Johnny Mathis

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans Horror, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

2. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

If Capers, etc had the sense god gave an earthworm, they would give "Johnny" more offensive plays and can Bradford. This guy is the real deal and gives me hope for the Texans' future.

3. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

doesn't he have a pretty good christmas album?

4. Boris

Boris All Pro

did you see the silly grin he had during his TD run!?

5. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

JM needs to get more reps. He was dinged for a lot of the preseason.

It was interesting to see him run the fake reverses in the 4th Q. One of these days, one of those is going to be for real and that could be fun.

At least in the short term, you need some other receiver in after the JM returns because he's got to run so much lately, I am guessing he is a little winded. Heck, his returns make ME tired just watching them. :)

6. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Id have fun to if I could run that fast.

7. TexasJedi

TexasJedi Hall of Fame

Travis Johnson and John McClain were on ESPN Classic's "Classic Now" last night. Travis was talking about "Johnny" Mathis. The guy is a bit of a clown, TJ was wearing a huge fro wig and arguing with McClain. He's got a personality, I'll give him that.

8. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

It would be cool if the Texans would play a part of "Johnny Be Good" before the kick. I could imagine the crowd singing, Go......go Johnny go! Go.......go Johnny go!..........

9. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

That would be kinda cool.

10. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

TJ has attitude, I like attitude :)

11. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

J. Mathis is a stud and almost everyone on this board wanted the kid. He was a double threat returning and receiving and hopefully or better yet in order to save any type of job Capers better can Bradford and start playing the kid. I think now though that Carr will look for the kid more. If Mathis proves that he is not gonna drop many more balls he will be major contributor to the offense.

12. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

Having Mathis as a threat will take some much needed pressure off of AJ, which would open up their game more. It's just one (okay, more like 1 1/2) games, but I am glad to see another receiver getting kudos. However, knowing our ***** coaches, they will probably bench Gaff or Johnny to give Bradford playing time when AJ returns (if he returns). Please bench Bradford!!

13. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

<deleted>

14. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Learn how to stiff arm the punters that block you. Man, if he learns how to do this he'll take one to the house every game :)

15. Scooter

Scooter Funky

funny, the same was said for moses. it's nice to have the biggest knock on a guy be that he cant beat the kicker (although i dont think mathis will have that problem). most teams would love a guy that can get TO the kicker as consistant as those two have for us.

16. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving Mathis. I were just thinking (after watching the Browns game this morning) that he would have had 4 TD returns already were it not for kickers blocking him :)

With a bit of stiff arm he would be the perfect returner, and he's real close to being there :)

17. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

I've love to be able to do that at least once .... and isn't it wonderful to have a kick returner whose best ability is something other than "he never fumbles" .....

18. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Big difference -- Moses was already running out of gas by the time he was getting to mid-field and Mathis is just hitting top gear at that point. Moses could be run down from behind by linebackers. Mathis is mostly straight ahead speed (that's why the other comparison to Dante Hall is way off base as well) and few players in the NFL can run with him. I've noticed that Mathis doesn't appear to be able to change directions easily and when you're running 4.29 at someone it's all about angles of attack. He will get even better with more expereince. Why I'm even comparing Moses and Mathis is a good question.

19. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

And to think 90% of you wanted to keep Swinton. My how things have changed.

20. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I still think we should have kept Swinton. Keeping Swinton and Mathis are not mutually exclusive. I'm not a big Bradford fan, though .....