"Jets aggressively seeking deal" ESPN.com

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by 1-3, Apr 22, 2006.

1. 1-3

1-3 Veteran

From ESPN.com I'd say we do this in a heartbeat. Having picks 29,33, 35 and two thirds would not suck.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2415679 Todd Mcshay (whoever the hell that is)

"The only thing standing in the way of Bush heading to Houston is a potential trade between the Texans and Jets. Multiple sources have told me the Jets are aggressively seeking a deal that would catapult them to the top of the draft board to bring Bush to New York. Referring back to the Trade Value Chart, such a deal for the first overall pick (worth 3,000 points) would cost Jets something similar to the following:

• Pick No. 4 (1,800)
    • Pick No. 29 (640)
    • Pick No. 35 (550)
    • Pick No. 103 (88)

As it stands right now, the Jets own seven of the draft's first 117 selections, giving them the ammunition to make this kind of blockbuster move. If they made the deal with the Texans for Bush, the Jets would be left with three of those picks (71, 97, 117) in the first four rounds.

2. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

Got a Link? I don't see it over there. Also, who is this info coming from? If it isn't Kiper or Mortensen, I'm not buying it.

3. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

As I've said before, the only way the Texans trade Bush away would be on draft day, they pick Bush at #1 and if Mario falls to the Jets at #4 (which I don't think will happen), they take Mario, then give us Mario and another pick or two for Bush. The Texans are not going to blindly trade down without some assurance of who will be available at their new top pick, unless the Jets give us a deal like the #4, #29, #35, and next year's 1st round pick (3 1sts and a 2nd), but I don't see that happening either.

4. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

McShay is bored.

5. Trenches

Trenches Veteran

looks great to me.

do it and take D'Brick. fix the OL which has been the worst part of this team since day 1. D'Brick is the safest pick we can make. we need more players on this team and the more picks we get the more of Kubiaks players we get in here.

6. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

very dumb move for the jets. they want a quarterback.

7. MikeMc

MikeMc All Pro

It continues with the following:

That would give the Texans this draft day scenario:

1st Rd: #4 & #29
    2nd Rd: #33 & #35
    3rd Rd: #65 & #66
    4th Rd: # 98 & #103
    5th Rd: (to Buffalo for Moulds)
    6th Rd: #170
    7th Rd: #251

Two picks in each of the first four rounds.....and high round picks at that!

McShay is the new draft guru for ESPN. So he has some cred. They did sign Patrick Ramsey, so they have some insurance if Pennington does not make it back. They need a RB..Martin is on his last leg, Blaylock was a FA bust.....so they need a top RB. Makes sense for them....they have a solid team and plenty of draft picks to build upon a team that needs several players.

I would do it in a heartbeat! The top four picks will be Bush, Leinart, D'Brick and Williams. TEN will get a QB, so either of the three would fall to the Texans @ #4...a toss up between Williams and D'Brick. Not bad plus the extra picks!

8. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

Jets will not give up that many picks. If the deal does happen it will be for much less and hence the Texans shouldn't do it. If somehow the Jets do give up all those picks then the Texans should consider it seriously, but I'd still take Bush with the no.1 pick.

9. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

How does this work in conjunction to agreeing to a deal with Bush (or Williams for that matter) before the draft? From what I've read McNair wants to have the #1 pick signed before the draft. Can we trade Bush on draft day if we already have him signed?

10. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

I keep saying, if those four are offered, take them and run away. That's an amazing offer, and eight picks in the first four rounds is crazy. Besides we have the potential to trade away some of those picks (since they are high in each round) or we can package some together and move up at different times. The Jets fans will kick themselves in the future if we got offered that.

11. yako0o

yako0o Rookie

Old Article, and it contradicts every other peice of information that ESPN, or any other news services have put out.

Its not happening, Mckshay was just bored.

On the radio last night they said that when Casserly called the Jets --The Jets said "Not interested" more then once, and then when asked what they would give up offered some ridiculously low value---Almost insultingly low.

The texans are drafting Reggie, and I believe the action will start at 2 in this draft.

12. MikeMc

MikeMc All Pro

The Jets fans are all about immediate gratification. You know if this happens and they draft Reggie Bush, the Jets fans will either cry out "Blair Thomas" or they will be saying that Reggie/D'Brick/Young/Leinart will be the greatest player of all time!

13. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

This can't be true else it's be done already. Even our front office is not dull-witted enough to pass up these 4 picks!

14. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

No, if we have signed someone to a contract then they are obviously our pick, otherwise to draft him and trade him we take whatever cap hit for the bonus that we signed into his deal.

15. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

If the Jets take Lienart..and the Saints then take Bush.. and the Titans take Young.. we would get Williams and a boatload of first day picks :).

awesome deal.

If the Jets take Bush, the Saints take Williams, and the Titans take Young.. then the deal kinda sucks cause there are only two players really available at that spot worth taking..Brick, and (imo) Vernon Davis.. niether of which are REALLY worth a pick that high.

risky business, trading down to #4.

16. LoneStarState

LoneStarState Veteran

That's why it probably won't happen...

17. tiger06

tiger06 Veteran

I agree, and like MorKnolle said, I'm sure we'd want a guarantee of our guy being available at #4 if we were to trade down.

18. Zac

Zac Rookie

Wow, :yahoo:

This is a great position to be in!!! But getting it right is probably driving the Texans front office nuts :brickwall

OPTION #1 - is for the offense
    #1 of 1st round = Bush :superman:
    #1 of 2nd round
    #1 of 3rd round
    #2 of 3rd round
    #1 of 4th round
    #1 of 6th round
    (6 players =1 super star, 2 solid contributors - likely starters, 2 rotation - depth, 1 project)

or

Option #2 - is for the defense
    #4 of 1st round = Williams (immediate starter - and anchor of defense)
    #29 of 1st round (extra pick per trade)
    #1 of 2nd round
    #4 of 2nd round (extra pick per trade)
    #1 of 3rd round
    #2 of 3rd round
    #1 of 4th round
    #7 of 4th round (extra pick per trade)
    #1 of 6th round
    (9 players =1 super star, 4 solid contributors - likely starters, 3 rotation - depth, 1 project)

Wow, the defense has been largley ignored. Option 2 will allow a lot of attention to be devoted to the defense. Mario Williams can be that Defensive End that will give some credebility to the defense - applying pressure is IMPORTANT!!! Then you can address the corner back position, free saftey, Linebacker depth; all Need positions. And you can still get some help for the offensive line and maybe some depth at the offensive skill positions.

Or you stay as you are and get Bush, an offensive tackle, and address the free saftey, some linebacker depth.

As a fan, it's a good position to be in!!!:yahoo:

19. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

#4: Mario Williams (DE)
    #29: Jonathen Joseph (CB)
    #33: Eric Winston (OT)
    #35: Joseph Addai (RB)
    #65: Gerris Wilkinson (ILB)
    #66: Daryn Colledge (OT) or Greg Eslinger (C)

Awesome first day.

20. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

D'Brick isn't worth a #4? Some people want him at #1, not that I do. I'd love to have him at #4 though, although I'd take Williams if he was available. At one time, people were saying that Bush could go as low as #4.