Jets, 49ers, Bills, & Cardinals fan input

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by MorKnolle, Feb 1, 2006.

1. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I went to the message boards of the Jets, 49ers, Bills, and Cardinals a couple days ago to get their fan's opinions on the possibility of their team trading up to the #1 spot, and to see what players they are looking at getting. Just to give you guys an opinion on what they think, here's most of what I've found so far (I've bolded some interesting comments):
    49ers Fans:
    http://49ers.hosttown.com/index.php?showtopic=42280
    Jets Fans:
    http://nyjetsfan.com/forum2/index.php?showtopic=7251

RiotCommander and Runner like this.
  2. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Bills Fans:
    http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112482
    Cardinals Fans:
    http://www.azcardinals.com/fanzone/messageboard/showthread.php?t=470

3. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Almost none of the people from these teams were interested in trading up to the #1, and a lot of them wanted their teams to trade down, but they're in the same position that we are in that you can't trade down if no one is willing to trade up. I thought some of their comments on their perception of our team and our needs were particularly interesting though, and I bolded some of those comments. Read thru these if you want and comment on anything you want about them, but remember these are the opinions of fans from other teams, not necessarily my opinions, and several of their comments on what we should do are not very good, but what can you expect from fans of other teams? I couldn't find a message board for the Packers, Raiders, or Lions, so I wasn't able to ask fans from those teams about their opinions, and I didn't bother going to the Titans or Saints since I don't think either would trade with us anyways.

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  4. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Great stuff. Interesting to hear the other sides.

5. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I was the Texans mock draft representative on a Packers' board a couple of years back. I believe it was ran by a lady named Patty. I will see if I remember/find it for you.

Edit here ya go...It is one of the better message boards as I think about it.

http://www.packerchatters.com/forums/index.php?showforum=6

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Great Post Morknolle........

I'm officially in the Trade down club then........

But if we can't get the compensation we want, I'd take Vince over Reggie.

7. ArlingtonTexan

I would have trouble understaning why this thread would make you a part of the trade down club. None of these teams have a burning desire to trade up (if you listen to the fans). It seems to be more of a discouragement than anything.

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

hmmm. I went to the jet's forum, and did a search, to see what the rest of the country was thinking about Vince....

I found this thread, where the latest post was in November....... pre-Rosebowl, and Vince is still considered by some of their fans to be a top prospect.

Just thought it was interesting...

9. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Cool, I will have to go check that out and see what they say.

10. RiotCommander

RiotCommander All Pro

I really like that post man, thanks for taking the time to do it. Its always nice to see an outside opinion of our team. There seems more intrest in Ferguson then Bush.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

ferguson is coveted by a lot of teams, from what I can see. Cowboys & Saints are also interested.

12. ArlingtonTexan

Was wondering if you had the chance to talk to Packer fan yet?

13. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I posted it on their message board too, got basically the same responses last I checked it. Let me get on there again and see what else has been added and I'll update in a few minutes.

14. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Packers Fans:
    http://www.packerchatters.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2889

15. MojoX

MojoX Veteran

I have been Bush or trade down for Ferguson for quite a while. But I remember when the team drafted Carr, I was dissappointed as I thought Mt. McKinnie should have been the pick. You gotta build the lines. Now the team is in a similar situation, now instead of the stud QB they are looking at the superback vs. the franchise tackle. This time I am wavering. Bush just looks too good to be true and I am adamant about this team using that 1st rounder to get Carr some help.

This thread really emphasizes that we can yap about trading down all we want, but if noone wants to trade down, you better have a plan to make value with the pick you have. The 4 spot seems to make the most sense, but if the team does trade down, they may do better to draft #1 and then swap players with the #4 team to ensure that if Brick isn't there, they still get Bush.

16. ArlingtonTexan

Thanks for your work on this. Your work shows that same things that I see on general football boards when fans from other teams post about this draft.

1- The notion that their team can trade down when ever its wants to
    2- They all like Bush, but not enough for their team to trade up
    3- Generally, have a positive outlook on DomDavis and David Carr.
    4- Think the Texans should trade down, but not with their team.

If you are in the camp which wants a trade down, your hope has to be that the management of these teams thinks differently than the fans. If the organizations don't there is no way in heck to get a "Godfather offer"

17. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

What it says to me, pulse of the fan (not FOs) is that Bush is not as valuable as people think. If we can not pull a trade then we should take the player that helps us in the mid term to long term - DBrick or Mario. It is not sexy, but then there is no once in a lifetime player or else there would be a market for trading up to get him. Once again this is a statement regarding a sample of other fan's thoughts.

18. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

You wanted McKinnie in 2002? We picked up Tony Boselli in the expansion draft hoping that he would be our franchise LT for years. The 2002 draft was a decision between drafting David Carr and getting your franchise QB vs. drafting Julius Peppers and anchoring your defense.

19. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Im starting to wish we had beaten the 9ers in week 17. In this draft, having the #4 pick would be better then the number one. Think about it. Our biggest needs:O-line, LB, DE, TE, WR, S, CB. However, unless the leading player at that postiton has a monster combine, none of them will be deemed worthy of the number one. We might end up being pushed into a player we dont need. If we had the #4 pick, D'Brick, Hawk and Mario would all be options, for the Texans, that is a much better pool then VY and Reggie in terms of addressing our needs. Damn you Kris Brown.

20. ArlingtonTexan

Depending on which GM you ask, one of them will claim that the draft is about acquisition of talent more the resolving of needs. If that guy is talking he loves that fact that he is getting a supreme talent and just needs to figure out the best use of that talent.

If you talk one of the GMs believes that the draft is driven by filling needs, then the reaction is the one you are stating.