JETS eyeing Babin Payne Wong June 1st

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by MasterC25, May 27, 2006.

1. MasterC25

MasterC25 Rookie

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show_article?short_name=news&article_id=715

2. Scooter

Scooter Funky

with where we are now, i wouldnt release anyone unless they obviously cant be a part of kubiak's system, ie: todd wade. babin and wong have both played in a 4-3 system and played better there than in capers' 3-4 defense (isnt babin also up to 270? perfect size for a pass rushing DE). as for payne, he's one of my favorite texans and he's proven to be our most productive tackle ... however, we stand to save a solid amount of money, and he might not translate as well enough to the new system to justify his payday. unless we're in cap hell (which we're not), i wouldnt drop anyone we dont have to until we find out exactly what they bring to the table. as a 2-14 team in a decent monetary situation, there is very little reason to go too far with preemptive cuts.

3. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

It's way too early to give up on Babin and I can see him and Peek being very effective this year. We could afford to cut Payne after signing Weaver and moving him to tackle but I'd like to keep it to where we have as much depth as possible. I only see Wade and Wong becoming a June 1st cut.

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Babin's contract will count against the cap something over $1.3 million in '06. He'll earn in salary $584K.

Payne's contract will count against the cap something over $4.2 million in '06. Seth will earn $2.8 million in salary.

The Texans are currently more than $4 million under the salary cap. Not $11 million over. And they've already signed the draft choice with the largest cap hit (Mario).

There is a very real possibility that "Real Football Services" doesn't know what they are talking about.

texan279 likes this.
  5. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Amatuerish and inaccurate. Other than that ....

Wong has had "some injury problems?" Yeah, I'd say ... especially since he won't be ready for action until October at the earliest.

Umm...no. Teams incur "pro-rated monies" on the current year cap for roster moves after June 1 - the benefit is that if they wait until after June 1 can split the dead money over the current season and the next. Also, the writer is probably unaware that teams can now under the new CBA release two players prior to March 1 and still get the June 1 benefit.

If this article was written on paper it would be good hamster cage material, although I would feel bad for the hamsters.

6. Toro

Toro Veteran

Even IF Babin doesn't fit, the Texans gave up a boatload to move up and draft him. Old regime or not, I still don't see them cutting him outright.

7. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

8. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

Lets do it and get some good players or draft picks...It will save us $$ and help our team!!! Then Robaire and Weaver can be the DT's!

9. WILLIEG

WILLIEG Veteran

Maddict5, where's the link that the Jets are releasing J. Vilma? I haven't heard any such thing. Please provide link for confirmation.

10. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

That's because there is no link. He was being sarcastic.

11. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

I really dont see babin being cut, wong maybe, wade probably, but babin obviously has allready trained up to DE size the last few months and he's like a ball magnet when he wants to be. plus i think Kubiak will use babin and peek against each other in camp to get them in top form, then look out on the weak side folks! I think this is gonna be a fun year for texans fans.no lombardi year, but fun to watch. ahh heres a fun idea, get peek and babin to piss off TJ and make him chase them around the field every day. that should get him in game shape :)

12. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

the entire article seemed to be very innacurate to say the least. I don't understand how someone can call themselves a journalist and print something that appears to have very little truth to it. Where did this guy get his imaginary salary cap number? I know there are a ton of guys currently on the roster that won't be there at the end of training camp. I wonder if the jack ass just counted up the cap number for all 90 something guys in the OTA's? That guy is a freaking idiot.

13. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Geeezzz, if they only printed the truth, 90% of them would be out of a job.

14. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

We'd still have aj!:whip: