John McClain has officially lost it

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Carr Bombed, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I've never said one bad thing about McClain and respect his opinion on many issues. I've realized he was caught up in the Vince Young hype, but with this new bit he has totally contradicted himself.

will it be Bush or Young

He said after the Rosebowl there would be no problem keeping Carr and taking Vince Young and letting Young come into his own under Carr.

Now he says "You can't have Carr and Vince on the same team, because it wouldn't be fair to Carr, you would hear "we want Vince" everytime Carr sneezes" and then he goes on to make excuses for Carr.

After the Rosebowl he said we should take Young for many reasons, one of which was, because he is a fan favorite and the fans want him.

Now he says, "You don't draft, because of what the fans want that is the DUMBEST thing you can do".

Then he goes on to praise Bush.

This is just some of the flip flopping he does in this bit.

Before the Rosebowl he was on Bush, after the Rosebowl he was on Young, now he's going back to Bush.

Does he listen to anything he says.

Oh well I don't blame him, many are starting to come to the realization that Young isn't comming here.

2. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

He should have ran with Kerry.

3. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

Just a few links down, he goes on and on saying there's no way Texans would take Bush over Young.

4. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Aw C'mon guys!

It's his right to be a flip-flopper. He's sports columnist. Go with whichever way the wind blows. That's his job.

Or so aj always tells me when I slam him for this crap.:brickwall

5. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Thats no different than anybody else around here. Including me.

6. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I know thats why I said I don't blame him. He painted himself into a corner, now he is back stepping out of it.

7. Oilers/Texans

Oilers/Texans Veteran

That statement is 100% correct. Teams draft to benefit themselves, even if it is not popular with some of the "fans".

8. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

This guy's just another fan who happens to write a column in a newspaper I don't read too often anymore.

9. CowboysTexansFan

CowboysTexansFan Veteran

I don't read too much of his work anymore or listen to him on radio, either. He's been around a long time, but he's not very smart.

I remember years ago when Ricky Williams came out of Texas and hired Master P's firm to represent him. McClain went ON and ON and ON about how people were wrong to slam Ricky for that decision, pointing out that his agent had a degree from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. So what happened? Williams' agent didn't know what the heck he was doing and Williams signed a horrible contract for a rookie of his stature.

Just last year, McClain was dumping on Cedric Benson, saying that he was going to fall deep into the first round of the draft and NO WAY was he going to be a top 5 pick. He may have corrected himself shortly before the draft actually took place, but he was just plain wrong for the longest period.

My point? McClain is at his best when he's telling stories about the NFL that he's witnessed, but don't count on him for good "inside" information or quality original thinking. I think NFL guys play him like a fiddle to serve their own purposes.

The Chronicle's sportwriters are a mediocre bunch. That's why I'm going to let my subscription lapse when it comes due.

10. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno.....what do you think of Megan Manfull ?

11. pearland

pearland Rookie

I agree and I disagree with this statement.

Why McClain is NOT smart: He makes poor predictions and does not know all of the football he thinks.

Why McClain is $MART: He knows who pays his his $alary. He make$ several po$itive comment$ on the Texans, no matter if he really knows if they are good or not. He know$ that he needs to paint a pretty picture for the team that he cover$ and help to contiube to create interest. He is part of the martketing team and he know$ it pay$ him to be po$itive on the local team.

Here is a very good lesson to be learned: Don't make your boss (or your customer) look stupid in public. Just ask Gerry Hunsicker. He was good. But what got he fired was not his performance but he did not defend his boss. Drayton did deserve some of the comments and pressure to make changes, but IT IS YOUR BOSS. If I make my boss stupid in public, I will be fired - within seconds.

12. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I agree. I think too many of these guys try to be like Chris Mortenson or other insiders at ESPN. I don't like ESPN's east coast bias that much, but I do respect Mortenson and all the other's about getting information. They are usually reliable. McClain is not.

David Justice, I just can't stand when it comes to football. Most of his baseball stuff I like because that's what he's good at. But football, I wish he would stay out of. I like John Lopez the best.

13. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I know,

I was quoting McClain, because it wasn't even a couple of months ago that he was arguing for drafting Vince, because and I quote, He's a hometown hero and would be fan favorite and Mcnair would have to add a whole other section on the Reliant Stadium and yada yada yada.

14. old football fan

old football fan Veteran

John McClain hasn't lost it.....he naver had it. If all the media types knew so much about football then why don't they own teams, or be at least the GM of one one or coaching one. My advise is leave the draft to the ones in the know.:superman:

15. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

Well, it does take a lot of money to own a team and having been in the newspaper business myself, those guys don't make a lot of it. And you definitely have to have connections to become a GM.

16. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

I think he's pretty boring when he does that, too. These guys aren't hired for their charisma, you know. They are hired because they can write and spell -- something most HS students can do.

17. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I'm pretty sure McClain and Justice and every other writer for a major papper gets paid pretty good.

Newspaper writers aren't really different than many posters on this board (atleast the smart ones :) ), the only difference is that they have a degree in journalism and get paid for their opinions.

18. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Middle school must have been hell for her...

19. bad

bad Veteran

I'd call it selling out. The NBA Lakers had a radio/TV announcer for about 3000 games (Chick Hearn, you may have heard of him), who would just trash the Lakers for their mistakes. He was honest no matter how bad it hurt. Granted, the Lakers didn't make a lot of mistakes back then but when they did he was the first to point it out, because he was the first to see it and he believed it was his job to let the fans know the true facts, as he saw them, to the best of his ability. The man never backtracked, not once.

Nobody fired him, and in fact there will probably be some award named in his honor sometime in the future.

There is a newspaper columnist at the L.A. Times, Bill Plaschke, who's won a Pulitzer with a style consisting of brutal reality mixed with a bit of humor and not even a touch of patronization towards his readers.

I understand that the situation is vastly different with the Texans than with the Lakers or Dodgers, who have both been around longer than most of us have been alive. Still, wouldn't you prefer the cold winds of harsh reality to the unnerving wash of smoke up your *****?

If the airheads in L. A. can deal with the truth I would think the people of Houston would deserve the same amount of credit. You are the fourth largest city in the United States. You can do better than McClain, who never saw a bandwagon he didn't like.

20. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

hehe . . . good post.

Maybe we don't really deserve any better than the likes of Justice and McClain. Afterall, this is pretty much a bandwagon type of town.:ouch: