JJ Watt

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by beerlover, Jan 7, 2011.

1. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Has made it official he is entering the 2011 NFL Draft.
    This is a really easy pick for me to project #11 for the Texans, ideal measureables @ 6-6 292 along with Mario Williams would give the Texans a great looking pair of DE's.
    http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010611aaa.html

I've never projected a Texans pick this early, which concerns me, however be certain the kid can play & fit into Wade Phillips defensive overhaul of our Houston Texans.

2. Blake

Blake MMQB

Watt is definitely in the mix for the Texans @ 11. Guy plays hard and comes from a solid program. High motor, high energy. Just might not be BPA when the Texans run up their card.

3. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I would not be upset if the Texans pick Watt. Good player, solid player, very low bust potential. The more I watch, the more I like.

With all due respect SM, it is very possible Watt is in the mix for BPA when the Texans pick rolls around. He is perfect 3-4 DE size, has room to get better, is already pretty good, etc. Also, depending how the draft goes, the elite talents at positions the Texans really need (NT, DBs) may already be gone. And while I know some like the idea of grabbing another WR, I am not so sure. Blackmon, Jones and Green all give me the prima donna vibe.

4. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

Don't we basically have Williams and Smith penciled in as the starting DE's?

5. jay23728

jay23728 Rookie

watt may well be the bpa at 11, but i feel with williams, okoye, smith and mitchell 3-4 de is not a high priority. we really need a pass rushing olb. i feel like cushing is better suited inside and barwin may not be 100%.

6. Blake

Blake MMQB

We have him ranked at 32 on our big board. Taking out offensive players he is the 17th best defender according to us. But I will agree that things will change and who knows 3 months from now. And as I said, he will be in the mix, but probably not BPA.

7. Blake

Blake MMQB

Agreed. We need the 3-4 OLB pass rusher, and the NT. Not very many NT's in this draft, so it could be OLB by default.

8. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Draft is fluid though. Fact is Watt is a prototypical 3-4 DE. Strong, quick, smart, hardworking, etc. He has upside, and relatively high floor. I see him flying up the boards come April.

Thats what this is about, talking, and disagreeing. I love the debates with you all on this section. I have been absent a bit more than usual because class is becoming a pain, and I needed a break from the board (with all the negativity), but I am getting back into posting.

9. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

10. beerlover

Now that JJ Watt has declared, draft boards will adjust his stock upwards, I put him in our draft board to float his name out there to increase awareness so my fellow board members are down from the start. I'm thrilled rmartin65 agree's & in fact put him in his january mock as Texans #1 selection. My only worry is if he will still be on the board #11? He is in the mix of picks 6-11, Texans need some luck (take Andrew too) may consider moving up to address DL for Wade Phillips if he is his guy?

Texans are out of range now for either Nick Fariley/Marcell Darius (1-5 range). They also need a NT but will have to wait for the 2nd rd. or hopefully address this position with a proven 3-4 NT like 49ers FA Aubrayo Franklin. If Wade Phillips can come in here & nail these two needs it will help the secondary automatically plus they have rest of the draft/FA to address safety/cb position.

Did I mention he also fits the all important Texans criteria of selecting TE's? Yes he also played some TE, a state champion in Track & Field shot put, lettered in Basketball & Baseball too so the all around athlete applies which is a common trait of great DE's.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  11. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Phillips has said that he thinks he can turn one of our DTs into a good NT.

I think we are better off at DE than NT so I don't see us forcing a pick at NT or DE.

I think you'll see Smithiaklips working hard to fill any 'holes' in FA so they can draft BPA.

12. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

That would be ideal - sign a NT and FS in FA, possibly another CB and then just draft BPA (excluding QB, HB, P/K, TE, FB) if it is a OLB or DE - great. But if it is a WR or T that would be fine as well.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

After last nights bowl game I'm starting to back off Miller and am warming to Watt or Aldon Smith at # 11.

The Texans could use a relentless player on the DL.

No more OkOye,MW,Smith type guys that dont go full bore on every play.

Wat fills this requirement.

14. beerlover

It's early, I keep telling myself but felt compelled to start a Watt thread since he would be a foundation piece in Wade Phillips Texan adaptation of a 3-4. I think starting with the Cowboys selecting 9th Watt could come off the board? Next up is Washington, once by them we could secure JJ but they too have DL issues plus it's always a possibility another team covets him to be their 3-4 DE & make a serious move up to aquire him? Just don't know yet, will have to wait until the combine & see how he responds to the marketplace :kitten:

Stemp and The Pencil Neck like this.
  15. Blake

Blake MMQB

BL is amazing.

16. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

give credit where due. props to BL.

17. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    haha! nice work!

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

he got the Dallas pick also.

19. beerlover

Watt has great work ethic, non-stop motor, size to hold edge & create pass rushing lanes for LB's. He also has vesatility to bump inside in four man front.

Amobi Okoye's day's may be numbered.

playa465 and DocBar like this.
  20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Somebody hit this man with some rep. I've got to spread it around.