John Clayton "Schaub now an elite QB"

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JWarren14, Dec 30, 2009.

1. JWarren14

JWarren14 Beer Me

Link

It's scary what sort of offense we would have had with an even half decent running game and a healthy OD.

Let's hope we get him some playoff experience this year.

2. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

We are an interior offensive and defensive line away from being a playoff team every year i believe. Schaub is the man!:fans:

3. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Missing from Clayton's case is the fact that Schaub lost his safety valve in OD halfway through the year... I'd be interested to see how certain elite QBs would perform without Dallas Clark, Wes Welker, Antonio Gates etc

4. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!!! The ultimate jinx.

5. No More 8-8's

No More 8-8's Veteran

In unrelated news; Sean Salisbury just punched a hole though a wall at the local bar he sleeps at.

6. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Kudos to schaub. Lets hope he carries it into next year.

7. JWarren14

JWarren14 Beer Me

Breaking News: Craig James just tucked his son Adam in for his afternoon nap!

8. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Peyton Manning has played just fine without Clark before and played just fine the minute that Harrison no longer was a great WR.

Tom Brady was already an elite QB way before Welker ever even got there and was running through multiple WR's every season.

Rivers has never played without Gates, but I'm pretty sure he'd still be a very good QB. He spreads the ball around very well.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

And with the flick of a lisp Matt Schaub's agents are about to be neck deep in glitter and bad perfume.

10. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

I think the point is, Schaub would be that much better had OD not gotten injured. Even better if we had the same running game as last year.

11. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Are you kidding? Manning has been spoiled with 1st round offensive toys to play with since the Colts drafted him. Every time they've had a hole they've filled it with a 1st rounder. Clark wasn't a 1st rounder but he's developed into one of Peyton's favorite target he's ever had.

I'll give you Brady but I'd still like to see how he'd do losing his most reliable target in the MIDDLE of the season not just in the offseason. Thats a huge difference having to change the offense mid-season.

And Rivers? Are you kidding? His first year as a starting QB LT broke every runningback record there is. He's had the best TE at his disposal every year. He's got big quality receivers to throw to and before this year their o-line was always a top 5 unit.

You can't tell me for a second Rivers and Manning haven't been spoiled with talent around them and have been fortunate enough to not lose major targets in the middle of the season.

Also, those 3 QB's are playing behind way better offensive lines than Schaub does. And while it may be only slightly, those 3 have better running games too.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Maybe Manning and Rivers make those around them better.

13. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

Our running game was a mirage. Slaton WAS our running game, as he
    was the ONLY back since Kubes got here that could average 5 ypc.
    Our line can't hold its blocks, but Slaton was very quick to the openings
    the line could muster for that split second. Our coaching staff bought
    fool's gold, and considers Myers and Brisiel 1st class starters, when in reality
    those two are not as talented as their backups.

14. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I wouldn't deny that. But I maintain that neither of those 3 have dealt with the adversity Schaub has this year yet he's still performing at the same level as them.

15. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Marvin Harrison and Marshall Faulk were already studs before Manning was drafted. The Colts have been playing plug and play with their RB (Faulk/ Eggerin James/Joseph Addai) and WRs (Harrison/Wayne/Clark) ever since.

Is it Manning or the Colts system?

16. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

No doubt Manning gets rid of the ball better than anyone. At the same time can you not say Schaub makes those around him better? We went from having 60 sack seasons to having 20 something sack seasons. When was the last time you saw the QB run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage? AJ didn't sniff 1200 yds and now becomes the 2nd player in NFL history to get back to back 1500 yd seasons. TE, along with the entire middle of the field, was virtually invisible past 10 yards and now we have a 4th round guy who is still top half of TE's only having played 7 games.

17. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Faulk's best season as a Colt (which was his fifth and last) was Manning's first year. Harrison did not take off until year two of Manning.

18. Texecutioner

No, I'm not kidding. You asked the question, and I gave you the factual answer.

You're really not informed here. Marvin Harrison is one of the best WR's of all time and he went down in the middle of the season. Actaully towards the beginning of it and he had been Manning's main WR for years. Manning still had a great season despite that.

Oh yeah, Austin Collie and Garcon are first round talent studs aren't they? Manning has made those guys look amazing.

The Patriots have had so many multiple WR's over the years before Moss and Welker ever got there. They have been the epitome of "plug and play."

Antonio Gates has been "arguably" the best TE in the league in a few seasons. Witten has been right there with him practically every season and so has Gonzales. And a TE is never your main WR any way. He isn't supposed to be. Rivers didn't have any major weapons until this season once Jackson finally came on big time and at the end of last season when Jackson finally came on. Before that he was a big under achiever.

I can totally tell you that Rivers hasn't and he's had less talent to work with than what Schaub has had. Are you honestly going to suggest to me that the Chargers have had one WR better than Andre Johnson? Please stop right there. Then he's also had Walter, Jones, Davis, and Anderson. That's a very nice collection of weapons in the receiving game.

I'll give you Manning before Harrison's big injury that tool place two seasons ago, but Manning's been without an ELITE Harrison for three years now and this year he made average guys look incredible.

You need to do some better research before making suggestions like this right here. Schaub has had a ton of weapons to utilize at his disposal and other than the Patriots with Moss and Welker he's had better weapons than the Colts and the Chargers.

19. Texecutioner

Dude stop it. Scahub has had a very impressive season, but he has not played as good as Manning at all. Manning has been the epitome of a winner this entire decade and this season was no different for him. It was his typical magic and some of his best. Schaub is still trying to get past 8-8 while Manning has been undefeated.

It's great to see Schaub mentioned amongst some of these guys but he is not an elite QB "yet." He is right there behind the elites and on the cusp of it, but you've got to have at least two great individual seasons and at least one winning season before you can even be considered elite.

Schaub is not even a top 5 QB at this point and I consider the top 5ers the elitists. He is in the top 10 though this year for sure.

20. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Harrison had averaged nearly 70 catches and 800 yds the two yrs prior to Manning's arrival. Once Faulk left the offense stopped going thru him and started going more thru the receivers. Anyhow, this is minutia

Point is, Manning has always had multiple, solid (if not pro bowl), caliber weapons.

You know, the more we have this discussion, the more respect I have for Brady.