Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

JJ Watt Appreciation

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansBull, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Scooter

Scooter Funky

I have no sympathy for "we won't be able to win for Watt" the same way I did for Andre. Andre did whatever was needed, selflessly, and I can only hope the voting committee recognizes that. IMO Watt is one of the weakest links of the defense. Instead of continuing to destroy in his most suited role (DT3-5), he proved that he could play the 'sexy' position with great stats as a talented healthy kid will scheme freedom. Injury happens, and he still wants to play the sexy position (slowly) as an easy target for double teams and chips and Shaq/Yao-esque (you cant call it every play) holding. Any time he does move inside he washes out anyone to his outside in his attempt to be a pass rusher (not a stunt, they get blanked and have to adjust). His selfishness has turned a 4 man line into 3 for years.

Watt's talent is his hands first (possibly the greatest defensive hands ever) ... reaction, read, moves and leverage. There's a reason the best defensive player in the game (Aaron Donald) is playing Watt's former position, and Watt is an injured PR stunt attempting to be a 300lb Von Miller.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

Bold take their cotton.

Nice to see some differing unpopular opinions.

3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Despite what the goat fvckers think, Watt while not being what he used to be is still very good. His core/back injuries have taken away his ability change directions/Bend like he used too, there's a reason Mercilus is going so well this yr and part of that is because Watt has been getting double teamed more since Clowney has left.

CWTexansFan and TexansBull like this.
  4. amazing80

amazing80 Fire Billy O

Which makes it even more stupid that we traded Clowney

5. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Watt's a monster, I've not said otherwise. Where the problem lies is how he's used and the freedom he's given that stopped being viable years ago. We had a NY Giants SB type defensive line (Mercilus, Wilfork, Watt, Clowney), but were too busy trying to accommodate everyone instead of winning. If I'm wrong, tell me where - when Watt moves inside on pass rush, he attacks the tackle and the DE/LB has to adjust impossibly wide or stunt inside late - losing all contain and putting another blocker on Watt. We're still stronger at the OLB position than d-line, and Watt "not what he used to be" is still the best off the snap and his hands are still tops ... he is a DMVP defensive end abusing guards and centers. Or, he is slow off the end ... I would block him with a HB as he splits wide 9 because he cant get there like he used to (is supposed to).

banned1976 likes this.
  6. amazing80

amazing80 Fire Billy O

We should have kept Clowney and rushed all 3 at all times Clowney and Watt had the quickness and strength to attack the middle of the line. We lack creativity on the coaching staff to take advantage of them all.

santo, banned1976 and TexansBull like this.
  7. cameronkrazie86

cameronkrazie86 Veteran

The thing I love about JJ is you know he's giving it his all every single play. 4th quarter, tough weather conditions and he's still getting sacks and pressures when the game's on the line. Just a truly great player.

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This post didn't age well.

CWTexansFan, TexansBull and TheKDog like this.
  9. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Don't doubt him. He's still elite

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  10. watt99x99

watt99x99 Veteran

Geat game by Texans. JJ Watt 2.5 sacks! can't wait for next week!

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Apparently not lol. I wasn't able to watch the game, but in the highlights it seemed he had more burst than we've been seeing. Still saw him wash out everyone near him by trying to go wide, and the stat line only shows the two sacks, but it appears his explosion is returning. Maybe I was the motivation that he needed ...

12. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Dude hates the Texans as we both know. What do you expect? Lol!

13. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

Maybe you need to hate on JJ before every game. Remember when that happened to Mario Williams? His motivation thread?

CWTexansFan, steelbtexan and Scooter like this.
  14. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Lol yeah I remember now that you mentioned it. I pretty much said my piece, but I'll come back next weekend to make some remarks just in case. Part of being a fan, doing whatever strange things it takes to help your team win.

15. TejasTom

TejasTom Site Contributor

Watt’s preseason is finally over.

16. Scooter

Scooter Funky

I forgot to post, because apparently it wasn't important enough. Having paused and being several minutes behind, I just watched our first defensive play and it reminded me of this post ... because Watt was a no-show. A detriment to the man outside of him in pass rush and an unknown in run defense. I guess he only had one game in him ...

17. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Well, it was working, and then ...

Guess I won't be posting here next week.

18. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

Watt had a great game. And you did your job.

Unlike OB and the offense...

Scooter and OptimisticTexan like this.
  19. Scooter

Scooter Funky

I realize how negative I come off, but I think I've done pretty well to paint a particular picture over the years and that is one of frustration ...

There was a time when JJ Watt was alone on this category. Now 2x DMVP Aaron Donald is the interior lineman of note - this graphic being only one part of his dominance. Donald is an absolute monster in all facets, but he's no JJ Watt ... except when JJ Watt is focused only on pass rush. JJ Watt used to be "game wrecker" inside, affecting every play - moving outside when necessary. I'm exceptionally frustrated that he could again be the DMVP, but while a couple sacks and outside pressure are fantastic, Watt because of being a 300lb DT playing wide rush, is never going to be the greatest again. If he was working inside from the 3 or 5 technique and trusted guys like Mercilus to draw out double teams and RB protection, those hands would once again swim into a record amount of pressures and do MUCH more to influence games. Even injured, Watt is probably the most talented defensive lineman the game's ever seen ... and it's going to waste trying to be the 'only one' instead of allowing his teammates to do their jobs making him 'the one'.

My need to expound my point turned it into something hateful sounding, but it's all frustration - Watt is STILL in the running for best defensive player in the league. He won't hit that as a wide rusher, is at heavier risk to groin and leg injuries, is easier to target in blocking schemes, is less impactful pressuring the QB (not a pressure when you're pushed wide and there's no JJ Watt in the middle), is in the Shaq/Yao territory for holding calls outside, and the tackles for loss have disappeared entirely (loved that swim+dive+ankle tackle as the RB received the handoff).

I want JJ Watt to be our Aaron Donald, except at a JJ Watt level.

Edit: wow, I sure seem to enjoy writing books when I drink too much, very repetitive ones lol.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  20. Scooter

Scooter Funky

I'm not sure where the game is at the moment because I've paused for a while, but the second Falcon's drive is a Watt example. On a run play he gets cut by the tackle, and cut again by the HB before he can even get up. Then being wide he gets bounced by the TE into a late hit penalty. Then he lines up inside at a 5 tech (obviously jumping outside with his first step) that attracts both the tackle and fullback, allowing for an interior tackle for negligible gain. By lining up in a position of authority he assisted our run defense to make a stop.

Now if the young defensive end Watt he would've pushed or under the interior overly aggressive lean from the tackle and accepted the HB block through hit or fall, but "I need stats" Watt took the easy swim into no man's land and set a wall for the LB beside him.

On the TD Watt and Mercilus were together. I realize the result of the play, but Watt did exactly what I want from him and Ryan was hurried on a 5yd route from the slot. Watt can get there, consistently.

But, I'm drunk posting again. Somewhere between urging on as a fan, and "do as I say" because alcohol has made me smarter than everyone else.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    TheKDog likes this.