for him because they will believe he has upside. As far as wideout goes I think we are pretty solid if Gaff stays otherwise we may have some issues. Nothing a good rookie cant fix though somewhere in the 3 or 4th rounds.

15. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5137750

16. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

this wasn't talking about the Texans (vikings) but this is a short thing of what JJ said about coaching changes

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5151200

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I think you misunderstood my original post ....

Casserly made a poor decision in both cases based on the VALUE of said players and was manipulated by other GM's into overpaying . Wether Babin becomes a servicable player or not has no bearing upon the situation :goodnight