Jets, luckiest playoff team ever?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by dream_team, Jan 18, 2010.

1. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Week 16, Colts are up in the 3rd quarter. In an effort to not risk injury, Colts bench most of their starters the rest of the game and the Jets are able to come back and win. Their playoff hopes are kept alive.

Week 17, Bengals have nothing to play for. Some starters don't even suit up, many starters are out of the game by the 3rd quarter. Jets rout the Bengals, but Bengals clearly weren't playing to win from the start.

Wild Card Game, Bengals kicker misses two chip-shot field-goals. That last Bengals drive could have been totally different if they had 3 mins with only a 4 point deficit, instead of being down 10.

2nd Round, Chargers All-Pro kicker misses three field goals! Making at least one of those would have brought the game at least into overtime.

I think the Jets are a good team... and I'm hoping they beat the Colts this weekend (punishment to the Colts for not taking care of the Jets in Week 16). But doesn't it seem like the Jets are getting these wins handed to them, instead of simply beating the other team?

2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Scoreboard.

Many winning (and losing) teams can look back at a handful of plays that made a difference. The Jets are not special in that regard.

3. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

I hope they win it all.

4. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

Yes they are.

I hope the Colts kill them because if they find a way to win they will not have a prayer against the Saints or Vikings!

5. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

if they beat the Colts, i'd think they'd have a great shot against the Saints or Vikings

6. Phace786

Phace786 Rookie

Luck is the name of the game sometimes.

It would be potentially epic to see the Jets beat the Colts. Karma is a b!tch.

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Actually, I think the Vikings would be one of the last teams the Jets would fair well against. The Vikings are one of the best at stopping the run, but might be vulnerable to the pass if the rush is unable to get to the QB. Can Sanchez beat them in the air? Doubt it

8. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

The jets luck will run out this coming weekend. Credit to them for making it to the championship game though, they did get some breaks along the way but have shows a lot of fight. I just don't think they stand a chance against the dolts.

9. Giant Tiger

Giant Tiger Hall of Fame

Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO Wor
    I always felt the luckiest team ever was the Denver Broncos during the Elway years. I had never seen a team get so many bounces go their way, be it fumbles or bad breaks by their opponents. They seemed to always get slapped around (outrushed, outpassed, TOP), but still ended up on the plus side of the scoreboard. I never could cheer for them. I don't recall the Yankees or Lakers winning that way.

Actually, the Colts reminded me of them a few times this year (against Miami, the Texans, Ed Reed's interception). At the risk of sounding negative, I'm expecting more meltdowns a la Rosenfels against them for the next few years anyway. That said, I'll still be cheering for the Jets on Sunday.

10. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Just for giggles:

Trent Dilfer's "best season a by a QB ever" superbowl season

Code:
    YEAR	TEAM 	G 	CMP 	ATT 	PCT 	YDS 	AVG 	TD 	LNG 	INT 	RAT
    2000	BAL	11 	134 	226 	59.3 	1502 	6.6 	12 	59 	11 	76.6

Mark Sanchez "Eat hot dogs, hand off, watch Braylon drop a pass" CCG season:

Code:
    YEAR	TEAM 	G 	CMP 	ATT 	PCT 	YDS 	AVG 	TD 	LNG 	INT 	RAT
    2009	NYJ	15 	196 	364 	53.8 	2444 	6.7 	12 	65 	20 	63.0

Mark Sanchez will just replace Dilfer for the whole "You don't need a QB" argument.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Frankly I am a little tired of the fawning over rookie QBs who are lucky enough to go to good teams. Sanchez did zilch for that team, nada. 12 TDs with 20 INTs. Flacco as the uber rookie last year. HWWNBN put up stats very similar to Sanchez on a truly suck offense to which he was a contributing factor. Sanchez should be regarded as having held his team back rather than lauded after they carried him. Decent QB play and they aren't oozing into the playoffs with lay down wins.

12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

double post conundrum :(

13. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

To be fair, Rex Ryan has pretty much game planned his first two playoff games as a HC about as perfectly as you can with the talent he has. As much as it stung watching the Texans get spanked down by them, and as obnoxious as some Jets fans are, I gotta give the guy credit he's not making a ton of rookie mistakes during crunch time.

But yeah, Sanchez does not look like a good QB at all, and I'm pretty sure that the only people saying his performance is anything but poor are the rabid fans. Seems like a nice guy though.

EDIT: I never thought much of Flacco, but I think he's done much much better this year, even with a switch at LT and having dead bodies catching his ball.

14. Scooter

Scooter Funky

one of the luckiest teams ever just to be in the playoffs.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  15. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I wasn't talking about the Jets at all and was only using Sanchez as the most recent example. Just to be clear.

16. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

if only all new coaches were so lucky to be gift-wrapped a team with the 29th ranked pass defense and a rookie quarterback. why, it's like he's done nothing at all!

17. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Jamarcus Russell had better stats his first year than Sanchez

:turtle: