Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

John McClain reads this message board

I stopped reading his stuff about a year ago, but that's because I would rather read this board for free than pay about $120 per year for the Sports section and some other paper with words.

Once again, I am not John McClain.:spy:

SheTexan said:
John McClain has been reading this, and other MBs, for years. I'm glad he does. He is like ALL newspaper guys, he voices his opinion. As agrivated as I get with him sometimes, he is 10000000% better than Lopez, Justice or Megan Manfield!! He did an excellent job of covering the Texans last year, which was his first year to be assigned that particular job. As for him not knowing "squat," he knows more about football than most of you put together!!

Completely agree with you. as much as i disagree with his opinions. as much as i may think him an idiot, i respect him greatly for not being afraid to voice his opinions.

i can't stand wishy washy sportswriters who slap a bunch of evasive crap down on a page since they're too afraid of being wrong.

Porky said:
I think you are missing the point. Yes, it COULD be fact. The problem is, is that he cannot possibly know that. If Mcnair tells him, that's not a fact. If CC tells him, it's not a fact. If both tell him in unison, it's not a fact. I can tell you the sun is blue, but unless you either are the sun, or can see the sun for yourself, you cannot report that the sun is blue as a fact. There is no possible way for him to know for sure this is fact. It's that kind of reporting that makes me wonder sometimes.

Very nihilistic. There are no facts we can know, except one:

Cogito ergo sum - that proves I exist, but that is all I can know.

I think it is a fact I'm sitting at my computer, but since I'm not the computer I could be wrong. I may be hallucinating.

Since I don't know for a fact that you exist, I'll drop this conversation.

:)

Runner said:
Very nihilistic. There are no facts we can know, except one:

Cogito ergo sum - that proves I exist, but that is all I can know.

I think it is a fact I'm sitting at my computer, but since I'm not the computer I could be wrong. I may be hallucinating.

Since I don't know for a fact that you exist, I'll drop this conversation.

:)

So, to you taking someone's word for it = the truth. Well, the good news is the Globe or National Enquirer are looking for bright young reporters, so good luck applying. :ok:

Porky said:
So, to you taking someone's word for it = the truth. Well, the good news is the Globe or National Enquirer are looking for bright young reporters, so good luck applying. :ok:

No, I'm pointing out that you are saying never take anyone's word about anything. That is the nihilistic point of view, and while it is easy to defend, it isn't very useful in day to day living. I'm sure there are people you believe when they tell you something, and I wouldn't then say that you are dumb enough to believe the National Enquirer, as you seem to be implying about me.

Give me a little credit.

Runner said:
No, I'm pointing out that you are saying never take anyone's word about anything. That is the nihilistic point of view, and while it is easy to defend, it isn't very useful in day to day living. I'm sure there are people you believe when they tell you something, and I wouldn't then say that you are dumb enough to believe the National Enquirer, as you seem to be implying about me.

Give me a little credit.

A good reporter always cross checks, and double checks his sources. In this case, the two people who would have direct knowledge of this are Mcnair and Casserly. Both could have a reason to lie, or shall we say, "bend the truth". Therefore, it should be reported as speculation, hearsay, etc., and not as the gospel truth.

Porky said:
A good reporter always cross checks, and double checks his sources. In this case, the two people who would have direct knowledge of this are Mcnair and Casserly. Both could have a reason to lie, or shall we say, "bend the truth". Therefore, it should be reported as speculation, hearsay, etc., and not as the gospel truth.

Now I'll buy that argument. In fact, that is why I presented my original post on the subject as opinion and even referred to a magic 8 ball.

However, that is quite a distance from saying I should work for the Enquirer because I might believe something somebody said.

Not sure where this thread has been or if this is even relevant to the current discussion but McClain's reporting of Casserly leaving was based on two things: a) his personal speculation - that many of us shared - when Reeves was brought in without CCs knowledge (combined with his contract being up anyway), and b) alleged conversations he had at the NFL offices with people who weren't necessarily heavy hitters or good sources.

JM has said a few times - including this morning -that he's never had a revealing conversation with either McNair or CC on the subject of CCs future.

aj. said:
Not sure where this thread has been or if this is even relevant to the current discussion but McClain's reporting of Casserly leaving was based on two things: a) his personal speculation - that many of us shared - when Reeves was brought in without CCs knowledge (combined with his contract being up anyway), and b) alleged conversations he had at the NFL offices with people who weren't necessarily heavy hitters or good sources.

JM has said a few times - including this morning -that he's never had a revealing conversation with either McNair or CC on the subject of CCs future.

Which further begs the question - how can he know this, and print it as fact?

"There have been reports that Casserly will be fired, which isn't true. If he leaves, it will be his decision."

Probably more vibes and opinion than fact in this case. Who knows. I don't hang on every word these guys write but it makes sense to me that McNair lets Casserly leave on his own terms to "explore other interests" at this point. I've been saying that for weeks. It allows CC to save face, it helps uphold Reeves' conclusions back in Feb, and it minimizes the opinion that McNair made a mistake in hiring him in the first place or that CC screwed something up - in the context of a firing being punitive.

If CC leaves in a couple days it will be an amicable parting. Bob will thank CC for everything he's done to help build the franchise. Gary will thank CC for all his hard work prepping for this year's draft, yadda yadda. The tone would be different if there was a firing - Bob would then have to pull out the "we've decided to go in a different direction" card, and the fact is that they've already gone in a different direction.

My theory has been for a while that we will have a split exec staff by design with new VP of Player Personnel Rick Smith and existing VP of Negotiaions and Administration Dan Ferens replacing CC - with no GM by title. But I have nothing to base any of this on either except for what I see and what I feel ... so it probably won't happen that way ... but it's fun to talk about anyway.

Rightnow said:
On the Friday show, I heard MaClain mention that he was constantly getting ripped on this board by somebody. I forget what it was that he the poster was complaining about, but he does read this board according to what he said Friday.

So John, if you read this. Hello and get over Vince Young!

:redtowel:

John doesn't always believe what he says, I have communicated with him a couple of times and took him to task for one of his columns. He said I felt as though the Texans were going to do something I thought unwise so I put it down on paper, so they would look and go...OK forget that.

I respect him because several times when everyone else was going one way, John said other way and he was right. EVERYONE thought once Capers was fired, we would go after this or that coach. John said Kubiak within days of Capers getting fired and HE WAS RIGHT!!!.

John Lopez does a great job, a sportswriter when he has no facts has to use his own judegment. The draft was a great example, everyone had their dog in the fight. I didn't want Vince Young because I felt was knee-jerk reaction to Rose Bowl. I was ok with taking Bush, but I was one of ones who wanted us to win a few more games so the Bushwhackers would stop chanting for us to lose (NO CLASS).

I think we all remember when Rams 3rd string QB lit us up like he was an All-Pro QB, so Mario was best choice we face Peyton twice a season and the way Steelers beat him was to rattle him.

I enjoy the opinions of Megan Manfull too, she has a new look at what Texans are doing and I sense always try to find a postive angle. Lets not mention 610 AT ALL. Matt Jackson on Houston Sportsbeat had Reggie wlaking on water, all I got to say is if he can walk on water.

Where were 30 other teams, they all looked and said limited use back will only be able to carry 15-18 times a game. Y'all remember in 4th qtr of Rose Bowl who was taking a breather when they needed him, just MOO (My Own Opinion):twocents:

McClain can read?

Cause he sure can't write.

He's a fan who won life's lottery and gets to write message board material that gets printed onto thousands of papers.

He flip flops.

He speculates.

He reports things about Carr that are not true.

Sounds like a fan with perks, if you ask me.

Some of you can gloss it over and say "you respect him," and blah-blah-blah. I don't even live in Houston, and I don't get his paper, but judging from what I've seen getting discussed about him on this board...I'd have to say I don;t care for the guy (as a reporter). Might be a good 'ole boy to tailgate and talk football with...but I don't see his journalistic prowess at all.

There's a few fans here who get the scoop and report or commentate a heckuva' lot better than he does. And there ain't no way McNair or anybody high up in the FO is going to tell McClain anything solid about CC.

gpshafer_1976 said:
McClain can read?

Cause he sure can't write.

He's a fan who won life's lottery and gets to write message board material that gets printed onto thousands of papers.

He flip flops.

He speculates.

He reports things about Carr that are not true.

Sounds like a fan with perks, if you ask me.

Some of you can gloss it over and say "you respect him," and blah-blah-blah. I don't even live in Houston, and I don't get his paper, but judging from what I've seen getting discussed about him on this board...I'd have to say I don;t care for the guy (as a reporter). Might be a good 'ole boy to tailgate and talk football with...but I don't see his journalistic prowess at all.

There's a few fans here who get the scoop and report or commentate a heckuva' lot better than he does. And there ain't no way McNair or anybody high up in the FO is going to tell McClain anything solid about CC.

When I moved away from Houston, and our CBS affiliate pulled the plug on the Texans being our regional broadcast, I started readed the chronicle on-line for the Texans game wraps on Monday. (You can read it that way gpshafer if you would like, but you are not missing anything)

McClain started doing them this year, taking over for Carlton Thompson (I think) and they really went down hill.

I still usually log onto chronicle.com before I come here so I have some idea as to what you guys are going to be crackin' on.

IMO, Justice is a Joke, Lopez is tolerable and I lost any shread of respect for McClain that I may have had after his Rose Bowl caused "man crush" (can we still use that phrase?)on VY after backing Carr all year.

CajunTexan said:
When I moved away from Houston, and our CBS affiliate pulled the plug on the Texans being our regional broadcast, I started readed the chronicle on-line for the Texans game wraps on Monday. (You can read it that way gpshafer if you would like, but you are not missing anything)

McClain started doing them this year, taking over for Carlton Thompson (I think) and they really went down hill.

I still usually log onto chronicle.com before I come here so I have some idea as to what you guys are going to be crackin' on.

IMO, Justice is a Joke, Lopez is tolerable and I lost any shread of respect for McClain that I may have had after his Rose Bowl caused "man crush" (can we still use that phrase?)on VY after backing Carr all year.

McClain reported that Carr doesn't put in office hours at the stadium...that he instead goes home and watches film. The round-about accusation (by McClain) was that Carr was selling everyone short, not spending quality time with his other teammates, and that Carr was basically a 9-to-5 guy and not your typical QB.

I have it on pretty good authority that McClain's "report" on Carr is bogus, and that it has no real basis in reality.

So, yeah...I have lost respect for a guy who speculates but attempts to float his speculation out there as if it is bonified journalism...but then again, what does he care? He's got it made with all of his media passes and comps and behind-the-scenes access and etc. etc. He doesn't give a rip about what we think. If anything, he enjoys it because it stirs the pot and get people to zoom in on him and his employer.

Yvette said:
John is a wonderful gentleman with a heart of gold and he'll always be tops in my book.

Spoken by a Titans fan. Speaks volumes about John "Titan homer" McLain.

It has nothing to do with me being a Titan fan or his column. Its about John as a human being. I grab these opportunities every chance I get. Thanks John :)

Yvette said:
It has nothing to do with me being a Titan fan or his column. Its about John as a human being. I grab these opportunities every chance I get. Thanks John :)

Mrs McClain,

Does John know you are trolling the MB again?

Yvette said:

I bet YOU are John McClain!# i win.

:homer:

CajunTexan said:

No kidding. Sources at least as good as McClain's normal sources have revealed that John McClain was the person who paid for the full page ad in the Chronicle just before the draft encouraging the Texans to pick VY.:tiptoe:

I don't see where McClain's opinion about the Casserly/McNair dynamic is that out there. Personally, I agree - I think that if Casserly leaves, it will be because he wants to leave. I don't see a great pool of quality GMs out there. I can't imagine who McNair would be itching to bring in to replace Casserly.

HJam72 said:
Now that I know that, I'm gonna rip him constantly. :)

PS-I'll make stuff up if I have to.

I thought only Chronicle employees were allowed to do that ? :)

I didnt know McClain could read!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought his secretary Justice did all the typing for him.

Well well, I guess you do learn somthing new every day.

Y'all are being hard on the ol' boy. John is alright. I respect his perspective of football history (probably his greatest asset), and generally appreciate his radio presence (sans gravel voice, buy hey, that's how God made him, yeah?).

Anyway, I stopped putting any reporter's opinion on a pedestal a long time ago. Reading sports columns are entertaining, but I don't hang on every word. These guys get paid by the word, even if it's blather.

John is a Titans homer, but I chaulk it up to his Oilers connections of yesteryear. Old dog, new tricks and all that jazz. I'm sure he'll be a Texans homer when we start winning more games than we lose, and I'm sure he'll have both feet on the bandwagon when we start making playoff appearances.

Well, ole Johnny Mac put me over the edge this morning. I read his article on the 5 best/worst moves by Casserly during his tenure. I believe number 3 of the worst moves was Bosselli. :brickwall

Johnny Mac knows good and well that Bosselli was a package deal to get Walker and Payne. Of course, he conveniently left this out of the article. When looking at the entire package, I do not agree this move was in the worst 5. I also know that it was nowhere near the best 5.

Johhny Mac, please go to Nashville and leave us the h*** alone.

CC or coaches fault debate aside, I thought leaving Mathis (rookie Pro Bowler in the 4th round) and Andre (Pro bowler in 2nd year when they could have taken Charles Rodgers) off the best list was kind of dumb. Leaving Babin off the worst list was downright cowardly. Joppru was no one's fault. McKinney on the best list is a joke. And the Walker and Wade contracts were far worse moves by the front office than drafting Charles Hill. That whole best and worst thing is highly subjective and nothing to lose any sleep over. I spent about 10 seconds on it and turned the page.

aj. said:
CC or coaches fault debate aside, I thought leaving Mathis (rookie Pro Bowler in the 4th round) and Andre (Pro bowler in 2nd year when they could have taken Charles Rodgers) off the best list was kind of dumb. Leaving Babin off the worst list was downright cowardly. Joppru was no one's fault. McKinney on the best list is a joke. And the Walker and Wade contracts were far worse moves by the front office than drafting Charles Hill. That whole best and worst thing is highly subjective and nothing to lose any sleep over. I spent about 10 seconds on it and turned the page.
Please get out of my head aj. Thanks.

aj. said:

Wow. Cannot belive that that is his list unless the decisions you mention above and others were not Cass' decision.

aj. said:

rodgers was gone before we picked.

markbeth said:
rodgers was gone before we picked.

True that. I had forgotten the sequence for some reason. I recall wanting Andre more and all the debate...and being happy about how it fell. I have a buddy who's a season ticket holder for the U and he had me convinced on AJ long before the draft. (homerspeak but he also thinks Winston is going to be one of the steals of the draft as the first pick in the 3rd.)

aj. said:
True that. I had forgotten the sequence for some reason. I recall wanting Andre more and all the debate...and being happy about how it fell. I have a buddy who's a season ticket holder for the U and he had me convinced on AJ long before the draft. (homerspeak but he also thinks Winston is going to be one of the steals of the draft as the first pick in the 3rd.)

Actually the 2nd pick in the 3rd round. Just had to kid you about that.

Ibar_Harry said:
Actually the 2nd pick in the 3rd round. Just had to kid you about that.

Anybody else wonder if Casserly purposely drafted Winston at the #66 spot instead of the #65 to help justify the deal with the Saints last year where they passed on DJ?

Technically correct. I misspoke again.

65/66 66/65.

Spencer/Winston Winston/Spencer.

Potato Potatoe

Signed,

Dan Quayle

Back