JJ Watt Appreciation

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansBull, Oct 9, 2017.

1. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

Seeing him go down was one of the worst things I have seen watching NFL.

The guy brings so much to the team and the city of Houston. One of the best athletes ever. I hope his career doesn't get derailed by this injury. Still a HOF'er if he retires early. I am sure he will still be an awesome person after his career.

I don't see how any future Texan can surpass how great he was on and off the field.

He will be missed. Get well. I hope to see you in Texans uniform next year because that is our Superbowl year and you will be needed.

Seegara, Say Watt, Dishman and 8 others like this.
  2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Huge bummer to see Watt and Mercilus go down for the season in one drive. Hope they both have awesome recoveries and are ready to go in 2018!

3. Mangler

Mangler All Pro

Good thing this isn't a career ending injury! Watt is young so he should be able to recover fairly quick. Get well soon big guy!

4. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Seeing the look on his face as he was being carted away was really painful. You could tell that he was feeling a pain to where he knew that his season was over, and that the same tragedy had hit him for the 2nd year in a row. All of the ups and downs of this season from poor offense to great offense and him struggling early on, and it just all was hitting him and going through his mind. I feel so bad for him. He's more than just our MVP of the team. He's the strength of the city. Get well JJ.

5. Sonny

Sonny Veteran

So, basically he was putting so much force into his rush that the thigh bone compacted with the tibia and fractured it. The problem with that is the cartilag3 involved and the healing process requires no weight on said extremity for at least 3 months.

I'm sure Dagger can and will br3ak it down better. Sorry for the pun.

Sucks.

Also.. I knew Merci tore his pectoral as I was watching the play and was reminded of another defensive end we us3d to have here that lost a year due to that.

Again... Sucks.

6. banned1976

banned1976 American

My concern over the last 4 years was the Texans would waste Watt's prime while dicking around with journeyman QB's and the Savage experiment. Forget about 20, we'd be lucky to see Watt get 10 sacks in a season again. 3 back surgeries and now this. And he has said in the past, when he can't play to the level he feels like he should in order to help the team get where they want to go he'd retire.

7. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

When I was watching it looked like he lost his balance leading him to over extend his left leg and put his whole weight on it, then the opposing tackle pushed down on his shoulders increasing the burden.

8. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

I think Starlett kicked his heel which created a rotational force that contributed to the injury. CnD will know better but in Brasilian Ju Jitsu the heel hook ( the heel/ foot is grabbed and twisted) can destroy knees

9. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade 2017 Astros: Earn It!

People once said the same thing about Andre Johnson. There will be another great Houston Texans player that comes along and surpasses the previous Hall of Fame caliber talent that we've had. Deshaun Watson may be that guy. He's already an exciting rookie on and off the field. This kid is going to be special for the next 10+ years. And Watson has a chance to have a higher impact than J.J. Watt being a quarterback, aka the most important position on the football field. As great as Watt was - easily the most dominating defensive player of our generation - he couldn't lead us to a Super Bowl. You need a great quarterback to do that.

10. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade 2017 Astros: Earn It!

J.J. Watt is already 28 years old if I'm not mistaken. He has even joked about walking around like a 50-year-old man. He has also talked about retiring from the NFL at 30 years old before. Hopefully he was also joking about that also, but I don't think he was because he sounded serious when saying it.

Given the nature of how much beating he's taking with his body one can only imagine his NFL career is already at the ladder end. These past two season-ending injuries can't be encouraging for him if he wants to play well past 30 years old. I'm hopeful that he'll come back healthy at some point next season, and hopefully plays another season after that.

People have to remember that J.J. Watt's playing style is the most demanding position to play in the entire NFL. In all of sports for that matter. He's literally getting hit hard every single snap with a double team, sometimes a triple team of blockers. Guys that are 6'5 and 300+ pounds. He's taking two or three of them on at all times like he's a modern day Gladiator fighting the Olympian Gods.

J.J. Watt is only human after all. Even though we all viewed him as a bit of a superhero. I don't think he has very much career left in the NFL as a player. Maybe two or three more years. Four or five tops, but I doubt he wants to play that long given some of the comments he has made in the past.

My hope is that when J.J. Watt retires the Houston Texans will have a front office job, or even a coaching job, waiting for him. I also think J.J. Watt could become the future Mayor of Houston, Texas. He's that beloved in this city that I think he'd win the voting process by a wide margin. His future is bright when it comes to overall life which is way more important than football.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    ROO likes this.

11. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

So basically since his contract his been injured. $29M paid these last two years, very likely he’ll get next years $15M as well. Even if we’ve seen the last of the generational talent, he’s been well compensated. JJ is a warrior. Hope he comes back healthy...but I’m not betting on it. Damn.

ROO likes this.
  12. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

I said on and off the field. Let me know when Watson raises 30mil for the Harvey reconstruction. I doubt he could/can do that.

Watson is great, and has a bright future, and there is nothing I want to take away from him, but JJ Watt is the ultimate professional on and off the field. No question. In my lifetime I have never seen a person as good on and off the field since Micheal Jordan. JJ Watt brings people together and you can't say anything bad about the guy.

And JJ Watt hasn't led us to a Superbowl - YET. He can still come back. And being a 10 sack player instead of 20 is still being impact player because of his leadership. This FO wasted JJ just like AJ. All we needed was an average QB and we got donkeys. JJ was working against opposing teams and the ineptitude of the FO.

As last night showed - Watson can't do it all and needs help on the other side of the ball too. He needs JJ's help. He's young, talented, and exciting, but defense wins championships.

Next year is the year Texans fans stop waiting for next year.

Sorry if this comes across brash.

TheMatrix31 and steelbtexan like this.
  13. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

A dynamic, superstar qb all of a sudden in a qb-starved football town ... and one who continually says and does all the right things off the field, in near identical JJ-like fashion ... why couldn't he?

14. TexanBorn51

TexanBorn51 All Pro

Sincerely I want to thank you JJ Watt for all you did, your doing, and all to be done. I appreciate what you do on and off the field. I'll pray and wish for a great recovery.

Texas Jake, ROO and santo like this.
  15. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I’m hopeful for a quick recovery, and he makes it back to help the team get to the next level. But I take him at his word that if he feels he cannot get back to the level he was before, he’ll hang it up. Even though he was publicly saying that “he felt good”, I wonder if he was thinking that the reason why he doesn’t have any sacks so far, had to do with his diminished core strength resulting from those back surgeries. It’d be ludicrous to think it wouldn’t have an effect. And then, you wonder if he’s thinking his reduced core strength indirectly caused his knee injury.

Like I said, I’m hoping for the best, but t just can’t see J.J. wanting to still play if he thinks he can not perform like he used to. He has way too much else going for him.

TexanBorn51 likes this.
  16. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

It looked like he was getting beaten due to lack of core strength on the play and then his legs gave way under the second effort. Doc's post in the injury thread seems to confirm how it looked to the eye.

A part of me has a hope that if the leg in itself isnt too bad an injury, just a time consuming one, maybe his back has a year to get stronger again.

Hervoyel likes this.
  17. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

Because imitation is never the real thing.

18. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Who's talking about imitating anything? Or that Deshaun is in any way not real?

htownfan32, Texas Jake and ROO like this.
  19. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

You had said in near like JJ Watt fashion so i took it as imitation. Maybe too strong of a word.

Still stand by what i said. It will take an amazing human being to accomplish what JJ Watt has done and how he brings people and an entire city together.

Not taking anything away from DW, but i don't see lightning striking twice or he accomplish as much as JJ off the field.

On the field this year JJ was still being held, being put in almost headlocks and not getting any calls.

Unless they make DW play with a ball and chain I don't see how he could play with the chips stacked against him in the same way.

20. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

Watt was his own worst enemy if you look at it. I just hope he blesses us all with commercials.