Jets looking to Move up

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by latim06800, Mar 23, 2006.

1. latim06800

latim06800 Rookie

While driving home from work yesterday morning on Sirius NFL radio the analysts alluded to that from within the Jet's organization there was strong urgency to move up in the draft with the pick that they acquired from Denver in the Abraham trade. While this leads alot of speculation as to if they want to move up from the #4 pick in a package with the later first rounder from Denver or if it just means that they want to move higher than late first round on the second pick and leave the #4 pick alone. Now I am totally for the Texans drafting Reggie with the #1 but if there were a very lucrative trade offer I would not be too opposed. So I guess my proposed question is what would it take to move up to #1 for the Jets and who would you take with the compensated draft picks?

2. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

This is a pretty easy question and answer here. They send us their two first round picks and next year's second and they acquire the first pick in the draft. Now one speculation on this is it could be made on draft day if Mario Williams falls to them at 4 if not then we keep Bush as our pick. Mario and Reggie are the only players worthy of our pick in the top 4.

So if the trade is made my picks for the first round would be:
    4 Mario Williams
    29 Nick Mangold

3. latim06800

latim06800 Rookie

Makes sense Coach...My choice would be that the Jets offer us their #4, 29 and 36 in the draft to move up to the #1. With these picks I would choose as follows:

4: Mario Williams
    29:Nick Mangold
    33 (already our pick):Best WR available
    36: Best Safety, DB or MLB available

4. Blake

Blake MMQB

I have no problem trading down for their 2 #1's, and their #2 this year, or next year.

#4 Vince Young
    #29 Nick Mangold
    #33 Jonathan Scott
    #35 Darnell Bing

What a haul.

thunderkyss likes this.
  5. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Would you make the trade if they didn't give us a 2nd but instead gave us a 3rd?

6. PokerStar

PokerStar Veteran

The second next year that Coach was speaking of is considered a third rounder in value. I cannot see the Jets trading their first 3 picks to move up 3spots. I can see them making a trade similar to Coach C's take, but them giving up their second or third this year is just not benificial to them. I mean we have to convince them that Bush is worth Mario, Mangold or BPANEED and next years second rounder that should be high also. That is a tall order in its self, but one that I can see happening. I am going to go with Coach C's prediction on this one but Mangold is not my pick.

Mario Williams
    Jonathan Joseph or Bobby Carpenter (Mangold will either be gone or available at 33)
    Nick Mangold
    Chris Chester
    Daneal Manning

7. cap1

cap1 All Pro

a 3rd this year is the same as a 2nd next year. Yes, I would most likely make that trade.

8. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

Ther would be no way that the jets give us more than the 2 1st rd'rs. The #4 is not that "2nd fiddle" to the #1 in this years draft. Last year maybe, but not this year.

The real question is....Who in the hell do the Saints and Jets want in this draft?

9. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

I would rather have one first rounder this year (#4) and thier second rounder this year, plus their first round pick next year. That would give us two solid (probably mid) first rounders next year. We could keep both or trade and move to try to get a better pick for someone like Peterson.

This Year
    #4 Mario DE
    #33 Simpsom FS or Mangold C/OG (who ever is still there)
    #36 Joseph CB

10. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

Not us.

Jets | Trading up for Leinart?
    Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:00:59 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the New York Jets have been rumored to trade up with the New Orleans Saints for the No. 2 overall pick in the first round and selecting Southern Cal QB Matt Leinart. "I know there's a lot of speculation out there," said Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who admitted he has heard those rumors. "I can't sit here and comment on any specific situation. We'll see what opportunities are presented to us. I won't rule anything in or anything out.

11. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

From what I hear the Titans want Leinart also. So what is to stop them from trading first round picks with us if the Jets/Saints trade goes down?

12. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Musical chairs, lol.

Hey, maybe we could do that and then trade with the Jets to go back up to #2 and take Bush. :wacko:

13. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

The Jets/Saints trade probably wouldn't go down before the draft. More likely they would have a contingent trade that is activated if nobody took Leinart 1st overall.

14. el toro

el toro All Pro

Hmmm...who out there wants Leinhart bad enough to move up to #1?

Another thought, if the Titans wanted to ensure that they landed Young they could swap picks with the Texans. Titans at #1 take Young, Jets (assuming they deal with the Saints) at #2 take Leinhart and the Texans at #3 take Bush. That would trim Bush's price a little and allow them to pick up something extra from the Titans.

15. Mightymike

Mightymike Veteran

the titans know vince will last to #3 easily.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

hmmmmmmmmm......... who would want Reggie bad enough to move up to #1??

17. el toro

el toro All Pro

Unless someone who wants Vince is talking to the Texans...

18. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

Sorry, I still believe that Reggie will go number 1, regardless of who has that pick. This draft is deep enough that I will be rather shocked if we get a so called "Godfather Offer."

"Yes, I will take one Battle Red Reggie Bush jersey, please. :) "

19. el toro

el toro All Pro

Works for me. If the Texans were more of a threat to take Young might they be able to get a lucrative offer for the pick. Of course, that would've meant at a minimum not going after a competent backup QB and perhaps not re-upping Carr for 3 seasons.

20. El Amigo Invisible

El Amigo Invisible All Pro

Would the Texans take Matt and then later trade him?:stirpot:
    I think that he is a close to the real deal as you get.His knees worry me so I would not want the Texans to take him anyway.