Joe Texan Hangs It Up X 2

Discussion in 'Texan Tailgate' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jul 29, 2008.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I was listening to Radio 610 at about 5:45 pm when I heard one (I don’t know one from the other, I think it was Rich Lord) of the two announcers being as disrespectful to one of our own as I’ve ever heard....comments directed about Joe Texan. No matter what you think of Joe, one thing you can’t deny..........he breathes and lives and works hard for our beloved Texans. The announcer belittled Joe’s plaque hanging in the Hall of Fame. If that wasn’t enough, he made belittling sarcastic comments about Joe’s drinking habits, after Joe told him he doesn’t drink. Joe put out a great deal of effort for the aforementioned honor. And as for the latter, unless things have just again recently changed, Joe has indeed chosen to now appreciate life and have fun without the help of alcohol. A disgusting display of an announcer who is so full of himself that he fails to occasionally look at himself in the mirror.............for someone who the only thing he has a chance of hanging at the Hall of fame is in the coatroom.

2. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Sorry to hear that.

Congrats Joe on the ability to enjoy life and have fun without drinking. That is a huge challenge for a lot of people and I am sure it isn't easy with it being all around you (during tailgating, events, etc). It can definitely take a negative toll on your health. Someone mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago that you decided to not drink anymore. I admire you for that.

3. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

610 is still on the air?? I haven't listened to that station in over a year.

Rich Lord is a douchebag. I don't know why he doesn't follow his true love and get him a radio gig in Nashville.

Drew_Smoke likes this.
  4. Drew_Smoke

Drew_Smoke @Drew_Smoke

Rich Lord is a dumbarse...always has been. I missed that call but did catch him saying that Alex Van Halen plays bass for VH.

Why he is still on the air is beyond me.

P.S. Bruce Springsteen sucks!

5. gary

gary Hall of Fame

What started someone talking about Joe on the radio?

6. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

I really admire Joe for making the choice awhile back. It's not something that comes easy I'm certain.

As for Rich Lord...if he's all that 610 has left to offer, I won't be tuning in anytime soon. I'm glad I didn't hear the show...my car might have started driving itself to the station. :texflag:

7. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

We have your back, Joe. :fans:

I can relate to your efforts with alcohol, it's a daily thing for a lot of us. You have my complete and utter respect.

8. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Okay I know of Joe Texans on this site. Cool guy! However, does he have some sort of personality of a fan outside of this site where people know him?

So, he was on the radio station today, and they blasted him? Why?

9. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

It's not nearly as bad as some are making it sound.

Here's what actually happened.

Joe called the station and said that Rich Lord needed to stop drinking, because Rich said something about how the Texans could have easily finished 7-9 last season because of the Jacksonville game where the Jaguars had nothing to play for... which is actually true. It could have easily been a different outcome had the Jags needed the win for a playoff spot.

Anyway, Rich then said that Joe was the one who sounded drunk. Rich of course has ZERO knowledge of Joe's battles with alcohol (nor do I) - he was simply saying back to the person that accused HIM of being drunk - that Joe was the one who sounded drunk on the radio.

After that, Rich belittled the Hall of Fame plaque, which he didn't know about, and again - nor did I. He basically said the plaque wasn't a big deal, but in that smarmy way that he says things.

I think you guys are severly overreacting. I don't even think Joe would be mad at Rich. It was just kind of a weird exchange, and nobody brought up being drunk but Joe himself. Is Rich supposed to know to the history of TexansTalk.com message board posters?

You can call me names all you want, but that's what happened.

10. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

I don't know, but tomorrow I might hop over to their website and see if I can hear the show. I suspect they might be getting calls on Joe's behalf. :texflag: :kingkong:

11. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

Names! :specnatz:

Seriously, thanks for the post. We in Austin aren't exactly hip to what's happening and it did sound bad until your explanation. :tiphat:

12. YellerLotYeller

YellerLotYeller nice marmot

Thanks for the explanation, but Rich Lord is still an asshat.

13. Andrew6

Andrew6 Site Contributor

my wife and I sent an email discussing the outrageous accusations or should I say slander that was shown during their radio broadcast. I'll be listening and waiting to hear the apology tommorow. What time is the show broadcasting?

14. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

No problem! I'm in Austin too... I was listening via iTunes.

I'm in no way refuting that... but in this case, his biggest crime was belittling the HoF plaque, not making light of any sort of drinking issue.

15. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Omigod it was SO not slander! See my explanation above. You guys are just going to embarrass the message board if you flood 610 with a bunch of emails overreacting about this.

16. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

Joe is a cool cat and it was kind of cool to meet him at a Subway on Stuebner a few weeks ago.

17. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

Joe don't listen to those idiots, they are just jealous. Congrats on the alcohol free life, stick with it and take it "One day at a time"

18. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

Rich Lord has made statements in the past about Joe and his drinking. He had asked them to stop and they have ignored him.

I don't know why he called them back. Who would have guessed that Rich Lord was still on the air?

Maybe Joe should have said he was on drugs.

I am not sure what 610 would gain from putting down a Texans Ultimate Fan, a Hall Of Fame honored one at that, for any reason. It seems that as a station that carries the Texans games and takes in a lot of money doing so, they would sing praises. It also seems that Rich Lord is still employed by the Texans and he would see the devotion and passion that Joe exudes on an everyday basis is a benefit to his show and the Texans. His continued trashing of Joe Texan is further proof that he is either jealous or he must have done some bad acid during one of his weird roadie-like Springsteen exursions and never quite recovered.

Joe has done a lot for under-priveleged children and has helped raise a lot of money for various charities in the past. He continues to try to devise more ways of helping people in their struggles and would give the jersey off his back if Rich Lord or anyone who needed it. We shouldn't feel sorry for Joe...he will be fine but I think we should let Rich Lord know how we feel and how his continued bashing of Joe is getting older and harder to bear than his Springsteen stories.

I know Rich can't know about every fans struggles but I still intend to e-mail him to let him know my thoughts and to ask him to tone it down again. Here is his e-mail if you decide to do so as well.

richlord@sportsradio610.com

GlassHalfFull likes this.
  19. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I hate to tell you, but Joe's comment of Lord being drunk was in the context like "what are you doing, drinking Kool Aid." He wasn't seriously accusing Lord of being drunk. Lord, is very familiar with Joe Texan and his past "habits during tailgaiting and games." When Joe replied "I don't drink."
    Lord came back "SURE, he doesn't drink." Lord's intentions were indisputably
    foul..

20. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

Only met Joe 1 or 2 times, a great guy....

Rich Lord in MHO is nothing worth listening to...but I did just send him an email telling him that.