John McClain Rant

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by coachdent, Nov 19, 2006.

1. coachdent

coachdent Veteran

Proof positive that you are not necessarily a "professional" just because you get a microphone and write for a newspaper!

John McClain went on a three minute rant filled with contradictions and belly aching about the game today. Some classy highlights:

He said that both sides of the ball stunk and that the Texans did not choke. You have to "actually be good to choke".

He angrily recounted the Bills struggles offensively and mentioned Lee Evans scoring twice and breaking a record for completions.

He then went on to refer to Daunte Robinson's comments about Losman not being very good. Robinson of course had the pick for a TD. Losman did not throw to Robinson's side the entire game. They picked on Faggins who was asleep at the wheel for the two TDs. But that didn't stop McClain from ripping Robinson and saying that "Losman just kicked your butt".

He said the Texans weren't ready to play. Untrue. The offense played very well. Their failure to convert late in the game had more to do with playcalling than it did with execution.

He mentioned that Chad Stanley great job. Ok. They had two nice plays downing the ball deep inside Buffalo territory. But in the fourth quarter, Chad punts a 34 yarder and then a 36 yarder on the final drive. He booms one on the final drive and that game may be over.

He then admonishes Carr for his "hollow record" and then says he couldn't get a first down. The last series went Gado right for 1 yard, Gado up the middle for 7 yards and then an incomplete pass from Carr. Hardly Carr's fault there. The final play was two slants to the same side of the field on third and short. This is 3rd and short 101 my friend. Buffalo in tight man and then run no rub routes, just two slants. Hollow record my rear John! McClain just finding his frustration an opportunity to rip Carr and be a Carr hater.

Someone might point out that we DID play well on offense. We moved the ball extremely effectively and Carr showed excellent decision making and showed excellent composure and movement in the pocket. John couldn't see that through his rage.

He couldn't see that we did run the ball better today, but that we need to be abel to run the ball better when there are nine people in the box. We need ot be able to bang out that last first down. The fact is, if we do bang out that last first down, the game is over and it is a win.

Our secondary struggles as it has all year long. Robinson struggled early on, but played very well today. Our other DBs are horrendous and you cannot win in this league if you cannot cover. We cannot.

But c'mon John...be a little more objective before you go on one of your childish rants. He almost sounded like one of the 700 level fans after they had a few in them. Certainly not Houston Chronicle material.

Grid likes this.
  2. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I've discounted everything he has said since He tried to pass off our drafting of mario as his "insider" info when he had no clue because he was so "sure" the texans were going to draft RB.

3. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

That record is pretty hollow when it isn't followed up with a W. Brunell set that record and he isn't even starting anymore. (aj brought that up on the other board). However Brunell scored points while setting the record and ran the Texans out of the building.

4. QB75

QB75 Veteran

There is nothing "hollow" about David's record. Any record of 22 completions is going to populated with short passes.

The fact is the game should have been won with 3rd down and 2 yards to go and 1:49 left on the clock. Instead of running and keeping the clock going, the Texans called for a pass. It was incomplete, which stopped the clock, and left JP Losman, the second year All-American from Tulane, with enough time to drive down for the win. Losman looked good today.

5. NATHANHALE

NATHANHALE Veteran

Well, you did forget ONE thing about our offense--it didn't score any points in the 2nd half and Carr has now gone 4 games w/o throwing a TD....

6. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

When records and great stats start counting in the win column I will start getting excited about them.

7. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

i know a lot of people hated the last play call, including me, but can you really fault Kubes for putting the ball in the hands of the QB with the highest completion percentege in the NFL who had just completed 22 straight? Any completed pass should get 2 yards and based on Carr's day, there was abouta an 85% chance of a catch and most likley a first down.

8. texflex513

texflex513 All Pro

I agree... no professionalism what so ever just a whiny temper tantrum. For someone who didnt see the game (me) he gave little info on how the game was actually played. Great job john! :crazy:

9. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

Both Mc***** and Injustice are Vince Young marks.

10. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

Here's a Link to said rant. You can watch the video from that page. J-Mac is mad.

11. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

John just tells it like it you cant blame him for that he's not the type of person to be on someone's jockstrap for tying a record when it was clear you that the record tying person had a very poor throw on third down and that might of cost us the game. the offense never had a trip to the endzone in the second half if i remember correctly only the defense.

12. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

So was it Osama Bin Carr who could not cover Lee Evans.

Ahhh Carr whiners, got to love them!

13. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

i think it was a combination of JP who looked light years ahead than carr and L.evans and you cant forget Kubiak also i blame him more than carr for the loss he is the i-diot that called a pass play on third down david just did the best he could which you and know its not enough:stirpot:

14. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Personally, I think the Chronic coverage in general tends to be too high when the team wins, and too low when they don't.

My mini-rant:

link: "Texans post game: I feel like using choice profanities"

In relevant part:

15. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Exactly!! You make it on that play your a genius, you don't make it, your an fool who needs to be coaching pop-warner or flag football.

It is wisdom such as this that gets many coaches fired for absolutely no reason. I have seen many times someone calling for Kubiak to be fired, if not here then on the espn msg board. This makes me scratch my head and wonder what people are thinking, or not thinking.

16. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Great post. The most frustrating part is that for every 1 fan like you, there are 50 that will take everything that dip**** McClain says as gospel truth.. and they will twist it and tell it to 50 other fans.. and before long, you have a bunch of people spouting ignorant garbage on our message board in an attempt to be cool like McClain and bash the hometown team.

17. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Since you're striving for objectivity, here's the outcome of the Texans last six drives:

Fumble
    Punt
    Punt
    Punt
    Punt
    Punt

And here's the outcome of their first two drives:

Interception
    Punt

And here's the outcome of drives 3 and 4 which accounted for 40% of their total offensive yardage output and 100% of their offensive point output for the day:

Touchdown
    Touchdown

The Texans offense scored 0 points and gained only 108 yards in the second half.

18. coachdent

coachdent Veteran

I was not striving for objectivity. I was striving for a coherant reporter who wasn't flumoxed on the sidelines.

The Texan offense moved the ball AT TIMES as well and as efficiently as they have all season. I mentioned the fact that they need to find a way to make a first down or two late in the game. I have also detailed on the boards here the major problems in doing that with the personel groupings we have out on the field.

The point of the post was that McClain was out of line with his behavior. That was all I was pointing out.

19. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

So the Chronic generally responds to the game as a generic random fan would.

20. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Agree with the 'at times' qualifier but the offense was non-existent for the most part in the second half - except for 'maybe' their best drive of the half where they gained 50 but still had to punt.