Johnathan Joseph: Bengals are cheap, Texans are not

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jul 15, 2012.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

link

It's good to hear about Joseph's contrasting experience. But I don't know that, of all teams, I would be picking the Bengals as a comparison example to try to illustrate how generous another team might be.

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Well... you know, he has experience with two teams...

What I thought odd was:
    Mr. McNair will probably getting a visit from the IRS in the near future.

& why does a multimillionaire need to bring gatorade home?

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/07/15/4112733/qa-with-former-northwestern-standout.html

4. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

We're lucky to have Mr. McNair as an owner.

5. GP

GP Go Texans!

That's the sort of thing we need to appear in media: i.e. Why Houston is a good destination for free agents.

My only quibble is that he's airing a bit of laundry. I don't like it when former Texans speak negatively about Houston, so the shoe fits here IMO.

The other thing is he's talking about McNair's income, sort of. Probably should have not said that, it didn't add anything to his story.

The part about Houston caring for him and his wife during the miscarriage was really good.

All in all: Good publicity for H-Town.

6. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

He was qualifying his statement.

Instead of saying, "Brown's cheap and McNair's not," he was saying, "Brown's cheap and McNair's not, and here's why..."

7. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Yep - he's actually trying to tone down the negative aspects of his comments regarding the Bengals.

Also, given that it's widely known that McNair has and had other sources of income (from the sale of Cogen Technologies, to ongoing investment in the power generation industry, to owning and racing horses), I think the chance of any negative backlash from either the general public or the IRS is minimal.

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'm sure Houston will become a top destination for the best FA as soon as they get word that McNair lets them take home all the Gatorade they want.

Winning a couple dozen more play-off games won't hurt either.

9. GP

GP Go Texans!

And you think that's wisdom to do so? I don't.

J Jo didn't make a huge transgression, I won't paint it as such. I gave him props for other things he said, the part on McNair's income stream(s) was mildly awkward. Again: Overall, good pub for the good guys!

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I understand your sarcasm but many folks like the little things. Money is great but that personal touch cannot be overlooked. You think players won't hear that about the McNairs being there during a miscarriage? You betcha.

11. GP

GP Go Texans!

Was he personally there? I don't remember the event(s) when it actually happened.

I think the best thing that can happen is finally happening: Players want a good team environment AND they want to win too. We've always had one of those things, and now we have the other. This is what's key, IMO.

12. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

One supports the other. Gatorade is a superficial example but what he's saying can't be ignored. All pro leagues are players leagues. Coaches coach at the pleasure of the players. Players shut it down, coach gets fired. All the best teams go first class. The comment about McNair having other revenue streams is important. He doesn't have to live and die making money with the sports franchise.

Successful people are successful for a reason and it's not always who they know. They have to make their own imprint or they'll be labeled wannabes of daddy's boys. Bud Adams is a daddy's boy and it shows in how he runs the team. He fell into it. I've known men like Adams and they never measure up to their fathers. They are spoiled and impetuous adult brats.

13. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Yeah, he can only compare the two teams he's played for so that makes sense to me. What's important here is that he's very clear that the Texans are nothing like the Bengals. That's the message you want free agents around the league to get out of this.

I thought the other side to your question was "Why would a billionaire care how much Gatorade a multimillionaire takes home?" I'm sure that no matter how much he's drinking it's a trivial amount. McNair doesn't apparently sweat the small stuff. Brown does.

14. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Basically JJo said the same thing about Cincy that Cris Dishman said about the Oilers when he left.

15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Like that wasn't perfectly clear before he made his comments. :specnatz::)

16. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

It's another reminder of why the departure of Bud Adams will forever be a great thing.

thunderkyss likes this.
  17. Texan_Bill

Exactly.... See my post about Cris Dishman's comments about the Oilers ---> Pud Adams.

18. Texan_Bill

For the "Uncle Bob" haters, the question is this: How many "oxes" have the Bengals seen "stuck in a ditch"?

:D

19. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

[​IMG]

Pure class.

20. Rey

Rey Guest

Convenience.