Jewish Jets fans pull strings, get "Yom Kippur Game" rescheduled

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by nunusguy, Apr 18, 2009.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

As suggested by many a critic of the NFL schedule that put the New York Jets' fans at a disadvantage if they wanted to be observant Jews, the league has pushed up the start-time for the team's second home game.

The game will be played at 1 pm EDT rather than 4:15 pm on Sunday September 27th. Yom Kippur, the holiest of days in the Jewish calendar begins at sundown that day.
    http://www.examiner.com/x-426-Sport...ous-holidays-conflict-with-Jets-home-schedule
    Sporting events are routinely played on such Christian holidays as Christmas and Easter, but screw around with these guys and they contact somebody named "Katz" in the NFL front office who gets things done for them.

2. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

Wait are you trying to tell me that the Jews control the media!?

Why I never!

:sarcasm:

3. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

A few years ago, I worked with a group that were Orthodox Jewish and they observed holy days so this comes as no surprise to me. All business had to be completed in time to be home by sundown on Friday, and nothing resumed until after sundown on Saturday, and the same for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. IMO, Christians choose to work or attend sporting events on their holy days and the Jewish do not. These observances aren't limited to sports but it's no point in scheduling a game when a you can guarantee that a large portion of your fan base won't be there.

4. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Good grief - if we (Christians) cared about that enough to impact ticket sales/viewership, they'd do something about that also. Ever notice that the NCAA goes out of it's way to make sure that Brigham Young University doesn't have to play a Sunday game whenever they make the BB tourney?

If you're looking for a responsible party, I would say it is far more a function of the respective constituencies than it is the "Powers that be". If you're upset that they play on Christmas or Easter because you're Christian, look in the mirror. If you don't care, then stop whining.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
    bah007 likes this.
  5. GP

GP Go Texans!

I bet there is a large portion of Jets fans who would gladly use the tickets that the observing fans could sacrifice.

J-E-W-S Jews! Jews! Jews!

(btw, I am very pro-Israel...I was just making a play off the old J-E-T-S cheer.)

6. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

A sacrifice to the heathens?:spit:

7. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are to the Jewish population what Christmas and Easter Sunday are to Christians. They are the holiest days of their year. (Forget Hannukah: it's a minor holiday that has morphed into a gift-giving event so their kids don't feel left out of all the fun.)

I don't see this as the league bowing to Jewish power. It is the league bowing to New York power. Jewish folk live everywhere, but I suppose the Jews who follow teams that must play at 4:00 that day are out of luck. Only the ones in New York get special consideration, evidently.

8. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Dang if Sunni Muslims had there way, games would be suspended from Aug-Sept do to Ramadan....good GOD dat would suck!

9. thunderwolf

thunderwolf Rookie

New York City has the largest population of Jews in the world outside of Israel, so understandably New York sports team have large Jewish support in New York and elsewhere. The complaints about playing games on Easter or Christmas make it seem like they are Christians sacred days of worship and not just commercialized time off work fro gifts and candy. In my experience there are many secular/non religious Jews who do not practice any form of judaism, but those who do are very devoted and make sacrifices that most of christian society just wouldn't care to make. Just remember that Jews aren't just part of a religion, but a people hood and culture.
    I don't post alot, I apologize that when I do it's just a rant on Jews.

10. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

It does suck for Muslim players though. Not even Gatoraid to drink

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

IF memory serves me correctly , Hakeem played and no water during the day

12. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

He could have water but nothing else. I remember it being a big story in Houston at the time

13. GP

GP Go Texans!

I, too, had thought he drank water and fasted all food items. I was only a senior in high school when the Rockets won their first title...which was when the media began to focus on his personal life (due to the potential impact upon the Rockets' path to the title).

And you're right. It was a huge story, especially for me...because I was like "Dude. You're playing NBA basketball, you're a center, and we can't have you collapsing on the floor." Thankfully, the fast ends at sundown each day of the week, and the person can eat/drink until dawn--The cycle repeating itself all month long. So, he wasn't completely fasting. As a Christian, the longest I have fasted all food was 6 days (and I didn't do a sundown break. It was nothing for the whole 6 days and nights). You still drink water, obviously, because you cannot survive (technically) more than 3 days without hydration. You can survive 3 or 4 or 5 weeks without food. During the meal times, I would find a secluded spot and pray, or read my Bible, or journal how my day was going.

Going that long without food is a very revealing time--You especially are able to empathize with the homeless, the destitute in other countries, etc. You see just how much you focus on food, how much you want it, and that you CAN essentially function without it (to a degree). Without water? Not so much. Your entire nervous system, tissues, organs, etc., are electrically-driven and need water to allow all the electrical current(s) to power all of it. It's why you get delusional when you're dying of thirst...it's like having a short in the wires. Still, Hakeem was having to cram before the night games, and then purge during the day. That can't be healthy over the span of a month.

From wikipedia (on the subject of Ramadan):

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  14. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Not to get off topic, but fasting for the whole month of Ramadan is done primarily by Sunni Muslims and Ithna Ashari Shit'e Muslims...just to let everyone know. Other denominations of Muslim fast for a few days only.

15. GP

GP Go Texans!

In Jesus' time, the Temple had an area called "The Court of The Gentiles" where non-Jews could hang out and it was close enough that the non-Jews could listen and hear what was going on with the worship activities.

It was a way for the Jews to not "defile" the Temple, yet to still allow them some degree of access to what they were doing. A "compromise" out of what they felt was a decent thing to do for those who were not of Jewish blood. A way to say, "Come and hear what we believe."

That's why Jesus was such a radical figure. According to His revelatory life and example, the love of God (and fellowship with Him) was no longer restricted to a singular race of people. It blew their minds. And the apostles STILL had to feel their way out through those years of establishing Christianity. So many years of doing things one way, then BAM! the rules have changed dramatically. Hard to grasp. Hard to follow.

So, "Yeah," the giving up of tickets by the New York Jewish contingent would be a casting of pearls to the swine, so to speak!

There'd be takers, that's for sure. NFL tickets are THE hot deal in sports right now.

16. GP

GP Go Texans!

True. That's noteworthy.

Hakeem is a devout observer of Ramadan. He complied to the fullest, according to the interview I found here.

Very good read. A good insight to how he feels about it. He talks about drinking water at breakfast and eating exactly seven dates (the fruit) as prescribed by the Qur'an. Talks about the day games and how he panted for water during the timeouts but did not take a drop...and how it made the drinking of water at sunset so much sweeter.

Wow, this thread took a cool turn.

17. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

I don't know much about jewish holidays but do they have to be at home at sundown or turn into a pumpkin? I personally think this is just a case of whiners getting their way but if the NFL can accomodate them its ok. If it was any other team but the NY teams I doubt the NFL would listen. I still want to know why the NFL lets them share a stadium but Houston and Cleveland lost a team over stadiums. The Jets should be made to build their own stadium or move to LA. I really want to kick some jets ass now.

18. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

I doubt that the jewish jet fans with tickets will be a large portion of their fan base. All they have to do is give the tickets to a non jewish friend..lol. I guess I won't commment any further on this subject because I don't know anything about jewish holidays or muslim holidays and don't want to know about them. But its good that the NFL could accomodate "gods chosen people".:sarcasm:

19. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Wow, this thread is a showcase for some pretty closeminded individuals.

"This is what I think, even though I know nothing about the holiday/tradition and don't want to know anything about it." Nice

Not only are some of you ignoring the differences in religious holiday observances (just because Christians act a certain way on a specific holiday doesn't mean other religions will act the same), but you are ignoring the actual, important part of the story.

1st off, all the league did was change the start time of the game. Its not like they went out of their way to completely reschedule it. They do this all year long through flex scheduling and no one gets upset. "Oh no! They moved the game of a team I don't care about up 3 hours."

Secondly, it is against Jewish religion to drive after sundown on Yom Kippur/Rosh Hashana. Like others have said, you are supposed to be at home. Christians don't follow this rule, so of course Christmas and Easter games won't affect them the same way.

Thridly, the original scheduling was an oversight to begin with. The NFL has always taken the large Jewish population of NY into account before, and simply forgot this year. The scheduling committee admitted as much. This was just fixing an error.

Finally, the main reason this was done was because the Giants received the scheduling accomodation as originally planned, but the Jets were left out. The Jets don't want to miss out on fan opportunity while their main competition is accomodated.

The issue at hand here is that the NFL has always accomodated the Jets and Giants so they don't lose a large portion of their fan base because of a difference in holiday (nothing prevents christians from attending on christian holidays), and simply made an oversight this year. They moved a game up 3 hours. This is no difference than the flex scheduling

I can't believe people are upset by this and making snide comments against an entire religion because of it. Real classy

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Can't believe? I always look forward to the thread starter's rants on Jewish folk. :sarcasm: