Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

John McClain lashes back at all you chicken littles

I hear you all loud and clear. And believe me, in time you'll all learn to like me as a regular Texan poster. At least I got you all to know my name. :)

I understand why some of you are bashing John McClain but I've kind of come to think of him as almost a Texans insider on the press side. Most of the time informative info on the radio or in the paper seems to come from him.

I agree with his take that the first game wasn't as bad as some are saying it is. But no one can dispute progress. Remember during the last season of the previous staff we fans could practically predict the next offensive play based on the formation or the fact that Carr called an audible. (running left?)

Bear with me guys. I'll be up to speed soon and be able to offer something of value shortly thereafter.

Thanks Texans84. I appreciate the welcome.

The Choke City thing didn't come from the fans being ungrateful. It came from the Oilers giving up a 4 touchdown lead in a play-off game against the Bills. They flat out choked. Then, a year or two later I believe, the Rockets won the first of those two championships and Choke City begat Clutch City. If it weren't for Hakeem, Houston would still be known as Choke City.

Also, I think the fans in Houston have a rite to be sinical about their sports teams. All these years and the Astros FINALLY make it to a WS, only to be swept, the Rockets have won two championships (back to back) while not winning a play-off series in like 13 years now or something, and the Oilers always had some excuse to lose in the play-offs (once it was officiating agaisnt the Steelers and once it was Joe Montana) despite having the best team in the league on about 3 separate occasions. We've been promised and jilted of our expectations many times. Now, the Texans come along (with high hopes abounding to the Heavens) and they give us 2 good starter years, 2 embarrassing fall apart years, and one hum-drum oh-we're-getting-better year. This Clutch City needs to see some actually clutch. You know, like the kind were Emmitt Smith needs 8 yds. or something to break a record and he just decides to bust one right up the gut for a 30 yd. touchdown and keep on going out of the stadium. We need clutch performances in 4th qtrs. and play-off games, not pretty uniforms and "Hey, the got swept but at least the Astros FINALLY made it to the big dance."

Reginald Veljohnson disapproves of this thread.

velj1.jpg

The Choke City thing didn't come from the fans being ungrateful. It came from the Oilers giving up a 4 touchdown lead in a play-off game against the Bills. They flat out choked. Then, a year or two later I believe, the Rockets won the first of those two championships and Choke City begat Clutch City. If it weren't for Hakeem, Houston would still be known as Choke City.

Also, I think the fans in Houston have a rite to be sinical about their sports teams. All these years and the Astros FINALLY make it to a WS, only to be swept, the Rockets have won two championships (back to back) while not winning a play-off series in like 13 years now or something, and the Oilers always had some excuse to lose in the play-offs (once it was officiating agaisnt the Steelers and once it was Joe Montana) despite having the best team in the league on about 3 separate occasions. We've been promised and jilted of our expectations many times. Now, the Texans come along (with high hopes abounding to the Heavens) and they give us 2 good starter years, 2 embarrassing fall apart years, and one hum-drum oh-we're-getting-better year. This Clutch City needs to see some actually clutch. You know, like the kind were Emmitt Smith needs 8 yds. or something to break a record and he just decides to bust one right up the gut for a 30 yd. touchdown and keep on going out of the stadium. We need clutch performances in 4th qtrs. and play-off games, not pretty uniforms and "Hey, the got swept but at least the Astros FINALLY made it to the big dance."

Fantastic post. Thanks for taking the time to give me a locals perspective on it. Obviously there is a lot of pain there that I need to respect.

...kinda amazing all these 'new' posters gotta mention Carr and how he was done wrong-where they been since 2002?

Well one thing you might want to get use to ..Native Texans are VERY proud of our state...I don't know if other states do this for their state, but I remember taking "Texas History" in the 4th grade.. one of my favorite subjects

two versions here for you to enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4xs3wQusjo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apMyjOAacyA

you got to go through Gene hackman :joker:

192px-SHouston.jpg

BTW that is Sam Houston

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Houston

one reason us Native Texans love texanpride

thats us baby!! we are and have always been so proud!

Fast forward to the last couple of years and the way this town turned on Carr and the Texans, particularly after the previous NFL draft.
half a decade of bad quarterbacking is enough for any fan base to endure...especially one that has their ownership in total denial of the problem. When you extend a guy for 3 years, pass on 3 franchise QB's then release the QB you extended for no compensation because nobody wanted him in a trade the very next year.....yeah, there was reason for the bellyaching. Trust me on that one.

As a new poster I should be doing all I can to blend in and keep from offending the regulars. But that's just not me.

I am relatively new to Houston, moving here in 2002 from Salt Lake. I wish there were more folks like John McClain to tell the folks to chill out. I've lived in many cities with major sports franchises and I've never seen a town so quick to judge and attack their own teams and players.

As a long time Jazz fan (boy, that should endear me to many of you) I remember the glory days of Rockets versus Jazz playoff rivalries. Before there was Clutch City, there was Choke City. It didn't have as much to do with the teams IMHO as it did with the fickle nature of the fans.

Fast forward to the last couple of years and the way this town turned on Carr and the Texans, particularly after the previous NFL draft.

Fans in Houston are certainly willing to get behind their teams and support them in a big way. I just can't understand the quick trigger emotional about faces they do when results don't match their demands.

Ok, commense with the name calling and verbal lambasting.

LOL! lol:

oh wait, you weren't joking with all that.....

I guess you've never been to Philly or New York, 'eh? I think you have a very limited world view, to be honest. I've seen other teams' fans rip apart their hometown teams WHEN THEY ARE WINNING!

"Results matching demands"...yeah, losing will do that to a fanbase when all they 'demand' is to win more games.

I am relatively new to Houston, moving here in 2002 from Salt Lake.

Before there was Clutch City, there was Choke City. It didn't have as much to do with the teams IMHO as it did with the fickle nature of the fans.

And you know because you were here, right? Oh wait, that was back in '94... :ok:

If you're looking for polite golf-clapping among Texans fans, you've come to the wrong place. It's called communicating, and regardless if someone wants to see things as glass half empty or glass half full, generalizing an entire fanbase is very shallow thinking, IMO.

Oh yeah, welcome to the board. :cowboy1:

Fans in Houston are certainly willing to get behind their teams and support them in a big way. I just can't understand the quick trigger emotional about faces they do when results don't match their demands.

I agree with him to the extent he is saying Houston is FILLED with fair weather and/or bandwagon fans. Not to say the going hasn't been rough, but case in point - the Titans game in Reliant last year.

People in this city are quick to say (when their team is down) screw the franchise, I'm never going to another game again, I'm turning in my season tickets, etc., etc., etc.

Yeah, the Stros stink. Yeah, Garner makes me wonder. Yeah, Purpura makes the decisions of a wet sock. Yeah Drayton has too many man crushes on bad players. But I love my baseball team and still enjoy going to the games.

So.... what was this thread about?

*edit*

Oh yeah, McClain. Maybe it's because I've only been here for 5 years, but have yet to figure out why he is a nationally acclaimed jounalist.

And to respond to BD, I grew up with Bengals fans and Browns fans. Maybe it's the midwest? But those guys are happy to have a team, and don't swear off their team when they go through a decade (or more) of losing. From that perspective, Houston seems very fair weathered to me.

We've sold over 61,000 season tickets for the 2007 season. I'm not seeing the mass 'swearing off' that is being implied here. Just because people verbally blow off steam from frustration doesn't mean that they don't support local teams.

"Choke City" was not about the fans. It was about the history of sports teams in this city choking away leads. I won't go over the history, but up until the back-to-back Rockets championships, no pro sports team in Houston had won a title. Many came close....but they choked before they could seal the deal.

Every city has front runners. I don't think it's something special about H-town.

We've sold over 61,000 season tickets for the 2007 season. I'm not seeing the mass 'swearing off' that is being implied here. Just because people verbally blow off steam from frustration doesn't mean that they don't support local teams.

True, we'll never know if all the posters and radio show callers actually did give up/sell their tickets or not.

All we do know is there's no more Gallery Furniture Gate :stirpot:

Wow, that's pretty venomous. What, did he sell you a bad bed or something?
I've hired tons of youngsters that have worked for him in the past....I probably couldn't get one good word about MM out of any of them.

True, we'll never know if all the posters and radio show callers actually did give up/sell their tickets or not.

yep. I never said that Houston did not have a certain segment of it's population that are nothing but windbags and blowhards. But they never seem to follow through with their promising threats (or is that threatening promises) when you look at ticket sales.

I think the venting comes from the emotional attachment to the teams. It's a passion of sorts. We might not be chucking batteries or urine-filled bags at our players, but we'll verbally grip about them just the same. We just have that 'southern manners' thing working, I guess.

I've hired tons of youngsters that have worked for him in the past....I probably couldn't get one good word about MM out of any of them.

This cracks me up because my friends and I have joked..and I did on this board...for years that the only way he could make th emoney he makes is if he sells drugs out of his furniture. I mean it is a tent with furniture. Its a joke but makes me go HMM.

This cracks me up because my friends and I have joked..and I did on this board...for years that the only way he could make th emoney he makes is if he sells drugs out of his furniture. I mean it is a tent with furniture. Its a joke but makes me go HMM.
i don't know if he sells, but i've heard from more than one person that mac loves the booger sugar.

"Choke City" was not about the fans. It was about the history of sports teams in this city choking away leads. I won't go over the history, but up until the back-to-back Rockets championships, no pro sports team in Houston had won a title. Many came close....but they choked before they could seal the deal.

Every city has front runners. I don't think it's something special about H-town.

Nope. Houston Oilers won the first two AFL Championships.

I am relatively new to Houston, moving here in 2002 from Salt Lake. I wish there were more folks like John McClain to tell the folks to chill out. I've lived in many cities with major sports franchises and I've never seen a town so quick to judge and attack their own teams and players.

As a long time Jazz fan (boy, that should endear me to many of you) I remember the glory days of Rockets versus Jazz playoff rivalries. Before there was Clutch City, there was Choke City. It didn't have as much to do with the teams IMHO as it did with the fickle nature of the fans.

Great.... Texans84 will have an ally this basketball season.. Y'all two can celebrate the "Fail Man's" past efforts, together...

I respectfully ask that you do not put the odd looking smiley next to MM is a fairy.

:bat:

LOL! You know, I actually thought about that after I'd posted it. Sorry Spec, but you have to admit that that little critter is a little fairyish looking. LOL

Back